Luke Patten to hang up his boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Salford City Reds' Australian fullback Luke Patten will hang up his boots at the end of the season and return Down Under, the club have announced.

Patten, 32, who is in his second season in Super League, broke the news to his team-mates this afternoon.

"My body has made this decision for me," said Patten, who joined Salford on an initial three-year deal.

"I'm a player who has always got confidence from training really hard, but these days it takes me all week to recover from a game so I can't do that as well I want to."

Widely regarded at the best uncapped fullback in the Australian competition, the 'General' was unfortunate to ply his trade at the same time as Melbourne's Billy Slater.

He played more than 300 NRL games, including 224 for Canterbury Bulldogs, and scored in excess of 100 tries before coming to England.

An ever-present last year, Patten missed his first match for the Reds when he sat out Sunday's Challenge Cup win at Whitehaven and he is hoping to help his side reach the play-offs before he hangs up his boots.

"The team has played better this year in patches and I have enjoyed that, but I'm still not at where I want myself to be," he said.

"I want to go out after a strong season. I guess I don't want to embarrass myself as the guy who had one season too many.

"I'm comfortable with the decision and want to go out playing really well and help the Reds make the top eight and look at beating Leeds in the next round of the Challenge Cup."

Patten has spoken about possibly taking up refereeing or staying in the game on the administrative side, but he added: "I have no concrete plans to be honest.

"After today people will know I'm available and we'll see what happens. I think refereeing is out of the question now because of the training but I certainly want to stay involved in the game."

http://www.nrl.com/luke-patten-to-hang-up-his-boots/tabid/10874/newsid/66941/default.aspx

Congratulations to a Champion of a player and a bloke, on a stellar career!!

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on ya general. One of my all time favourite Canterbury players. Hopefully he comes back in some form for us

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
The General, champion player for us over the years !!

Congratulations on the retirement, hope he finds success post football.

:grinning:

captain dropbut

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
good on him,end of an era the last steeler still going around in either nrl or sl

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fullback coach in NRL..

Surely if he wants to come back to Aus the Bulldogs will look after him.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
*SALUTE* to the General.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I'm gonna rant .... Luke deserves it.

Many players come to our club. It's an intricate dance of co-incidence, necessity and fate. Some get promoted from within, some get poached from outside, some put their hands up in unlikely places and demand selection.

I've been a fan of our club for 30 years : There's something about Belmore, our systems and the Bulldogs fans, that adds a certain invincibility.

I've seen talented "could-be" types arrive as raw boned, hard workers, and emerge after a few years as MEN.

We take no names, and make them into household names. Players come to us as potential footballers, and leave as rugby league giants !!!

So often (and it's one of the proudest things I like about our clubs history) we see the Blue'n'White transform players into greater than the sum of their parts ... but in rare, exceptional cases, we have the likes of Luke Patten.

For everything the Bulldogs gave Luke Patten ... Luke Patten has given it back to the Bulldogs.

He may not have played for NSW. He may not have won many awards. But it is undeniable that Luke Patten has made our club, our lives, our memories and rugby league in general, infinitely richer because of his service and presence in it.

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Person & Great Reliable player..
was a great influence and Fan favourite in our team..
all the best Luke , hope you go out with a Bang to end your great Career

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
great player great person

gonna be missed heaps, hopefully he gets a job with the bulldogs

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on him, Always a favourite of mine whilst with the Doggies, goodluck to him with his future endeavours

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Didn't he say he'd come back and sit with The Army at the games?

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
onya general....definately up there as one of my favourite footballers....a champion bloke that deserved representative honours but unfortunately was never picked....for me the guy is a bulldogs legend :grinning:

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the General. One of my all-time favourites. :love: :love:

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Didn't he say he'd come back and sit with The Army at the games?
Yes.

The ultimate professional, great clubman and a very loyal person. Wish him all the best and hope to have him involved in league in sort of capacity!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if he stuck to his word on that.

A true champion in every respect and the few times I've talked to him, he seemed a real nice down to earth bloke, willing to chat with fans.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably would've played Origin if it wasn't for the abundance of fullbacks in his era..

At his peak form he was the most reliable fullback we've ever had, hardly ever worried when a bomb went his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.