Opinion Leaders

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Just a Thursday evening alcohol fueled brain fart but was thinking about some of our successful teams over the last 40 years. Then thought what this team is missing and the first thing that came to mind was halfback leaders. What makes up a team leader???
1) Quality, is a good footballer that earns respect
2) Inspiration, prepared to take the lead on the hard yards
3) Charismatic, when he provides encouragement you're proud, criticism - you feel you let your brothers down and want to do better
4) Vocal and high energy, talking all the time, first in to pat your back or pick you up
And thinking through the current roster, I'm drawing close to a NADA. Don't think we've had one since Jimmy. Everyone falls down in 1 or 2 of these spots. Josh doesn't tick 3 or 4 in my view. Hoppa doesn't tick 3 or 4. DWZ might also tick 4 but I think he struggles with 3.
This is why I think Brandon might be ideal for us and ideal for him. He can grow here, where at the storm he'll always be compared to Smith or Harry.

Anyway - didn't want to turn this into a Brandon recruit thread - more about the idea of leadership. Blame it on the beer...

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a Thursday evening alcohol fueled brain fart but was thinking about some of our successful teams over the last 40 years. Then thought what this team is missing and the first thing that came to mind was halfback leaders. What makes up a team leader???
3) Charismatic, when he provides encouragement you're proud, criticism - you feel you let your brothers down and want to do better
4) Vocal and high energy, talking all the time, first in to pat your back or pick you up
And thinking through the current roster, I'm drawing close to a NADA. Don't think we've had one since Jimmy. Everyone falls down in 1 or 2 of these spots. Josh doesn't tick 3 or 4 in my view. Hoppa doesn't tick 3 or 4. DWZ might also tick 4 but I think he struggles with 3.
This is why I think Brandon might be ideal for us and ideal for him. He can grow here, where at the storm he'll always be compared to Smith or Harry.

Anyway - didn't want to turn this into a Brandon recruit thread - more about the idea of leadership. Blame it on the beer...
There is no one in the team that is a natutal leader. We have not had anyone like this since Ennis.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only players to tick all 4 boxes in the last 40 years is Mortimer and Lamb. That's why we won 5 GF during their era. The only GF we've won since they retired was 2004 when we were stacked with stars across the park. Despite the star roster we only won 1 GF during that decade because of lack of sustained leadership. If Mortimer and Lamb played during that decade with that roster we would have won in 2001, 3, 6, 7 and 9 as well. I don't think SBW would dare walk out with those GOATS in the team.
02 and 05 were write offs because of salary cap and injuries.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Leaders in the making from current and signed.

Josh Jackson
Jackson Topine
Matt Burton
Adam Elliott
Josh Addo Carr

We are missing:
A hard nosed no bullshit prop who says “come on boys follow me

Flanagan to mature and start calling the shots for field position and attack.

Hooker to control the forwards, field position and work with Flanagan and Burton.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Leaders in the making from current and signed.

Josh Jackson
Jackson Topine
Matt Burton
Adam Elliott
Josh Addo Carr

We are missing:
A hard nosed no bullshit prop who says “come on boys follow me

Flanagan to mature and start calling the shots for field position and attack.

Hooker to control the forwards, field position and work with Flanagan and Burton.
Luke Thompson?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Only thing Elliott can lead you to is a divorce for fucking your misses if your his mate or a loss if you play with him on the field.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one of niff nuffs on here yelling at me in all capitals last year when I suggested that signing Benji for this year would be good even for his leadership...ha

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one of niff nuffs on here yelling at me in all capitals last year when I suggested that signing Benji for this year would be good even for his leadership...ha
I was against the benji signing. It would have been the same as foran. The team relying on 1 person to save the day.
We may have won a few more matches but still would have finished around 12th- 10th wich in reality is no better than being last.
At least now the shit players are being seen for what they arevand will be moved on.