LOYALTY? SOUTHS? ADAM REYNOLDS?

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Okay hear me out...

Mostly the backlash has been on south's Sydney not offering a longer term contract for Adam Reynolds to what he wants.
The supporters are going nuts at south's for (not keeping him on the terms Adam Reynolds wants) and that they are not showing loyalty to the current captain.

BUT HANG ON about LOYALTY, ADAM NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.
Loyalty is not for the club to show, the loyalty is for the player to give back to the club that has given him the opportunity to begin with.

It's not like they are saying they don't want him.
It's just for the 1 year and not 3. So why doesn't he trust his ability and trust his club, sign that 1 year deal and again if at 31 he is playing well then why wouldn't they again extend.

So all this is just showing that Adam is a spitting little brat. He is the one showing no loyalty and not trusting his ability and not giving back in the last few years of his career, to allow south's develop some kind to take over the number 7 jersey.

But NO HE WANTS 3 years 700K and who care about south's after he leaves?

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
It's all about who is willing to pay more, Reynolds wasn't getting what he asked for so why should he show loyalty. Would Souths have been loyal to him if he was failing to perform to the standard they expected of him?

Only the NRL can fixing the issue of long standing players leaving teams, they need to more effectively incentivise it.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's been shit since Glory- Glory-Ring-a-ding-Gate 2014.
He's been killing it this year but wants 3 years lol. 1 year only.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t blame him, I can’t fault him for taking an extra 600k before he retires. The club developed him but he also helped win them a premiership after 43 years

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the way the system is, everybody - the players, the clubs and the league - have to look after themselves and I guess with all these competing interests some sort of fairness eventuates

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's fine.

But the south Sydney fans shouldn't be upset at south's. That is my point.

Some are saying the would throw their life memberships away.
But when Adam has a few bad games they will say OH SOUTH SYDNEY MANAGEMENT CAVED IN and IT IS THEIR FAULT.

SOOKS

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Reynolds would probably have accepted a 2 year contract & have been happy. Sometimes you compromise. I don't think that 2 years would have been a stretch. He is a quality half back & a local junior at that & WAY better than John Sutton who most people have forgotten already.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
He wants stability of a three year deal. He is in good form and this is the last chance for him to get fat deal at his age (skeet skeet).

The obvious answer is a 2 year deal, or a deal depending on playing a token number of games, such as 15 like Darius.
If he refuses that, he probably has an agenda.
He does have a managed niggling injury,
I personally think his plan is to play for 1.5 years then go down in medical retirement and cash in cap free Lebanese style.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He hasn't signed with anyone else yet... Let's see where he ends up cause I still think he's a good chance of staying...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Without Reynolds they don't win a premiership and can't win another. His kicking game and cool head under pressure is what has turned them into a consistent top 4 team.

Take him out of that team and they struggle more with only Benji having a long kicking game in their spine. He's the perfect compliment to Cook, Walker and Latrell and let's them all focus on their natural games while he does the boring stuff.

Souths are worried his body won't hold up another two years and they're limited with cap space hence the stand-off. But Reynolds hasn't done anything wrong to ask for two years and isn't chasing crazy money so I don't see the issue..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In the end he's just acting like many other players late in their careers. If there is one thing that the past has shown to league players it's that clubs will not keep a player because they were good three years ago or because they are fan favorites. Souths even benefited this year from the Tigpies proving this point by not extending Marshall who I suspect would have liked to finish his career where it all began for him. So loyalty is a double edged sword. Penrith proved that point with Mansour too.

Clubs treat this like a business decision, so you can't really blame players for treating it that way also. In the end Souths would be taking a gamble to give Reynolds two or three years. He's more likely to cop an injury that keeps him out long term with every year he plays. They'll also be taking a gamble if they let him go. He's definitely integral to their team at the moment and I can't see too many other proven halfbacks on the market that will do the job he's doing. And if we see another pair of teams enter the NRL soon they'll be in the box seat with open salary caps to sign emerging talent or established talent in key positions.

I imagine for Reynolds he's just seeing the fact that guys like Marshall and Foran have had to probably accept poor deals as injury catches up to them and he's got to look after himself while he's in form and still playing without serious injury. So for both him and the club it becomes a business decision that has to leave loyalty by the side of the road.

DirtyDog72

Waterboy
Reaction score
Reynolds will be at the Sharks in 2022, no-way he will turn down the 2.4M over 3 yr deal they are offering him, Shaun Johnson knows what is going on cause his manager offered him back to the Warriors for 1.6M for 2 yrs, and they said thanks, but no thanks. So Johnson is out of Cronulla at the end of this season.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Without Reynolds they don't win a premiership and can't win another. His kicking game and cool head under pressure is what has turned them into a consistent top 4 team.

Take him out of that team and they struggle more with only Benji having a long kicking game in their spine. He's the perfect compliment to Cook, Walker and Latrell and let's them all focus on their natural games while he does the boring stuff.

Souths are worried his body won't hold up another two years and they're limited with cap space hence the stand-off. But Reynolds hasn't done anything wrong to ask for two years and isn't chasing crazy money so I don't see the issue..
Absolutely agree.!!!