Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs winger Marcelo Montoya ray of hope to Dog days plaguing NRL club

MARCELO Montoya has had the dream debut season.

He cemented his place on the wing after debuting in round three and playing a hand in the Bulldogs’ first win of the season.

Since then he’s become a shining light in a dark season for the Dogs.

After scoring yet another try in Sunday’s win over the Dragons, Montoya has finished as the club’s top try scorer for 2017.

He’s a shoo-in for Rookie of the Year at the club’s end of season awards night on Thursday and could also see a Dally M Rookie of the Year nomination come his way.

Montoya, who is half-Fijian and half-Chilean, is the first player of a South American background to play in the NRL.

Still only 21, he’s already had a taste of representative football, having played for Fiji last year and again earlier this year, with another selection surely on the cards.

The youngest of four boys, Montoya started playing league at the age of five.

He didn’t always belong on the wing though.

In fact, he played in the back-row before discovering his niche on the edge.

“I was a second rower and then I don’t know what happened, I just shot up,” Montoya explained.

“I ended up in the outside backs, played a bit of centre and then moved out to the wing.”

Sport has always been a part of the Montoya household.

His brothers also played league, with one of his siblings spending some time in the Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg side.

His Mum was also a budding netballer who represented Fiji, and it’s from her that he believes he inherited his athletic ability.

With his parents supporting rival clubs in the Eels and Tigers, it’s a surprise that Marcelo only ever had eyes for the Bulldogs.

He idolised premiership-winning fullback Luke Pattern growing up and dreamt that one day he too would pull on the blue and white jersey.

“I always wanted to play first grade, at the Bulldogs as well, because I always went for them, so it was pretty much a dream come true to play first grade here,” he said.

Coming into the 2017 season, an NRL debut was the last thing on the incredibly humble winger’s mind.

He had his sights set on a successful year in NSW Cup with an NRL nod something he could work towards in the future.

“I set my goals to just get one whole reserve grade season out and see how well I went,” he said.

“I think I was very fortunate to play this year, it wasn’t my goal this year, it was my goal to get a full ISP season out and hopefully debut next year.”

However, with Will Hopoate and Kerrod Holland suffering injuries in round two, Montoya saw his opportunity much sooner than expected.

With his bags packed for an early Friday morning flight to an ISP clash in New Zealand, he received a surprise call from the Bulldogs’ football manager.

“I wasn’t really expecting it,” Montoya recalled.

“I was driving home, I was at a family friend’s place watching the game and Alan Thompson rang me up and said there’s a chance you might be playing next week so don’t get on the plane tomorrow just come to training on Sunday.”

Even then, Montoya still doubted his chances of debuting. It wasn’t until head coach Des Hasler announced it in front of the entire team the following Tuesday.

“We had video and he said to everyone ‘Marcelo and Brad (Abbey) will be debuting this week boys.’ It was something I’ll never forget.”

With Doggies fans bidding goodbye to their favourite son in local junior Josh Reynolds, they can take comfort knowing that Montoya could very well fill that void.

The talented young gun started in the West Tigers junior comp, swapping between a few clubs before finally finding his home as a 15-year-old with the Bankstown Bulls in the Bulldogs junior competition.

It was there that a Bulldogs scout spotted Montoya’s talent and invited him along to a trial with the Harold Matthews team.

He made a great impression. He then rose through the ranks of their SG Ball and systems.

It’s crazy to think that this is Montoya’s first season of training full time.

Just last year he was juggling NYC training commitments, with a Primary Education degree and working as a teacher’s aide.

Having put his studies on hold for his soaring NRL career, university is something he has plans to revisit in the near future.

“I want to pick it up for sure next year, maybe even if it’s just one unit,” he said.

“The club helps out a lot so it’s better for me to try knock it over.”

There’s no hiding the fact that the Dogs haven’t had the best season, so you can’t help but wonder if the drama made it hard for a young player who was catapulted into the deep end to stay motivated.

However, in a true testament to his professionalism, Montoya wasn’t fazed by it, instead he was only focused on the positives.

“I think for me to be here to start with is unreal,” he said.

“To come to training with such professional players and to be with the boys who are at the highest point of the career, for me that’s motivating for myself.

“The experience is something that kept me going, after one game you want to play another, so I think that helped me put my best foot forward.”

With an opportunity, of course comes challenges to keep you grounded and for Montoya he found being consistent the biggest of them all.

While he’s represented the Bati twice, Montoya said his biggest achievement is playing first grade.

It’s something that he never imagined to happen and something that he says a number of people doubted.

“From growing up in Campbelltown to being where I am today, there’s a lot of people out there that wouldn’t have expected me to be where I am,” Montoya reflected.

“A lot of credit goes to my family and my close family friends that have been there for me throughout it all.”

As a true family man, Montoya doesn’t have much planned for the off-season other than spending time with his family, friends and partner.

While a well-deserved holiday could be on the cards, he’s focused on unwinding from an incredible breakthrough season as well as keeping his fingers crossed for a call up for the World Cup.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...b/news-story/f5feff6d3652e6e443bc2befb30db0d9

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So would I. When he's under pressure he always comes up with the goods.

He just might be that rockstar that has been talked about for so long.
I agree, but he needs a full pre-season to get his fitness levels up to being a FG - FB otherwise he wouldn't last 10 mins. Would probably need to drop a few kgs as well to improve mobility.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Love Montoya bring him on at fullback after a bit more time in FG under a new coach

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
For our trials play Monty at the back, and pop Abbey or Bergs on the wing. Swap them round every so often.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't get peoples obsession with wanting to move Montoya to fullback...there isn't much in his game that makes me think he will be a elite fullback at all. He is perfectly suited on the wing though and has the potential to be one of the top wingers in the game if we keep him there.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For our trials play Monty at the back, and pop Abbey or Bergs on the wing. Swap them round every so often.
Abbey in the NRL? not on what I saw the last time he played a couple of weeks ago....no way!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think people just want to see someone that has an impact on his kick returns at fb. But the wingers are usually there as well, so i dont really see how weakening one position to possibly strengthen another really helps.
Personally i think hoppa did pretty well with the transition. He doesnt possess electric speed like some others, but overall i think he is pretty solid. People are just a bit too critical of him in my opinion. He is still learning the position having not played there at any other time in his career.
Anyway, monty is a gun winger and i think thats where he should stay. on the other hand I think mbye at the back would be great. And hoppa in the centres.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think people just want to see someone that has an impact on his kick returns at fb. But the wingers are usually there as well, so i dont really see how weakening one position to possibly strengthen another really helps.
Personally i think hoppa did pretty well with the transition. He doesnt possess electric speed like some others, but overall i think he is pretty solid. People are just a bit too critical of him in my opinion. He is still learning the position having not played there at any other time in his career.
Anyway, monty is a gun winger and i think thats where he should stay. on the other hand I think mbye at the back would be great. And hoppa in the centres.
Yh i'd only try Moses at the back otherwise i'd just stick with Hoppa. Hoppa showed us the last few weeks he can be Boyd like when he chimes into backline, we just simply didn't run those plays enough throughout the year though. Would be nice if Hoppa just dropped a few kg's and worked on his agility.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What an awesome read
I wish him all the very best for his future.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yh i'd only try Moses at the back otherwise i'd just stick with Hoppa. Hoppa showed us the last few weeks he can be Boyd like when he chimes into backline, we just simply didn't run those plays enough throughout the year though. Would be nice if Hoppa just dropped a few kg's and worked on his agility.
Yeah i agree. Our whole team will be different players under a new coach. Our game plan and attacking plays were just boring and predictable this year.
Hoppa in no way deserved the wrath he copped on here this year. My only issue was the sunday bullshit. But now that is out of the way im sweet with him at the back. And if nbye can become a quality running 5/8 then im more then happy.
In the future i can see us recruiting a gun fullback (it has to happen one day right??) And moving hoppa into the backrow where his younger brother jamil currently plays. Apparently he is a gun.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't get peoples obsession with wanting to move Montoya to fullback...there isn't much in his game that makes me think he will be a elite fullback at all. He is perfectly suited on the wing though and has the potential to be one of the top wingers in the game if we keep him there.
He's like Rona with a little less flair, but as a result he's much safer. 100% a winger in my eyes, dont want to see him moved either.

Status
Not open for further replies.