Luai or Mam for $1M ?

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, was always gonna be a long-shot. But that being the case, I'd rather keep my powder dry than use it up on Luai, especially for that stupid price! Or as someone mentioned, have a look at Cleary's brother. Luai just doesn't do it for me, especially in big games/moments.
Jett apparently is more talented.
How long he's signed up for though, I don't know that.
Should pitch the sibling rivalry challenge to him to get him to defect over.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, was always gonna be a long-shot. But that being the case, I'd rather keep my powder dry than use it up on Luai, especially for that stupid price! Or as someone mentioned, have a look at Cleary's brother. Luai just doesn't do it for me, especially in big games/moments.
Very long adds to leave his dad and brother. Will get well looked after to keep Nathan happy too. Jett is no chance uce. Luai is the only realistic shot we have a quality half and he is not ideal for us. Will make us better though. We need an experienced half to come in until we develop a young pup through. This is years off.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very long adds to leave his dad and brother. Will get well looked after to keep Nathan happy too. Jett is no chance uce. Luai is the only realistic shot we have a quality half and he is not ideal for us. Will make us better though. We need an experienced half to come in until we develop a young pup through. This is years off.
As I suggested above, pitch to his sibling rivalry side, a chance to prove who is actually better by competing against his brother, and it may be possible.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Luai is Josh Reynolds 2.0. I assure you all that when he is here, you will all be kicking and screaming. Like Josh had Hodson, he also needs a game controlling half-back to suit his style. Cleary has made him look great. So we will end up with two ball running five eights with him and Burton. [emoji848]
Hodkinson a controlling HB? Biggest fukn myth there ever was, he touched the ball once or twice a set of six

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Got a sneaky suspicion Ivan won't be recommending to Jett to come to the Bulldogs if he asks his Dad for advice.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Got a sneaky suspicion Ivan won't be recommending to Jett to come to the Bulldogs if he asks his Dad for advice.
but why the hell would we yet again buy a half of that possible talent.

I don’t want luai because we need someone like a Adam Reynolds or dce who can manage games for us. We missed the boat with someone like Reynolds.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
but why the hell would we yet again buy a half of that possible talent.

I don’t want luai because we need someone like a Adam Reynolds or dce who can manage games for us. We missed the boat with someone like Reynolds.
If what we have play their best footy that should be good enough to play way way better than we did this year at least.

It was generally a very poor performance from some of the very good players we have and it should not have played out the way it did, even allowing for the horrific injury toll.

If they had put in more effort for the club (and I am talking pure effort here) eg Kiks (for his few games), Burton, Fox, Mahoney, Perham, Alo, Ala, Sutton, King (although he was apparently injured), Knight, TPJ, Oki (tho he probably did as well as he was capable of).

It was very disappointing that none of our players played to their capabilities, or previous form shown, except for Preston.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
As I suggested above, pitch to his sibling rivalry side, a chance to prove who is actually better by competing against his brother, and it may be possible.
That's no chance of happening. Coming here will ruin his career. That's not having at the club as a basket case its the issue we have in many positions. We don't have a senior player to teach kids and help develop them. We need to sign an old head for 1 or 2 yrs to help that process. Reynolds was here for that but really isn't the right guy for that on the field. Townsend maybe. That's the difference these days, reserve grade previously was stacked with experience players to help development. We lack experience from 1 to 13 these days.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a couple of reports we're signing Luai for $1,125,000 a season for 4 years. If we're even thinking of this I hope Gus first sounds out Ezra Mam who the Broncos are reportedly hoping to extend for around 700K a season. They can't keep them all.

Who would you rather Luai for 1.1+M or Mam for 900K-1M ? I'll say Mam. He could be our next Terry Lamb. Likes backing up through the middle and can break the line himself. In his highlights I noticed he was wearing the 7 in a few games. Would be good with a controlling 7 like Cogger. Don't know why we didn't sign him again either
Mam 100%!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He may be bro but doesn’t mean he can’t play. Plenty of NRL players are Karmichaels. IMO, Luai is a good fella off the field. Met him a couple of times. He does a lot more community work than most. Some players who are universally loved are the biggest ***** you can meet
SqUiD gAmE

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely we make a play for Deardon...a genuine young half who is a future star and wont cost the earth
It will cost a lot to get him away from QLD/Cowboy so depends what you mean by "won't cost the earth" It'll rival what it'd take to get Luai imo.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely we make a play for Deardon...a genuine young half who is a future star and wont cost the earth
It will cost a lot to get him away from QLD/Cowboy so depends what you mean by "won't cost the earth" It'll rival what it'd take to get Luai imo.
Both Dearden and Townsend have contracts ending in 2024, my guess is Townsend won't have his contract renewed, he will be 34. Which means the Cowboys have whatever Dearden is on now plus the $700k that Townsend is on to use to retain Dearden in 2025.

If they have any space in their 2024 Cap they can also offer Dearden more next year, which no other club can do. They have lost 9 players for 2024, so they should have some Cap space to upgrade Dearden.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bro he is getting 750k on the books. TPA will bring it to a million plus. He was never leaving. Luai is a realistic shot cause panthers don’t have the TPA power of teams like Broncos, Roosters and Storm
I think Luai, if he comes to the Dogs, will rattle the cage and drive higher standards, he’ll take the move personally in my view as it’ll be considered “his team” - the raw energy from Critta, Fox, Kiraz and Luai might just be the jolt this roster needs…

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Luai, if he comes to the Dogs, will rattle the cage and drive higher standards, he’ll take the move personally in my view as it’ll be considered “his team” - the raw energy from Critta, Fox, Kiraz and Luai might just be the jolt this roster needs…
God I hope that's the case!