Opinion Lets hope Taaffe comes on to replace Hutcho against the Knights

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Ciraldo picking Taaffe on the bench this weekend. Surely it has to be as a replacement for Hutcho at some stage to see how he goes at 7. He's not there to rest Tracey, Burton or Mahoney. I just hope we don't suffer an injury in the backs but even if that happens Hayward can help cover some too and he'd be the cover for Mahoney as well.

It 100% has to be a plan to replace Hutcho at some stage unless injuries force Ciraldo's hand or unless Hutcho is having a blinder which we all know is never gonna happen.

I hope Taaffe gets at least 10 minutes before halftime and all or most of the second half. If he starts as a Ciraldo surprise for the Knights even better !

Thoughts ?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ciro said Taafe "was in the top 17 at this club" in his presser.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Taafe will probably play a roving role. Jump into dummy half and chime into the attack ...

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You really think so even after Ciraldo talked him up this week as being a super-sub ?

He's over the concussion I believe. Selected in the 17
CC also said the team was going to play conservative to start the game against the Roosters, and said Critta would do a great job at FB against Storm. He isn't shy of throwing mixed messages at the media. Speaking of mixed messages to the media, all of this is moot anyway because Gus picks the team... :tearsofjoy:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Ciraldo picking Taaffe on the bench this weekend. Surely it has to be as a replacement for Hutcho at some stage to see how he goes at 7. He's not there to rest Tracey, Burton or Mahoney. I just hope we don't suffer an injury in the backs but even if that happens Hayward can help cover some too and he'd be the cover for Mahoney as well.

It 100% has to be a plan to replace Hutcho at some stage unless injuries force Ciraldo's hand or unless Hutcho is having a blinder which we all know is never gonna happen.

I hope Taaffe gets at least 10 minutes before halftime and all or most of the second half. If he starts as a Ciraldo surprise for the Knights even better !

Thoughts ?
I don’t see why you would replace your halfback during a match. If that’s the plan, then start with Taaffe. Shuffling halves mid game can’t be a good thing

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will he handle the defence load in the 7?
Anyone with a short kicking game that can grubber on an angle 4.5 meters past the defence in goal.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think plan will be Hutchinson to lock and Taffe to 7.
Hutchinson has a horrible kicking game .
Doggies need to have more contested bombs on the last.
This. But not sure if the idea of Taaffe playing 7 is there i genuinely think ciro imagines him being like mann, but backing up the forwards close to holes

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why not start with Blake in the no 7 jersey, shift Hutch to lock and drop Curran on the bench. 14 Bailey Hayward. 15 Poasa Faamausili. 16 Josh Curran. 17 Kurt Morrin.
PLEASE NO! Hutchison is not a lock & Taaffe would get destroyed defensively at 7 over 80 minutes.

If they want to turn Taaffe into a half then let him get game time there in NSW Cup first.

Sexton should be 7 & Hutchison should be 18th man.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will he handle the defence load in the 7?
Anyone with a short kicking game that can grubber on an angle 4.5 meters past the defence in goal.
Throwing Taf into the front line without honing his D tech and endurance in NSW cup would be a mistake. We are stuck with Hutch for this season.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think half is the only place he fits into the team, so if he’s there I suspect he’ll replace hutch at some point.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taafe had zero training in the halves all
Off-season. He’s not going to be this magic solution there lol
How do we know ? He's played there plenty in the past. Could have trained this week. Was a schoolboys NSW rep 7 with Burton at 6

We should remember Munster, Hughes, Hynes all made an easy conversion to the halves from fullback. Barba went the opposite way as did Jason Alchin for us, Jai Field in Super League etc. Tracey has also played in the halves

Last edited:

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taafe is FB or 18th man no inbetween. His a small body in the defensive line and a viable target for Newcastle. Just an unessecary move if anyone’s replacing Hutcho I would go with sexton.