Luke Thompson consolidated thread

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I posted about Gus years ago and was a huge fan of his appointment but if this does happen I was very wrong (for the first time on the Kennel believe it or not!) I mean maybe not completely wrong as we couldn’t possibly be worse than when we signed him but extremely dejected. I hope this is all BS cause if this is true I think it will have major repercussions.
We all love Thompson, he’s the best forward we have and plays with passion and good aggression, it would be devastating to loose him. But… I would say Gould has looked at our cap and freaked out seeing a forward getting payed that figure, that’s spine money, and he’s openly indicated the big money goes into the spine.

The reality is, most forwards run for around 100-150m a game, Mark Nicholls from south’s gets paid a third of what Thompson is on and ran for 138m last week, our fill in Ryan James whose also on a basic contract ran for 135 - that’s only 6m less than Thommos Average… so I guess it’s value for money.

If my gut feel is right, I’d say they are trying to make room for Pearce. Just a thought.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thommo has been one of few bright lights in an otherwise very forgettable year.

I’m not going to judge him too harshly for his suspensions - I think he’s copped the rough end of the pineapple both times. What is 7 games should have been 3. Totally different case to Featherington.

There’s no rush. He’s got 2 more years after this, it only needs to be sorted by 1 Nov 2022 and his manager can parrot and peacock as much as he wants in the meantime and the Terrorgraph can run with it.

The only thing that matters is we are getting value for money from him (my view we are), he wants to stay and his deal fits our broader cap strategy.

The rest is just noise.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would be pissed if we lost him. Only middle forward we have that is consistent and has bends the line and has endurance. He will only get better every year and I cant wait to see him playing along side a better roster. If the beat front rowers are around the $700-$800k mark, he is certainly up there with them. He might not be in the Haas or JT calibre now, but I reckon he will get there with more nrl games under his belt. We lose him, then you need to replace another middle forward while we are still looking for one. Cant see us finding 2 good middle forwards on the market.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He isn’t a $850k player. But he would be the 2nd last person you’d be releasing. Followed by burton.

Move Elliot, Jackson, RFM, Waddell, Hetherington. Heck even TPJ before you consider moving Thommo.

Just needs to stop getting suspended. What is it? 7-8 weeks this season? Hopefully none next year because losing a player for 1/3 of the season through injury or suspension can derail a season.
His on a bit but if you can get a halfback with class would you let Elliot and Thompson go and get a half and another forward

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whole story sounds suss and there's gotta be more to it... Still got another 2 years so he's at least 12 months off having to suss out another contract.... Either his manager or gus has influenced this... Personally I don't think he's looked settled since he's been here, obviously with the roster we've had it would of been hard for him.... I don't think he's worth any more than what he's getting
Remember he did get homesick when he arrived, but vowed to honour his contract, had a visit back to UK last year then said looking forward to a further three years with the club, No talk from manager at that time so all of a sudden??

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"Selfishly yes, but Luke wants to stay, he loves Australia and all that it brings, his future will be decided over the weekend Gus rates him but unfortunately the dogs have bigger issues than having a prop on marque money"

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who is his manager?
His manager is England based and because it is a Telegraph based item can only see the first few lines of the article. If the name is there perhaps someone else could post it if they subscribe..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's not worth 850K (which I believe is his true wage because I've heard rumours from good sources) but there's little use in shopping him if we're paying anything close to 350K in freight because we won't be getting as good or a better player for the 500K freed up

In saying that if we could 100% sign Moeaki Fotuaia with the money we got from shopping Thompson (if someone would pay 600-650K for Thompson) then that would definitely be worth considering.

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson is happy to stay for the money his on. His Manager is in his ear saying go cash in now before it’s too late. Dogs aren’t willing to play this game any player is replaceable. There’s only two forwards that are worth anywhere near that much. Payne hass and maybe fisher Harris.
Exactly. Unless he becomes the number 1 prop in the NRL I'm pretty sure we won't be offering 850k again to extend him. Lynne was desperate at the time she signed him. We should take solace in the fact that no-one else will be offering him close to 850K a season either. If his manger thinks he can con us into extending him on the same wage he's on now (or more even) he can try elsewhere. Tell him he's dreaming

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Elliot will go to Parramatta...after all they do play Sweet Caroline often over the PA at their home games and in fact were doing so in 2011.....

Eels Dude said:
I wasn't able to make Friday's game, but I've heard they were playing it. Does anyone know the meaning behind it. It certainly seems like a very odd choice of song to play at a sporting game. For any club in any code.
No idea why but according to wikipedia we aren't the only ones who play it.
"Sweet Caroline" is popular at sporting events. Sherrie Levy, Neil Diamond's press agent, remarked, "I'm not sure how it happened, but we're very pleased that it happened." The song is a tradition in many Major League Baseball stadiums. Boston's Fenway Park has played the song since at least 1997, and it has been played at every game in the middle of the eighth inning since 2002 by the influence of Amy Tobey, a production agent responsible for the audio played over the park's loudspeakers. "She had noticed 'Sweet Caroline' was used at other sporting events, and she decided to send the sweetness over the Fenway speakers." On opening night of the 2010 season at Fenway Park, the song was performed (albeit abridged) by Diamond himself. It is also played at sporting events at the University of Pittsburgh.

The song is also played during television timeouts of Davidson College men's basketball games and gained national attention during the school's 2008 run to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
"Selfishly yes, but Luke wants to stay, he loves Australia and all that it brings, his future will be decided over the weekend Gus rates him but unfortunately the dogs have bigger issues than having a prop on marque money"
Can you explain to her was said in context?

I can’t find the thread to read?

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great player but he is a hot head and will always be in the spotlight with judiciary after his start to nrl career.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Thanks. He seems to say it all.

Hopefully he isn’t moved. He’s quality with Pangai and Vaughan we finally have
Something to work with.

Only way it makes any sense if he’s really on 850k+ but if we pay him a cent to go elsewhere we are fucking stupid.

Keep him. Get Brandon committed for 23.

Rfm, wakeham, Vaughan, dufty, Stimson all off then.

Year after Elliott, jacko, Waddell, hetho, Allen, Flanagan, cotric etc….