News Leadership guru helps Reed Mahoney turn Bulldogs around

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leadership guru helps Reed Mahoney turn Bulldogs around

Forthright about the upcoming 2024 season.

Brutally honest on where the Bulldogs need to improve.

And determined to become a better captain by employing his own leadership guru.

Canterbury skipper Reed Mahoney has turned to Andrew May, the highly-regarded performance coach, who has worked with Manly’s Anthony Seibold, ARL Commission chairman Wayne Pearce, ARU boss Phil Waugh and former Test cricketer and NSW captain Simon Katich, in a bid to become a stronger leader for the Dogs next season.

In his first interview since commencing pre-season training, Mahoney was also bullish about the Bulldogs’ chances of making the finals for the first time since 2016.

“The sky’s the limit for us,’’ Mahoney said, when asked if Canterbury can play finals in 2024.

“It’s about the work we do now at training before Christmas and how we come back after Christmas.

“We need to connect, gel and work our butts off.

“We’ve got some great players coming, we’ve got some great players here, it’s about bringing it all together.’’

LEADERSHIP

The Bulldogs’ leadership void stuck out like a beacon in 2023, triggered by the sudden retirement of Josh Jackson this time last year.

It led to the appointment of current co-captains Matt Burton, Reed Mahoney and Raymond Faitala-Mariner. All, while seriously talented, were rookie leaders, having never led an NRL dressing room before.

Mahoney spoke with honesty when dissecting how he handled leading the Dogs in 2023.

“I definitely think that the last 12 months, coming to a new club, under a new head coach, new everything and then becoming captain as well, it can become quite overwhelming,’’ Mahoney said.

“During the year, there were a lot of lessons for all of us, the whole club.

“There were probably times in the year that I tried too hard because of the results we were not getting.

“My actions are my best way to lead.

“I look at the best leaders to have played the game, like Daly Cherry-Evans and Cameron Smith, I look at how they were the best for so long?

“I’m really young in that sense.

“But being able to lead the way in the pre-season and setting a good benchmark for the young boys, by being the hardest worker, that’s where it begins.’’

CAPTAIN’S CLASS

Last Wednesday, when the rest of the playing squad were relaxing in each other’s company, Mahoney met May and head coach Cameron Ciraldo for lunch at Canterbury Leagues Club.

Mahoney took a notepad to the lunch, where he, May and Ciraldo discussed the tools the talented hooker can use to become a better leader.

“Andrew was at Parra with me and as I moved on, I wanted to keep him with me,’’ Mahoney said.

“We’ve talked regularly and we’ve had some really honest and truthful conversations in the last 12 months about myself.

“And they’re all lessons that I’ve learned and hopefully I don’t make those mistakes again.

“This happens when you start to lose. You start to doubt yourself and you get frustrated.

“All these little things start to creep in where you don’t realise.

“Maybe I could’ve been a better leader in those times, but they were all lessons for me.

“I know I’m going to be better for it, for my teammates.’’

RECRUITS

The Bulldogs have moved quickly to add layers of experience to the 2024 roster with no less than nine new recruits totalling 771 NRL appearances.

A tragic footy fan who watches old games on his days off, we asked Mahoney who of the nine, he was most looking forward to working with.

“I’ve liked the look of all of them,’’ Mahoney said.

“Our biggest one is Stephen Crichton, who is alongside the biggest recruits of the Bulldogs in a long time.

“I know he’ll come in and buy-in straight away. He’s obviously got a strong relationship with Ciro (Ciraldo).

“But you add Josh Curran, (Siosiua) Taukeiaho, (Blake) Taaffe, (Jaemon) Salmon, they all come from great clubs that have been successful, but are all good people and that is what we are about here at the Dogs.’’

HALVES

A pivotal member of the spine at dummy-half, Mahoney finished the 2023 season with Matt Burton and Toby Sexton as his two halves partners.

However, the recruitment of halfback Drew Hutchison from the Roosters, ex-Knights ballrunner Kurt Mann, Panthers utility and former NSW under-18s five-eighth Jaemon Salmon and South Sydney fullback or half Blake Taaffe, suddenly provides Ciraldo with option in his halves.

Mahoney stopped short of declaring his preferred halves partner.

However, in a sign of his developing leadership and forthright attitude, declared that no jersey or position was assured in 2024.

“Burto and Toby did a fairly good job at the back end of last year and we started to get a good understanding and connection together,’’ Mahoney said.

“The thing with Burto is, he’s a freak. He could play fullback if he wanted too.

“However, that will be the coach’s decision.

“What I do know is that every spot is open.

“Whether it’s your first pre season or your eighth pre-season, you’ve got to earn your spot.’’

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because he's unfortunately coming. The issue is on our side otherwise this would've been officially announced by now.
Interesting also he didn’t confirm halves and said Burton a freak ….wonder if positional change coming ie Centre

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So is he the sole captain now? Him being the only one to work with this chap definitely alluded to that.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah interesting him mentioning SST. Other than that I would rather none of thee articles about us this preseason. The same thing has been said for the past 5 years… time to be silent achievers in the off season !

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Interesting also he didn’t confirm halves and said Burton a freak ….wonder if positional change coming ie Centre
Even Mahoney knows Burton should be playing fullback instead of 5/8. I said this from day one, just imagine how much more unbearable I'll become if it actually happened :tearsofjoy:

I think there's definitely something in the talk about him moving to centre, not sure what that means for the rest of the side though. A pairing of Hutchison/Sexton would be the slowest halves pairing in existence. I still think we haven't heard the end of the Fox saga either.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
R
Even Mahoney knows Burton should be playing fullback instead of 5/8. I said this from day one, just imagine how much more unbearable I'll become if it actually happened :tearsofjoy:

I think there's definitely something in the talk about him moving to centre, not sure what that means for the rest of the side though. A pairing of Hutchison/Sexton would be the slowest halves pairing in existence. I still think we haven't heard the end of the Fox saga either.
Reynolds and Hodkinson surely take that mantle?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where still in the position of having no truely deserved leader.
Reed had an underwhelming year but considering everything I hope he is made the sole captain for next year.
We need a single leader to take charge and be responsible for the team on the field. Plain as day he plays with heart and gives a 100%. Willing to admit his short comings and do everything in his power to improve.
Im glad ***** like TPJ are gone, he was never a Bulldog. Reed is a Bulldog and I hope for his sake and ours he lifts next year.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Or a Sexy/Salmon combo …..

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Andrew Ryan job description for 2023 was around leadership, culture and welfare. Does he get another go?

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score

How the fuck do you get Reed knows Burton should be playing fullback out of that? If you read the quote properly he was referring to how talented he is…. and he’ll be playing 5/8 where he belongs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How the fuck do you get Reed knows Burton should be playing fullback out of that? If you read the quote properly he was referring to how talented he is…. and he’ll be playing 5/8 where he belongs.
He doesn't belong @ 5/8, he's only there because we've invested far too much in him not to persist with him until his dying breath. Horrible ballplayer, worst in the game if I'm being honest.