Luke Thompson consolidated thread

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What do you think he gets offered on the open market if he was a free agent tomorrow?

He doesn't need to be upgraded the minute he walks in the door but it will happen next year
yeh sometime after halfway say June/July, has to play well obviously.
No doubt a potentially great player but has to do the job we think he will.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What do you think he gets offered on the open market if he was a free agent tomorrow?

He doesn't need to be upgraded the minute he walks in the door but it will happen next year
He has added at least 200k to his worth just this season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He has added at least 200k to his worth just this season.
probably 700k at a top team if he plays like he does next year like he has this year (can he in our team? that's the question really). In two years time it could be even more.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
- Players on marquee money outside of the spine.
- "Wants to hear a player say they want to be at the club." Those players get "looked after" better then those who go to market.
- He becomes "disinterested" with players who contemplate leaving.
- Successful clubs keep playing groups together.
- He never loses a player he wants to keep.
- Players have never gone and offered themselves around at clubs he's been involved at due in part to the culture.
Yeah I had a listen as well out of curiosity. Gus really emphasizing the point around wanting to keep players who want to stay at the club is an interesting one given what's happening. Also was very clear around players actually saying they want to stay and not using other clubs in negotiations as leverage. We've heard Thompson definitely wants to stay so what's the issue? Gus is either playing the PR game (unlikely I think) or.....(and this is reading between the lines like a few others have already done)
- Gus has had a look at the salary cap and seen the ridiculous $ we have tied up in lower priority positions, knowing full well how much is needed for the spine. Already contemplating no doubt who he'll need to release to make way for a Pearce potentially + hooker.
- Around the same time, Thompson's manager approaches the club for an extension or upgrade on current deal (or both) and no doubt mentions during the negotiation that Luke could get this $ or more from other suitors like the Tigers, Cowboys, whoever.
- This rubs Gus the wrong way, especially in light of the cap situation he's only recently got his head around. All of the sudden a player he probably wasn't even contemplating as a number 1 candidate to release given his quality all of the sudden becomes just that due mostly to the horrible timing of his manager.
- Gus doesn't budge, point blank tells the manager Luke is more than welcome to explore his options (probably not the response they were expecting).

And here we are. A lot of assumptions put in there on my part but that's my read on it especially in light of Gus comments on the podcast.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting this one!… if we’re looking at shopping our best front rower we must have a bigger plan installed … surely a marquee spine player?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wests Tigers and North Queensland are ready to pounce on English international Luke Thompson, who may be on the move from Canterbury at season’s end.
The Tigers have tabled a three-year deal for Thompson with the prop having already met coach Michael Maguire about a possible shift next season. The Cowboys have also expressed a formal interest to try to entice Thompson to Townsville.

Several other clubs are in the process of trying to work out how they could squeeze Thompson into their ranks after he suddenly came on the open market.

Luke Thompson has been offered a three-year deal by Wests Tigers. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Luke Thompson has been offered a three-year deal by Wests Tigers. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Thompson has two years left on his deal at Belmore and could still remain at Canterbury long-term if they can’t find a club to pick up a large chunk of his contract.

The Bulldogs aren’t forcing him out, nor is Thompson agitating to leave but with more than $1.4 million remaining on his contract, the club has already plenty of cap space invested in their forward pack. Tevita Pangai Jr and Paul Vaughan are joining the likes of Josh Jackson and Adam Elliott on decent contracts.
Hang on. They said he is on $850k per season but has $1.4M left on his contract?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

He isn't a free agent though, he's locked into a deal that no one else wanted to match months ago. Just look at Crichton in that left centre position last year, fucking scammed Penrith into mega $$$ and now he's playing on the wing.

The club and Burton should only be worrying about him playing good footy next season, if he does that then the rest will come. Talk of an upgrade now is ridiculous and just shows how shit scared the club is.

Malla

Reaction score
Good player but he’s not worth what he’s getting paid, that’s just what this is all about. If we want to rebuild effectively I don’t think we can have him as our highest paid.

Can’t remember where I heard Gus say it but he mentioned that he needs to assess the salary cap position of the Dogs and where the bulk of the money was going and start from there - think this makes sense when you think about next year we will probably have to upgrade Burton’s money to keep him here and we have world class hooker signing on with us :-)smirk::smirk:).

I would not be surprised he Cotric is next to go. He looks grossly overpaid now when we look at our team next year.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He isn't a free agent though, he's locked into a deal that no one else wanted to match months ago. Just look at Crichton in that left centre position last year, fucking scammed Penrith into mega $$$ and now he's playing on the wing.

The club and Burton should only be worrying about him playing good footy next season, if he does that then the rest will come. Talk of an upgrade now is ridiculous and just shows how shit scared the club is.
Yep, all true - but the reality is, he can talk to clubs next November, of course the club are scared.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good player but he’s not worth what he’s getting paid, that’s just what this is all about. If we want to rebuild effectively I don’t think we can have him as our highest paid.

Can’t remember where I heard Gus say it but he mentioned that he needs to assess the salary cap position of the Dogs and where the bulk of the money was going and start from there - think this makes sense when you think about next year we will probably have to upgrade Burton’s money to keep him here and we have world class hooker signing on with us :-)smirk::smirk:).

I would not be surprised he Cotric is next to go. He looks grossly overpaid now when we look at our team next year.
Yep Cotric has to go before Thommo, he provides much less bang for buck in my opinion.
Cotric is also probably more marketable than all the other numpties that have to go such as waddles , idiot, simpleton etc etc unfortunately we are likely going to have to see much or all of their contracts out.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we have to pay freight on Thompson than it's not much of a benefit either way.

Being able to move both (Elliot and Hetherington) and the signing a fringe FGer will still be better than moving Thompson
I agree. Just saying I doubt anyone takes players like Elliot or Hetho. They’re both shit and no one else wants our shit.

Malla

Reaction score
I agree. Just saying I doubt anyone takes players like Elliot or Hetho. They’re both shit and no one else wants our shit.
Elliot and Hetherington won’t go anywhere because they’re on cheap deals compared to market.