Let's remember what's important & well done to TH and the dogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
How Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Trent Hodkinson inspired sick kid Callum Henderson

CALLUM Henderson is a name on a kicking tee. And already, you know the story.

Of the tee, that is.

http://resources1.news.com.au/image...6501-746d7c74-3fcb-11e4-b1b2-871c50b86f82.jpg

Not the Engadine schoolboy who complained of a headache earlier this year and, within weeks, was losing some of his eyesight, because, well, that’s the payoff when surgeons remove a dirty great tumour from your brain.

It was shortly after this that *Callum met Trent Hodkinson.

The Canterbury halfback visited this young Doggies fan in hospital at his lowest ebb because this is now what he does.

Johnathan Thurston gives out headgear. Todd Carney gives out headlines.

And Hodkinson visits sick kids.

Every week, sitting by the bedside of another little warrior before grabbing a thick black texta and scrawling their name onto his green kicking tee.

It’s one reason for hoping *Canterbury go all the way.

If only so another two names, another two young fighters, might know how it feels to be Callum.

This energetic Year 8 schoolboy who will be sitting somewhere in the crowd at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night when the Bulldogs play Manly.

Who early this week was asked by The Daily Telegraph to pen a* *letter explaining exactly what *Hodkinson, and rugby league, means to him.

And in part, he wrote: “At the start of the year my life was turned upside down . . . an extremely traumatic and terrifying experience.

“After the operation I was in a lot of pain. I remember sitting in a chair at the hospital and mum asking out of the blue ‘Who is your favourite Bulldogs player?’

“Instantly, I said ‘Trent Hodkinson’. And about five seconds later I was in shock . . . he walked into the room.”

Writing on, Callum explains how his mind went blank. How after managing to mumble out something about, “Geez, you’re a good kicker”, the NSW Origin star quickly put him at ease — with the pair enjoying a long conversation about things even more important than footy.

“It was a life-changing experience,’’ the teenager continues.

“Every fan of the NRL is emotionally attached to their team and every result is crucial to them.

“It’s the same for me. I would like to thank everyone at the Bulldogs who helped set this up . . . I will be forever grateful.”

And this is one story. One of over 20 yarns which, week after week, visit after visit, have been driving the Canterbury playmaker through undoubtedly the greatest season of his life.

Seemingly washed up 18 months ago, Hodkinson has played his Bulldogs into the finals. Played NSW to State of Origin glory and himself into a future.

Directing and scheming. Persisting and scoring. Providing, too, the type of superboot that way back in round nine against St George Illawarra, saw him kick five goals from one of those green, plastic tees.

A tee that was carrying the name of Callum Henderson.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...callum-henderson/story-fn2mcuj6-1227064440635

So let's remember what's important in life and how awesome these types of stories are in the grand scheme of things. Well done to TH and the doggies for caring. I hope this awesome kharma shines through against Manly tomoz night. I think we can all throw some positive energy towards our guys and let's hope they can perform to their best, if we do we will win.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Des lives and dies by one philosophy on the field: KISS. Keep it simple stupid.

If Hokko can keep a cool head and just do the basics right, we have reasonable enough strike power to score about 20 points against Manly. Our defence should get us home. Dogs by 8.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well done Hodko... Nice to hear there are people like you out there... :grinning:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hat off to Hodko. Should be more blokes doing it .

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love Hodko but this is set up for publicity.

Kas and Reynolds do stuff like this all the time.
What I'd like to see is the players actually acknowledging the fans that come to watch them.. Sometimes

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I love Hodko but this is set up for publicity.

Kas and Reynolds do stuff like this all the time.
What I'd like to see is the players actually acknowledging the fans that come to watch them.. Sometimes
Don't know if your right or not but I'm going to play the naive card on this one and just use it as a good feeling story. After everyone trying to bring us down this week to stop our GF campaign I think we needed a nice story about us. Either way if it helped the kid that that's still awesome!

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't know if your right or not but I'm going to play the naive card on this one and just use it as a good feeling story. After everyone trying to bring us down this week to stop our GF campaign I think we needed a nice story about us. Either way if it helped the kid that that's still awesome!
fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.