Lewis keen to lock in long-term future as Dogs halfback

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lachlan Lewis has declared he wants to be Canterbury-Bankstown's long-term halfback beyond this season after playing his first NRL match since round eight in Sunday's 20-12 loss against the Roosters.

The 22-year-old was a casualty of the Bulldogs' torrid start to the season, dropped to the Canterbury Cup before a six-week syndesmosis injury compounded his woes.

Lewis is contracted to Canterbury until the end of 2020 but his manager told NewsCorp Australia last month he would consider the playmaker's options elsewhere to ensure he gets regular NRL action.

However, Lewis is keen to remain at Canterbury and chalked up his manager's comments to irritation about the situation.

"I'd love to," Lewis told NRL.com when asked if he hopes to wear the Bulldogs No.7 jersey for years to come.

"My manager's always out there trying to find what's best for me in terms of where I'm playing. I read the article and I think he was just getting frustrated with how many fans were messaging him for explanations as to why [I was dropped].

"He'll manage that side of the business, I'll manage the football side."

While Dogs supporters were crying out for Lewis to be reinstated to first grade, he took the opportunity to improve areas that coach Dean Pay highlighted as shortcomings.

Match Highlights: Bulldogs v Roosters

Strengthening his defence was high on the list and he stood tall against the Roosters, making 18 tackles and missing just one.

"He wanted me to work on a few aspects of my defence and he had to give a new combination a try because of our performances at the start [of the year]," Lewis said.

"As a half, you always take the team performances pretty heavily on yourself. So when I was playing, [he told me] what he wanted me to improve and trying to go and do that and not getting down and trying to stay positive."

Lewis thinks he gained a mental toughness from the setbacks of being axed from the NRL and suffering an injury a month later.

"It was a massive character builder," he said.

"[It was hard] coming back to the Canterbury Cup, managing that and trying to find positives and where you can work on your game and earn some playing time back in firsts.

"And then dealing with the frustration of getting an injury and it being six weeks [out]. It definitely tested me and tested the people around me because I get a bit grumpy.

"But I think I've come out the other end and definitely have a stronger character from that."

Despite a solid display against the Roosters at ANZ Stadium - save for a crucial dropped ball from the kick-off in the second half - Lewis is no certainty to keep his place next week as veteran Kieran Foran nears a return from a hamstring strain.

Foran and Jack Cogger have been Pay's preferred scrum-base combination for much of the season.

"[Foran] is running. We thought he would be right this week but I'm just guided by the medical team," Pay said.

Pay said Lewis was able to brush off the error which quelled Canterbury's momentum and led to a Roosters try but conceded the halfback's attention to detail was lacking.

"He moves on pretty quickly … Those are the type of errors we can cut out straight away," Pay said.

"That's an area we need to make sure we're a lot better in. I think it's a concentration thing. With Lachy, he's still only young and he's still learning."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/28/lewis-keen-to-lock-in-long-term-future-as-dogs-halfback/

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Own up, who was messaging him, asking why he was dropped.

I know he is BSing, no one did.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's been shocking this year. As average as Cogger is, he's been much better and at least has a running game. I had hope for Lewis after last season but aside from his defence, he hasn't offered anything and doesn't look like a First Grader.

Wakeham is better than the both of them though and should be playing FG the rest of the season. Especially seeing as he played well in his two and a half games.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guy unfortunately lacks all the skill required to be an nrl play maker. Was disappointed to see him named this week and was less then satisfied with his performance. And almost disgusted that pay thought it’s time to try Lewis again.

The guy isn’t a half. Plain and simple. He is way too big for a modern day half. Too tall and lanky. He might cut it as a lock if he can bulk up. But the days of the ball playing locks are long gone.

Guy has no dimensions to his game. For mine and I’ve said it since coggers first game, he is the only half back we have in the team. Foran and wakeman are 5/8. Lewis is I don’t even know.

Sooner Lewis leaves the club the better. Hope pay, lichaa, tolman, Foran, hoppa and Holland follow him out the door too.

At 14-6 we are back in the game. And to drop a kick off. Or to kick a ball out on the full. Like basic crap is the issue. It’s a reserve grade team. And no one should be inline for an upgrade or extension outside of Smith.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
The article says torrid start to the season as is if we have been better, it’s been a fucking torrid past 5 years and still is

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Still like to see him and Foran string a few games together. I'm one of the few here that actually rate the bloke and has something to offer moving forward.

A few forced drop outs, some decent short kicks. Shithouse drop off the kick I agree which seems to be one of the only things everyone remembers.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This guy is good I don’t know what you guys are on about.
Seriously some of these c*nts in here are on fukin crack. You watch him be dropped next week for Pay's useless fukin pets. Work on defence, that'll do me. Yet Pay keeps fukin turnstyles in FG. If I was Lewis I would go to a real bloody club who can actually identify talent and not destroys careers.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still like to see him and Foran string a few games together. I'm one of the few here that actually rate the bloke and has something to offer moving forward.

A few forced drop outs, some decent short kicks. Shithouse drop off the kick I agree which seems to be one of the only things everyone remembers.
Dropping a kick off happens from time to time it was some of his options in attack that I was disappointed in. He was obsessed with inside balls to Tolman yesterday.

He just lacks any sort of vision in his play.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dropping a kick off happens from time to time it was some of his options in attack that I was disappointed in. He was obsessed with inside balls to Tolman yesterday.

To an extent I agree, but every one of our halves are doing this, is this heads up play getting coached out of these guys. Gotta wonder why he had such a good finish to 2018, was this before the brilliant game plans of Pay have been drummed into these guys.
JMK makes a break, only bloke in support and within 20m is Tolman. The attack is fkd no matter who's marshalling the troops on the field. No one is running the good lines at all, CHN was for a couple weeks now that's backed off, DWZ kick returns have gone to shit, Cogger is kicking more balls into opposition players than finding open ground. Nothing is working.

Wakeham needs to lose some weight for mine, he has hope and might be an answer to the future, whether Lewis partners him is a different story. We are in dire need of a high quality halves coach and a coach with some direction.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I agree. He has little vision or creativity, nor any semblance of a running game. Sometimes when he does see an opportunity, he lacks the skill to execute it and throws passes too long or short..

His kicking game is solid but very hit and miss. His defence is great for a half but without an attacking game, it's hard to justify playing him in the halves.

Wakeham showed a lot of skill, vision and class and he should be given more opportunities.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well atleast with him playing we won't see Tolman on the forth as much. Instead Lewis will have an inside ball to the flying Tolman on the third LMAO!!!!!!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
To an extent I agree, but every one of our halves are doing this, is this heads up play getting coached out of these guys. Gotta wonder why he had such a good finish to 2018, was this before the brilliant game plans of Pay have been drummed into these guys.
JMK makes a break, only bloke in support and within 20m is Tolman. The attack is fkd no matter who's marshalling the troops on the field. No one is running the good lines at all, CHN was for a couple weeks now that's backed off, DWZ kick returns have gone to shit, Cogger is kicking more balls into opposition players than finding open ground. Nothing is working.

Wakeham needs to lose some weight for mine, he has hope and might be an answer to the future, whether Lewis partners him is a different story. We are in dire need of a high quality halves coach and a coach with some direction.
I would be leaning towards a Lewis & Wakeham combo moving forward. Very raw but when you don't win shite who really cares. Best looking natural footy players we have. Cogger is a safe boring robot. Foran is a walking human jenga set and although everyone sprays hard about Meaney's speed the **** has never broken the line to show it. Your right though, our attack has been coached as zero for what, 5 years now? But then again the fact the you play a game then get dropped no matter how you went isn't really going to help these young guy's either. We deserve everything we get with this Coach I just feel for the young careers being ruined.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well look at the quote from Lewis in the story
"He wanted me to work on a few aspects of my defence and he had to give a new combination a try because of our performances at the start [of the year]," Lewis said.
Lewis's defence might have needed work but his attack needed more attention and Pay wanted him to focus on defence I think that says it all.

I really wonder what kind of attacking plays they run at training because nothing ever looks organised. The confidence in the whole team is shot.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well look at the quote form Lewis in the story

Lewis's defence might have needed work but his attack needed more attention and Pay wanted him to focus on defence I think that says it all.

I really wonder what kind of attacking plays they run at training because nothing ever looks organised. The confidence in the whole team is shot.
Pretty much what im saying mate. It's like "fk fellas we got the ball, who wants a run"

We ran what 2 half decent set plays out to the backs yesterday. Nothing seems trained bar the one out or drop off plays.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think there would be a stampede of other clubs waiting to sign him anyway.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our halves are getting ridiculously slow play the balls on attacking plays giving the opposition ample time to set a line and be pushing up on them.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's been shocking this year. As average as Cogger is, he's been much better and at least has a running game. I had hope for Lewis after last season but aside from his defence, he hasn't offered anything and doesn't look like a First Grader.

Wakeham is better than the both of them though and should be playing FG the rest of the season. Especially seeing as he played well in his two and a half games.
Agree we need to keep Wakeham in the side for the rest of the year, surely someone at the club can see he has more to offer in the halves than Foran, Cogger, Lewis or Brown.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think there would be a stampede of other clubs waiting to sign him anyway.
There are. Lewis just needs the right halves partner and he'll have great games (somebody with a good running game and a good manager).