Lets stop blaming the officiating and realize we're a poorly coached team

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I went to watch Dogs for first time.. we seriously are a poorly coached team. Players are bunched. No depth in the backline. Our forwards playing like its Desball. No speed in the rucks. Players honestly look so lost out there.

Burton stuck to one side of the field, then have 500 forwards get the ball before he does or have another 2-3 players cramping him.
I want everyone to stop for a second and closely watch Players body language, their confidence is so shot, they are an unhappy.
I have never seen a bunch of the most talented individuals Players play so bad together.
Barrett has to go. No ifs or butts at all. This team under Pay would be doing so much better. Thats how bad Barrett is..
It's obvious our players confidence is shot and has been for a while. People underestimate how much confidence impacts athletes, any sort of doubt in the players mind can have a major impact on their output. A good example is watching our young players break into the squad over the years, they come up from the lower grades where they've done well and enter the top grade with a spring in their foot and show promising signs that get us excited. A couple games in and suddenly that spring is gone and they just never recover.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of you are rolling over and just blaming Barrett and the team and while I am not saying you are wrong, you are not completely right either. You have to blame the ref for a lot of sh!t because it's his "discretion" a lot of calls are made, take the Naden disallowed try for instance, at normal speed at the ground it looked a beauty but Sutton had to scrutinise it and found in the replay a "blurred pixel" put enough doubt to allow the bunker to overturn the try. Funnily enough I saw dodgy leadups to some souffs tries that were conveniently ignored. So don't tell me the refs can't control the results of a match.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The referees coach should be under scrutiny, the referees should be dropped when they perform poorly

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TB effectively had five half’s in the team today, Flanagan, Burton, JMK, Wakeham and Averillo… that can’t be good. He’s still void of any ideas or game plan, we have no identity… he’s not a head coach unfortunately.
I think Baz keeps selecting JMK Wakeham and Averillo because he doesn't want to admit he was wrong.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without distracting from the (rotten to the) core of our issues - Barrett - I have absolutely no doubt that Sutton has crossed off good friday on his calendar as the chance to get back at James Graham's 'crooked finger' in the 2015 corresponding match. Sutton hates us and his hatred has, on every occassion, been the hallmark of games he controls against us

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
JMK is dumb & thick. He pushed the limits with Sutton and got bent over by him.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I joke with mates every year that the Easter Fri game vs Souths is always the annual get ass-raped by refs game. It happens without fail, every.single.year. It's the same guy and it's the same story. So as a club we either shrug our shoulders and say oh well or we actively address it. In the lead up, in the post game, whatever. Fines be damned, bring attention to it because it's turning into a pisstake now just like the club itself.

Of course the officiating is just one part of it. The other part is this team has zero mental resolve. Something goes against them and they all fold like origami. The next 6 weeks will really tell the tale. There have been glimpses despite the smashings and believe it or not it is something we can build on if the team have properly bought into what the coach is selling. If not, then Gus needs to make the hard call and hire a coach that is an actual leader of men and not someone who's probably better suited on a Fox panel worrying about his make up instead of how to galvanize a struggling footy club.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
From the 27th minute to about the 70th Souths had 82% of the ball.

Coming up to the 25th minute of the game we were 6-0 up with one try already disallowed. Should have been 12-0 up.

Sutton then pulled off some magic by binning JMK in the 27th minute and from the 27th to 37th minute it went as such.
Penalty Souths > Try Cook (6-6)
Set Restart > Try Cook (12-6)
> Burns injured and gone for game forcing Wakeham and Flanno in halves and Burton to centre.
> Patolo gone for the game and bench down to 2 players.
Penalty > Set Restart > Try Johnston. (18-6)

That put them up 18-6 at half time, and already Patolo gone for the game and a messed up team.

Just after half time
Set Restart > Try Johnston (24-6)
Bulldogs NO TRY (Naden)
> Try Cook (30-6)
Bulldogs Try (JAC) (30-10)
Penalty > Set Restart > Try Tass (36-10)
Souths Penalty > Souths Penalty > Try Bulldogs (36-16).

17 penalties in the game
9 - 2 set restart count to Souths.

Bulldogs didn't lose this game, Sutton won it for Souths.
What an astute summary thanks mate, that is exactly how I saw it too! Sutton needs to learn to put his fucking whistle in his pocket, he makes the game about him and always gives us no chance of winning because of constant set restarts, penalties, sin bins and our players are too gassed to defend after that. Yesterdays game was yet another classic example of how too much influence from a referee determines the result of the game.

Yes I concede we are poorly disciplined but no more than every other team especially Souths yesterday, they were constantly slowing down the ruck and almost every tackle had a second player coming in and flopping on our tackled player yet this escaped Suttons attention, it was clearly bias against us.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How to rip Sutton without mentioning Sutton:
View attachment 46577
Lol. Gus at his best

9 six agains to 2. A lot of them late in the count. Plus the sin bin. They also got one more penalty but a fair few of ours came when the game was over.

I am completely over it. The other week against the storm we had shitloads of ball early and they kept giving away 6 agains. No warning. No bin.

Last week off the Burton break the panthers player charged out of the line and smashed Jake. He was 5 metres offside and stopped our momentum. No bin.

No players from the top sides get binned when they play lower ranked teams. It’s a complete farce

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol. Gus at his best

9 six agains to 2. A lot of them late in the count. Plus the sin bin. They also got one more penalty but a fair few of ours came when the game was over.

I am completely over it. The other week against the storm we had shitloads of ball early and they kept giving away 6 agains. No warning. No bin.

Last week off the Burton break the panthers player charged out of the line and smashed Jake. He was 5 metres offside and stopped our momentum. No bin.

No players from the top sides get binned when they play lower ranked teams. It’s a complete farce
Mate

If you look at the penalty stats, by and large, it doesn’t look like we are worse off. But that’s only half the picture.

I would absolutely love to know what the overall penalty count would be against the dogs at the 60th minute mark for the last few seasons.

The square ups are nothing but a cover up to stop refs integrity from being questioned. We’re a poorly disciplined teams at time, I’ll acknowledge that. But by gosh we cop some shit

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact that during the week a thread was made about gerard Sutton saying that we’re gonna get fucked with penalties and sin bins should tell you everything
Him and Cummins seem to get pleasure seeing us lose. Im assuming its pleasure but it wouldn't surprise me if it was cash too

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This club does nothing! Absolutely nothing about this and it has gone on for years. Why is it us as the fans responsibility to stop the club getting bent over at every opportunity.

The club should of stood up to the NRLol a long time ago and hired a proper coach who won't take any shit.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The fact that during the week a thread was made about gerard Sutton saying that we’re gonna get fucked with penalties and sin bins should tell you everything
Our comedy club does nothing about it. Gus is tweeting tough like Donald Trump on twitter wow well done big statement to the NRL that will send shockwaves through them. This club is dead set embarrassing these days.

Gould needs to get the fuck off twitter and actually address the issues.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Him and Cummins seem to get pleasure seeing us lose. Im assuming its pleasure but it wouldn't surprise me if it was cash too
Trent Robinson a few years back called out Cummins stating that his team never wins the penalty counts every time he’s the ref… why can’t we say the same thing about that germ Sutton

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I joke with mates every year that the Easter Fri game vs Souths is always the annual get ass-raped by refs game. It happens without fail, every.single.year. It's the same guy and it's the same story. So as a club we either shrug our shoulders and say oh well or we actively address it. In the lead up, in the post game, whatever. Fines be damned, bring attention to it because it's turning into a pisstake now just like the club itself.

Of course the officiating is just one part of it. The other part is this team has zero mental resolve. Something goes against them and they all fold like origami. The next 6 weeks will really tell the tale. There have been glimpses despite the smashings and believe it or not it is something we can build on if the team have properly bought into what the coach is selling. If not, then Gus needs to make the hard call and hire a coach that is an actual leader of men and not someone who's probably better suited on a Fox panel worrying about his make up instead of how to galvanize a struggling footy club.
Bloody well said!