Let's Trot with Burton

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hope he aims up and has a great year for us, i can't help but think how on earth did someone see a Captain here, not bagging the kid, just don't see anything about him in that role.
Burton is known to be a fairly quiet young lad and I guess the idea was to throw him in at the deep end and get him to open up a bit. It was never going to happen instantaneously hence the co captain Mahoney.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Confirms he doesn't have much going on between the ears. Doesn't speak very eloquently, or have much to say. No wonder we look directionless in attack. Way too introverted to be a leader, let alone a half.
Just a thick country kid, wouldn’t hold it against him. More successful than I’ll ever be lol

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Confirms he doesn't have much going on between the ears. Doesn't speak very eloquently, or have much to say. No wonder we look directionless in attack. Way too introverted to be a leader, let alone a half.
Needs work ;)

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We've had plenty of "not exactly nuclear physicist" type captains but they all had drive and high standards....that's what we currently don't see with Burton... still finding his feet. Untapped off the scale "potential" but Burto not the inspirational leader/achiever this team needs at this stage of his development..or the teams stage of development.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@ 31:36 - Do you believe the world is flat?
Fuck me, I know footy players are known to be pretty stupid humans but this bloke is supposed to be our leader in the halves and captain. At least other dumb athletes can articulate their reasons more coherently, this was plain embarrassing lol

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have to unfortunately agree. Seems as tho best thing for him is to drop the extra responsibility of co-captaincy and just concentrate on all aspects of 5/8 play....have the hope that Critta will get him sufficiently motivated and able to execute on a more consistent basis.
I think we all agree Burto doesn’t exhibit captain like qualities, my personal view is they wanted him to stick around and make it physiologically harder to defect by granting the honour of team captain… and to validate “the team is his”…. Nothing more.

He’ll be good for us in patches - he’s a quality player but consistency will be his greatest challenge. Back him to take his game up to another level. Would love him to show the same rapid improvement as Ezra Mam or Nico Hines back in the day but let’s see how he goes third year in.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Are we challenging the notion that you can't be a good football player and leader without average or higher intellect?

Blocker Roach, Wally Lewis, Gordon Tallis, Paul Vautin, Brad Fitler, and Andrew Johns have just entered the chat...
True, but they all copped more head knocks...