Laptop Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new laptop. Haven't really looked into the market recently so I'm not upto scratch with what's "in" or the best of tech.

Any recommendations ?

The laptop will be used for business use/work but at the same time if I can run games on it that would be sweet.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Once FreshSoul has been hooked up anyone have any recommendations for a laptop to be primarily used for recording music? Something that comes with a good preloaded DAW (Logic, Cubase etc)

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once FreshSoul has been hooked up anyone have any recommendations for a laptop to be primarily used for recording music? Something that comes with a good preloaded DAW (Logic, Cubase etc)
Macbook dude. If you're wanting to run logic it's your only option.

Aside from that, any Windows pc with plenty of ram, good processor and preferably ssd hard drive, coupled with a good audio interface will do the trick

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Logic - only runs on MacOS
Cubase - will run on any decent i5 with reasonable amount of ram and a fast hard drive.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new laptop. Haven't really looked into the market recently so I'm not upto scratch with what's "in" or the best of tech.

Any recommendations ?

The laptop will be used for business use/work but at the same time if I can run games on it that would be sweet.
Go to MSY. You'll get what you need. They have shit customer service, but that's because no one can match their prices.

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/notebook.pdf

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd go HP ProBook/Elitebook. Should be able to get one with a 3 year onsite warranty these days for that amount.

Can buy direct from HP store Australia.

Best build quality or there and super reliable for business.

Avoid Acer and Sony, they are shit.

Avoid most home stuff as it's cheap with exception of Asus and MSI.

Dell are hit and miss. Lenovo average.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I'd go HP ProBook/Elitebook. Should be able to get one with a 3 year onsite warranty these days for that amount.

I have a HP ProBook - I don't really like it as it's heavy without being too big. The good thing about it is it handles games well, is pretty durable and has an awesome motherboard, but I'm sure you can get something with a bigger screen and less weight for the same price as I got mine.

Agree on Acer and Sony - shittest of shit.

Lenovo are great but not for games.

Dell are hit and miss - but you should go for a Dell Alienware for games. The bitch about them is they weigh a ton.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I have a HP ProBook - I don't really like it as it's heavy without being too big. The good thing about it is it handles games well, is pretty durable and has an awesome motherboard, but I'm sure you can get something with a bigger screen and less weight for the same price as I got mine.

Agree on Acer and Sony - shittest of shit.

Lenovo are great but not for games.

Dell are hit and miss - but you should go for a Dell Alienware for games. The bitch about them is they weigh a ton.
Lenovos are shite... built cheaply and have you ever tried getting warranty support for them ? (summary: don't bother just give up and replace them). Made the Lenovo mistake when HPs were between models, NEVER again.

There are heaps in the ProBook range... also the HP Spectre's are VERY nice (we have a few of them in our rollout as well), amongst ProBooks and Elitebooks. Elitebooks are AWESOME but not cheap at all. Spectre's if they are in the price range would be my pick.

Dell support has been woeful of late. Alienwares are clunky beasts. Run hotter than hell, and battery life is rubbish.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Lenovos are shite... built cheaply and have you ever tried getting warranty support for them ? (summary: don't bother just give up and replace them). Made the Lenovo mistake when HPs were between models, NEVER again.

There are heaps in the ProBook range... also the HP Spectre's are VERY nice (we have a few of them in our rollout as well), amongst ProBooks and Elitebooks. Elitebooks are AWESOME but not cheap at all. Spectre's if they are in the price range would be my pick.

Dell support has been woeful of late. Alienwares are clunky beasts. Run hotter than hell, and battery life is rubbish.
I got a Lenovo work issued and haven't had an issue for it - nearly 2.5 years mate. The screen is huge, the battery is good, and they are super lightweight. My one has this slick matte black finish to it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah we did a rollout of Thinkpad's as Probooks were between models at the time.

Bad mistake. Half were fucked from the factory (or had software issues that required reformats). Wasn't a bad batch either.

Also that whole "oops we accidentelly installed spyware on our laptops and sent them out" thing pissed me off.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Im a big fan of ASUS, they are the best balance of quality and price. I have an ASUS laptop that is a few years old now (so not receommending u buy this one, u probably cant), and its still going strong and is well made.

Screen is where most of the money in a laptop is. Things like SSD drives (highly receommended) are big improvements, but not a lot more money. If you crack your screen the laptop is a write off. Some brands have 2 laptops, with the exact same hardware specs, but different screens, that are $500 different in price. Research screen types to understand the difference with technologies.

If you are not going to use the laptop for gaming or CAD / graphic design work, the screen probably isnt as important.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

This.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@FreshSoul you're bigest issue will be playing RUST. It's system requirements (from Steam) are pretty big (GTX 980 / 16GB RAM / 3Ghz CPU)

DOTA2 *might* run on a Spectre x360 (in your price range).

Another fan of the HP's I see :grinning: What one have you got?

I've got a 9470M Elitebook.. friggin amazing laptops... but I got it at a REALLY good price. If money wasn't an option, the new HP Spectre 13 is an absolutely stunning but of kit up close. Build quality is remarkable.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
@FreshSoul you're bigest issue will be playing RUST. It's system requirements (from Steam) are pretty big (GTX 980 / 16GB RAM / 3Ghz CPU)

DOTA2 *might* run on a Spectre x360 (in your price range).

Another fan of the HP's I see :grinning: What one have you got?

I've got a 9470M Elitebook.. friggin amazing laptops... but I got it at a REALLY good price. If money wasn't an option, the new HP Spectre 13 is an absolutely stunning but of kit up close. Build quality is remarkable.
Thoughts on this?

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...3-ci7-notebook-with-windows-10-pro-hp470g4ci7

Status
Not open for further replies.