News Lucky Raiders lost after sub breach: Ricky

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ricky Stuart has admitted he stuffed up and it was lucky his team didn't beat St George Illawarra after Canberra illegally used an 18th man in their 22-20 loss.

The NRL asked both the Raiders and ground officials for a please explain on Saturday night, after teenager Xavier Savage wrongfully entered the field as a concussion sub.

Savage was allowed on the field for 12 minutes after halftime when he should not have been, before NRL officials called the ground to have him removed.

Acting as 18th man, the Cairns junior was brought on as a concussion replacement at the start of the second half after Sebastian Kris was hit high just before the break.

Jack Bird was put on report for the incident, prompting the Raiders to believe they could enact their extra man.

However, under NRL rules, replacement players are only allowed when there have been three failed HIAs or the foul play resulted in a sin-bin or send-off.

Raiders officials since claimed that the NRL's interchange official allowed the 19-year-old to go on the field when they handed them the HIA card.

But Stuart said he did not blame them for the confusion, putting it all on himself.

"That was my fault. I thought if a player gets put on report I could use my 18th man," Stuart conceded.

"Fortunately we didn't win. It saves a few blokes and the ground manager and me a bit of skin.

Ricky Stuart has admitted he stuffed up and it was lucky his team didn't beat St George Illawarra after Canberra illegally used an 18th man in their 22-20 loss.

a man holding a football ball: Billy Burns of the Dragons scores a try during their controversial NRL win over the Raiders.
© Dean Lewins/AAP PHOTOS Billy Burns of the Dragons scores a try during their controversial NRL win over the Raiders.

The NRL asked both the Raiders and ground officials for a please explain on Saturday night, after teenager Xavier Savage wrongfully entered the field as a concussion sub.

Savage was allowed on the field for 12 minutes after halftime when he should not have been, before NRL officials called the ground to have him removed.

Acting as 18th man, the Cairns junior was brought on as a concussion replacement at the start of the second half after Sebastian Kris was hit high just before the break.

Jack Bird was put on report for the incident, prompting the Raiders to believe they could enact their extra man.

However, under NRL rules, replacement players are only allowed when there have been three failed HIAs or the foul play resulted in a sin-bin or send-off.

Raiders officials since claimed that the NRL's interchange official allowed the 19-year-old to go on the field when they handed them the HIA card.

But Stuart said he did not blame them for the confusion, putting it all on himself.

"That was my fault. I thought if a player gets put on report I could use my 18th man," Stuart conceded.

"Fortunately we didn't win. It saves a few blokes and the ground manager and me a bit of skin.

"If we had have won, it would have been disappointing to see what happened."

Savage had one run for nine metres before NRL management phoned the sidelines and ordered him off with Canberra having illegally used 18 players.

Had Canberra won there is every chance they would have been stripped of points. Instead, the biggest likely punishment is a fine.

"The NRL has asked for full reports from the Raiders as well as our staff on duty at the ground to ascertain the circumstances which led to the 18th man being incorrectly activated," an NRL spokesman said.

Meanwhile Dragons coach Anthony Griffin did not believe Bird should have been penalised at all for the initial hit, with the contact coming as he pushed Kris to the ground in a tackle.

"It's just confusing now how those penalties get awarded," Griffin said.

"We're still looking too hard for penalties or players to be put on report."

It capped off a bizarre night at WIN Stadium, where the wind was so strong that kick-offs struggled to go 10 metres and bombs flew backwards.

Dragons debutant Tyrell Sloan showed glimpses of why the Dragons consider him a star of the future, scoring a crucial try just after halftime.

After the Raiders shot out to a 20-6 lead just after the break, Hunt played it smart to dominate field possession and with good last-tackle plays.

Then Sloan worked his magic.

Just two weeks after his 19th birthday, he chipped for Corey Norman on the last and then backed up on his own play to bag his first NRL try from his five-eighth.

Norman later scored the go-ahead try with 12 minutes to play, after Jack de Belin went to the line to help Paul Vaughan put the five-eighth over.

But there was one last drama, with Semi Valemei ruled to have gone out after a seemingly illegal second effort by Dragons defenders with a minute to play and Canberra on the attack.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it results in a penalty, the tackle was illegal and it goes on report, and then the player fails the HIA, why shouldn't the 18th man be activated?

Otherwise we get Gerrard Sutton who tells our players to "get up, get up" when hit high, he reluctantly gives us a penalty, that player then fails an HIA and he's off for the game. Then our player hits one of them, it's straight to the bin or sent off and when their player fails the HIA, the 18th man comes on.

As a sport, why would you leave yourself open to that situation when clearly the referees are not sin binning consistently and they won't be able to keep sin binning everyone?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole comp including are in desperate need of a major revamp, I put it down to the fact that Politis and Ch9 now control the game.
Their must be some group out their who are willing to offer some teams an alternative competition, and I personally can't see costing much money.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't they lose competition points?.. That's usually what happens if you play with 14, and I don't believe it ever mattered that it was a mistake or you didn't win?... personally though, I also think 18th man should be able to come on as soon as 1 player is taken off after failing concussion test following foul play.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The calls to sack Stuart are becoming louder and louder in the capital. This debacle will not help him.
How many years does he have left on his deal though? Didn't he sign some absurd seven year deal a few years ago? I'd say the huge payout he'd get is what's prevented them from firing him sooner. That and him being a club legend..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many years does he have left on his deal though? Didn't he sign some absurd seven year deal a few years ago? I'd say the huge payout he'd get is what's prevented them from firing him sooner. That and him being a club legend..
He'll still be coach in 2022 because of everything you said, just re-signed, huge payout, club legend etc, but they are playing such a shit brand of football, and have been consistently since the rule changes, the fear is Stuart can't change his method to suit. And he has history in this respect where he can't change methods so he changes clubs. Time will tell.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He'll still be coach in 2022 because of everything you said, just re-signed, huge payout, club legend etc, but they are playing such a shit brand of football, and have been consistently since the rule changes, the fear is Stuart can't change his method to suit. And he has history in this respect where he can't change methods so he changes clubs. Time will tell.
Yeah he always wears out his welcome after a few years. Had success at the Roosters then it fell apart, turned Cronulla around and it fell apart, Parra was a disaster.. I'm surprised he lasted so long at Canberra before the playing group turned on him.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah he always wears out his welcome after a few years. Had success at the Roosters then it fell apart, turned Cronulla around and it fell apart, Parra was a disaster.. I'm surprised he lasted so long at Canberra before the playing group turned on him.
The way Jack Wighton flew out of the line last night for Hunt to run was borderline deliberate for a SOO player. The only thing he didn't do was flick the bird at the coaches box.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Isn't it the dumb **** officials fault?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Why are the rules so unnecessarily complicated in the first place? Just allow a sub any time a player is ruled out with a concussion. It’s not rocket science.

Leaving it up to whether a player is sent off or binned is ridiculous given how inconsistent the policing of high tackles is on the first place.