Opinion Lachlan Ilias

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's the mentality though, as soon as an average 7 becomes available the rumor mill goes into overdrive and tk gets many new threads
You would think that the fact the cows are interested in Ilias would tell you all you need to know ? Not on TK.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why is this thread 5 f'ing pages long when it was never, never, never going to happen? Taffe is just as good if not a better 1/2 than this guy (I think I read somewhere they won Flegg together in 2019, Taffe as 1/2 and Ilias as 5/8). Sexton is probably also on par with Taffe as a 1/2. I say give Sexton and Taffe 40mins each against the Tigers this weekend and then make a decision from there who replaces Hutchison.

Rumdogmillionaire

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There both good players just ones older than the other Ilia’s is a natural 7 aswell as Townsend

But ilia’s is a good option good kicking game on him too quick and is a halfback quick aswell
Aaaaghhh - no way!!!
Defs not Townsend (can't tackle), & not Illias - just cos ...we have better options already. Fast forward 12 months to when Illias can play again.
Surely one of our own guys are gonna step up to fill ol' man Hutch's shoes (if necessary - Hutch might still revolutionise halfback play :grinning: )
So our current options are...
Cassius Tia, Karl Oloapu (inj??) , Mitchell Woods, Joseph O'Neill, Toby Sexton, Bailey Biondi-Odo & Cody Fuz.
I'm backing one of these young guys to step up big time!!
Last thing we need is an OLD halfback (Foran) or a busted halfback (Foran).

If we can't go elite - let's develop our own. Look at Lachie Galvin at the Tigers!!
C'mon Dogs - show some faith & DEVELOP!!!

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is it just me or does someone else think it's impossible to have illias and taffe in the same team?
Both play with plenty of heart but no way you could have both small men in the same 17 man team....

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it just me or does someone else think it's impossible to have illias and taffe in the same team?
Both play with plenty of heart but no way you could have both small men in the same 17 man team....
Have you seen our bench?

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he didn’t break his leg a loan deal would’ve been neat for a year. One player can fuck the dressing room though and you already know the media will be up our ass if he joined us. Gus won’t do it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If he didn’t break his leg a loan deal would’ve been neat for a year. One player can fuck the dressing room though and you already know the media will be up our ass if he joined us. Gus won’t do it.
Ilias in a similar situation to Sexton when he joined us. I think Gus would do it if he rated him. Sexton won't be extended and we need competition for Hutchison until a kid is ready (ideally Woods, ~2 years away).

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They are probably trying to turn Taffe back into a half back, and are monitoring O'Niell closely. Illias is not needed. Sexton is also still at the club. Better to offload Sexton for a prop with NRL experience if one is available.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is this thread 5 f'ing pages long when it was never, never, never going to happen? Taffe is just as good if not a better 1/2 than this guy (I think I read somewhere they won Flegg together in 2019, Taffe as 1/2 and Ilias as 5/8). Sexton is probably also on par with Taffe as a 1/2. I say give Sexton and Taffe 40mins each against the Tigers this weekend and then make a decision from there who replaces Hutchison.
There will be no replacing Hutchison unless it is the 70th minute and from off the bench.

Burton needs Hutchison. He is learning from him. TK has been screaming for a half to "unlock" Burton and now that we have him, many of you want to replace him....

Have you all forgotten what happens to Burton without a real leader in the halves?

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will be no replacing Hutchison unless it is the 70th minute and from off the bench.

Burton needs Hutchison. He is learning from him. TK has been screaming for a half to "unlock" Burton and now that we have him, many of you want to replace him....

Have you all forgotten what happens to Burton without a real leader in the halves?
Please explain to us exactly how Hutchinson is benefitting Burton’s game. By running on the 4th? By kicking more? By cutting in when we have 3 man overlaps? I’m struggling to see exactly what it is that Hutchinson is doing to “unlock” Burton’s game

Crashdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Please explain to us exactly how Hutchinson is benefitting Burton’s game. By running on the 4th? By kicking more? By cutting in when we have 3 man overlaps? I’m struggling to see exactly what it is that Hutchinson is doing to “unlock” Burton’s game
We could all produce a similar list for everyone of our players. Eg. Burton’s turnstile tackle to let the first Knights try in or Taffe’s shocking over read to let in the Knights second try- drop Burton, drop Taffe lol.
If we took your approach we would have no one run on the field to represent us.
Maybe just look at each player looking at both the negative and POSITIVE aspects of their play.
Surely you see Burton is playing with way more confidence and purpose than he was last season.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Please explain to us exactly how Hutchinson is benefitting Burton’s game. By running on the 4th?
This obsession with being tackled on the 4th is ridiculous, first it was Toleman, whinge whinge whinge and now it's Hutchison even more whinging. The player passing the ball has input in that he selects who he passes the ball to and where on the field he passes to. So it's not just the player catching the ball on the 4th, in fact he's actually not the one making the decision. If the coach didn't want it to happen does anyone really think that he wouldn't stop it at the very next video session? That the player wouldn't be doing laps for not following the coach's instructions. That if Ciraldo didn't want Hutchison playing the ball fast on the 5th tackle in line with the left or right hand goal post that he would let it happen more than once?

Hello, it's what the coach wants to happen.

Always a Bulldog

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is Illias even in the top 20 NRL Halves rankings?

I don't have him ahead of Sexton or Hutch. Which is saying something.

Woods and O'Neil I think are already better than Illias, and they aren't even in their 20s yet.

He will also be coming off a long term shattered shin injury and will need a good 3 - 6 months to ramp up.

We don't need halves. We need quality middles.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
because, like all decent halves, he's a mouthy **** that tells the other boofheads where to go, thus freeing up burton to what he is best at ie: running

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Woods and O'Neil I think are already better than Illias, and they aren't even in their 20s yet.

He will also be coming off a long term shattered shin injury and will need a good 3 - 6 months to ramp up.

Of course we don’t need him. There is no basis to the thread. It’s just Isaac’s opinion.

Anasta being his manager means nothing. Braiths allegiance is with the roosters. He even said on the broadcast before our game with them a few weeks back that was going for the dogs “just for tonight” because of the 20 year anniversary.

A few journos have mentioned it because we need a half but they have no idea about our juniors. O’Neill could be ready next year

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I think its a bit Harsh comparing a player with 60 NRL games and saying he isnt better then Juniors. To be completely honest (and not big noting Illias), but he is a NRL starting halfback (which Hutch isnt) he has a win % of about 50% I think sexton has about 7 or 8 W in the NRL. Yes Illias has played on better teams then Sexton and its a unfair comparision. But to think Woods and Oneil are better then him already is a bit of a reach. Not having a go at you at all.

I think on potential both Oneil and Woods could be better players (woods took a very very young team to a SG ball GF and won player of the Series. To say Illias is behind sexton and Hutch is not right. He might be a flop, he might be a flanno version 2.0 but he isnt a bad NRL player. He just needs a good coach and a solid team around him. He was dropped after round 2. Souths have gotten worse. That team is imploding within, he and Cook were made the scape goats.

Scoobs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm not convinced illias is a half. Looks more like a 5/8 or bench utility to me.