Lets stop blaming the officiating and realize we're a poorly coached team

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate

If you look at the penalty stats, by and large, it doesn’t look like we are worse off. But that’s only half the picture.

I would absolutely love to know what the overall penalty count would be against the dogs at the 60th minute mark for the last few seasons.

The square ups are nothing but a cover up to stop refs integrity from being questioned. We’re a poorly disciplined teams at time, I’ll acknowledge that. But by gosh we cop some shit
Graeme Annesley admitted that refs have a subconscious bias towards the top teams. It’s so obvious and painful to watch.

It’s at its worst when the lower ranked teams get out to an early lead. They seem to think it shouldn’t happen so they help the top team get back on track. Case in point with the bin yesterday.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ivan Cleary’s coaching stats. Goes to show he was no mastermind. It wasn’t until Gus arrived at Penrith he became what looks like a good coach. View attachment 46490
Even so Ivan’s worst win loss ratio was a respectable 42% when he was coaching the tigers. Barrett’s win loss ratio last year at the dogs was a pathetic 13% and this year is no better. His knowledge of the game does not translate to execution and coaching. The sooner he moves on the better. He should seek out a career as a commentator as I think he would be good at that.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is Gus also scouting St Helens coach Kristian Woolf?
That wouldn’t surprise me, he can coach from what I’ve seen. Mind you, blind Freddy can coach St Helens to a grand final, they have the best roster by a country mile… the impressive aspect of Kristian Woolf is that he has managed to get the Tongan team to believe and they were competitive even before all the NRL stars put their hand up.

But I think we shouldn’t look past Shane Flanagan if we’re making the change - he’s won the competition, he demands respect, the players loved him at the Sharks - the Club is geographically perfect for him also being near the Shire and he may well give his son the confidence needed to transition into a consistent top line NRL half

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great post… everyone trying to blame ref… the real concern is how quickly the fall apart when things go against them… so the ref is to blame for the 5 losses this year??? The coach needs to go if not I would be looking at the people keeping him there…
I'm not at any point saying we're some champion team getting held down by refereeing. But I see shit every week that I just can't see happening in any other game. Few examples.
1) We do a short goal line drop out, regather the ball and drop to the ground in a submission tackle because the touch line is 1 foot away. Panthers player picks us up off the ground and pushes player into touch. 99/100 times that's a penalty and we kick ourselves into decent field position on the back of it, but last week it's a fair play, hand over the ball.

2) This week Penrith player challenges the knock on call. Fails the challenge (which I've only ever seen result in that team having no captain's challenge left) but gets the caps challenge back regardless because there's a lack of evidence. Never seen a case where they lose a challenge but keep the right to challenge again later.

3) Also this week, Burton tried to challenge that Penrith had touched the ball in play and was denied the right to do that. By rights should be a repeat set called earlier that wasn't.

I know we're not looking like world beaters. But it's not easy for any team to shine when they're getting shit dropped on them at every possible instance.