Luke Thompson consolidated thread

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He has been our best forward, however, he has been getting suspended alot. Playing 850K for a forward is too much unless you are the games best forward. This is my opinion, I know our club is known as the "family club" at the end of the day it is down to business and we need to win and perform at an elite level not wooden spooners. I rather be called the entertainers again.

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the bulldogs won’t stand in his way if he finds a new contract so it would have to be better then 2 years 850k a season

so assuming the tigers sign him for 4 years 900k a season starting next season we would not pay a cent.

thompson is looking for a better deal we are happy to have 850k off the cap if he is successful

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His on a bit but if you can get a halfback with class would you let Elliot and Thompson go and get a half and another forward
Only way I’d let him walk is getting a match winner in return.

Storm didn’t let Foxx go. They are digging their heels in with cheese, only allowing him to go for a like for like replacement (which I think is great management)

I know I’m bias but I’d consider thommo one of the best middle forwards in the league. His motor, his speed, his work rate. Not on the same level as jammer, but best player in our squad for the last 2 years.

For a game changing hooker then definitely you’d consider moving him. But even then we would need 2 props to replace him. And I doubt that would fit under his salary. Elliot, Jackson, RFM are bigger salary thieves for their level of return. Jackson should be a 300k player on the cap, Elliot shouldn’t be seeing the money he is. And RFM we still don’t know if he is a consistent first grader because of his injuries.

If Elliot and thommo could deliver say a jarome Hughes (think he extended) or a cheese, or a (struggling to think of another decent half that isn’t Pearce) and say someone like Spence leniu, or a fisher Harris (both extended) then sure. Even if you could get a brailey brother then sure because you are getting a young talent in a spine position. But for Ben Hunt and Matt lodge then I’d rather keep thommo. I think with a better front row partner we will see him lift his game again. Just need to keep him on the field.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Managers don't just randomly put out feelers like this. Agent would have run this past Luke before commenting in public?

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thommo has been one of few bright lights in an otherwise very forgettable year.

I’m not going to judge him too harshly for his suspensions - I think he’s copped the rough end of the pineapple both times. What is 7 games should have been 3. Totally different case to Featherington.

There’s no rush. He’s got 2 more years after this, it only needs to be sorted by 1 Nov 2022 and his manager can parrot and peacock as much as he wants in the meantime and the Terrorgraph can run with it.

The only thing that matters is we are getting value for money from him (my view we are), he wants to stay and his deal fits our broader cap strategy.

The rest is just noise.
Getting value for money from a guy that’s on $850k that’s missed 7 games due to suspension? Ummm ok.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
JK always has time for every member and fan. That’s the kind of person he is, a gentlemen. He will always text back.
Yeah certainly seems his heart is in the right place. I like how interactive they have all been. Some may think it’s all hot air but I’d prefer the chairman coach GM etc interact with the fans.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gus did clear out the likes of Jennings, Waqa Blake, RCG etc that were on big $$$.
Already DWZ has been moved on…. Maybe this story does have legs & especially now that’s he’s actually playing well, we could offload him with a prospective club willing to pay the ‘full freight’
Personally…. Elliott, Waddell & Stimpson would be the first I’d move on ASAP

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His salary has always been pure speculation.
As I said I don’t think he deserved to miss 7 games. He’s by far our best forward currently.
Not hard with the calibre of players around him. A player on his salary should be put to better use that can win you games. You name me a player from any of the most recent successful teams that is paying a prop @ +$800k. Over paying players in not critical positions is a major reason why we are at the bottom of the table. I’m tired of it, and if hard decisions need to be made that don’t make sense right now like offloading Thompson then I’m all for it. Im sick of this shit, we’ve been pathetic way too long.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this is BS.
That said, he’s a 750k prop so if he’s here already, it should take a club to offer 850 or more to take him.

Personally I think he’s essential to our current plight with this rebuild. Gives great go forward and quick play the balls. We wont jag a better prop than him at the moment. We NEED to shop Elliot Stimson and Waddell. May get something back from them.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Imagine a few years under his belt with a top coach and top system, would be fair to say he’d be very likely be the best prop in the world. I think Baz is the worse coach the NRL has seen in a long time and we are literally at a record breaking low point so I’d be furious to see him go, even if we didn’t pay a cent. Under Bellamy (my opinion) he’d quite possibly surpass Haas and JFH who are marquee players.
If he was firing at Bellamy like levels I wouldn’t even care if we had him around the 850k mark.
Could certainly live with 750k on her books and 100k third party. He’s been very good in a team that look like they have no idea.
Last time Bellamy had a small prop was Tolman. Even after they lost the GF against the Sharks he concluded their downfall was not having big enough props.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They need to shop around/get rid of - Cotric, Elliott, Waddell, Simpson, Hetherington, Allan and sign Ryan James & Horsebrah.

Please no fucken Asiata