Opinion Lachlan Ilias

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This obsession with being tackled on the 4th is ridiculous, first it was Toleman, whinge whinge whinge and now it's Hutchison even more whinging. The player passing the ball has input in that he selects who he passes the ball to and where on the field he passes to. So it's not just the player catching the ball on the 4th, in fact he's actually not the one making the decision. If the coach didn't want it to happen does anyone really think that he wouldn't stop it at the very next video session? That the player wouldn't be doing laps for not following the coach's instructions. That if Ciraldo didn't want Hutchison playing the ball fast on the 5th tackle in line with the left or right hand goal post that he would let it happen more than once?

Hello, it's what the coach wants to happen.

Always a Bulldog
No coach would instruct either one of the halves to get tackled on the 4th. You want as many kicking and playmaking options as possible available on 5th tackle. Especially now that you can't have blockers in front of the kicker..

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We could all produce a similar list for everyone of our players. Eg. Burton’s turnstile tackle to let the first Knights try in or Taffe’s shocking over read to let in the Knights second try- drop Burton, drop Taffe lol.
If we took your approach we would have no one run on the field to represent us.
Maybe just look at each player looking at both the negative and POSITIVE aspects of their play.
Surely you see Burton is playing with way more confidence and purpose than he was last season.
What the hell are you on about? Talk about going off topic. No one is talking about missed tackles or errors made. Burton is definitely playing with much more confidence, but I’m still waiting for you to explain to me how that is DUE TO Hutchison

Last edited:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This obsession with being tackled on the 4th is ridiculous, first it was Toleman, whinge whinge whinge and now it's Hutchison even more whinging. The player passing the ball has input in that he selects who he passes the ball to and where on the field he passes to. So it's not just the player catching the ball on the 4th, in fact he's actually not the one making the decision. If the coach didn't want it to happen does anyone really think that he wouldn't stop it at the very next video session? That the player wouldn't be doing laps for not following the coach's instructions. That if Ciraldo didn't want Hutchison playing the ball fast on the 5th tackle in line with the left or right hand goal post that he would let it happen more than once?

Hello, it's what the coach wants to happen.

Always a Bulldog
You want your halfback to get caught on the 4th, so we are left with only one kicking option? Tell me which other team does this? This is not a game plan, this is due to Hutchinson being so slow that by the time he decides what he wants to do the defence has rushed up leaving him with no other option but to run.
To be honest I’m not surprised with your response. You love a good counter argument just for the sake of having a different opinion. I think if someone told you that the sky is blue you’d google or Wikipedia some stat that says it’s pink

Last edited:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No coach would instruct either one of the halves to get tackled on the 4th. You want as many kicking and playmaking options as possible available on 5th tackle. Especially now that you can't have blockers in front of the kicker..
Exactly !!!!!!!!!

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think its a bit Harsh comparing a player with 60 NRL games and saying he isnt better then Juniors. To be completely honest (and not big noting Illias), but he is a NRL starting halfback (which Hutch isnt) he has a win % of about 50% I think sexton has about 7 or 8 W in the NRL. Yes Illias has played on better teams then Sexton and its a unfair comparision. But to think Woods and Oneil are better then him already is a bit of a reach. Not having a go at you at all.

I think on potential both Oneil and Woods could be better players (woods took a very very young team to a SG ball GF and won player of the Series. To say Illias is behind sexton and Hutch is not right. He might be a flop, he might be a flanno version 2.0 but he isnt a bad NRL player. He just needs a good coach and a solid team around him. He was dropped after round 2. Souths have gotten worse. That team is imploding within, he and Cook were made the scape goats.
If you actually watch the games, Illias has no real bearing on Souths wins. I see so much Kyle Flanagan in him it's not funny.

He's got a weak long kicking game, most of his short kicks go nowhere, or he gets pressured up on and flubs it. He was playing Reggies because he was that poor in an ordinary Souffs side where he got injured. Should have been dropped in the back half of last season as well.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You want your halfback to get caught on the 4th, so we are left with only one kicking option? Tell me which other team does this? This is not a game plan, this is due to Hutchinson being so slow that by the time he decides what he wants to do the defence has rushed up leaving him with no other option but to run.
To be honest I’m not surprised with your response. You love a good counter argument just for the sake of having a different opinion. I think if someone told you that the sky is blue you’d google or Wikipedia some stat that says it’s pink
Mahoney and Crichton can kick too

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No coach would instruct either one of the halves to get tackled on the 4th. You want as many kicking and playmaking options as possible available on 5th tackle. Especially now that you can't have blockers in front of the kicker.
So you honestly believe that Ciraldo and the rest of the Coaching Staff wouldn't be telling telling Hutchison not to catch the pass on the 4th tackle?
That Ciraldo and the rest of the Coaching Staff wouldn't be telling Mahoney not to pass the ball to Hutchison on the 4th tackle?
That Crichton as Captain on the field at the time wouldn't be telling Hutchison not to catch the pass on the 4th tackle?
That Crichton as Captain wouldn't be telling telling Mahoney not to pass the ball to Hutchison on the 4th tackle?
Mahoney and Crichton can kick too
So can Taaffe or Tracey.

You need to watch the game more closely and take note of when and where on the field Hutchison takes the 4th. If Hutchison needs to be involved on the 5th (run, kick, pass etc) then he is.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So you honestly believe that Ciraldo and the rest of the Coaching Staff wouldn't be telling telling Hutchison not to catch the pass on the 4th tackle?
That Ciraldo and the rest of the Coaching Staff wouldn't be telling Mahoney not to pass the ball to Hutchison on the 4th tackle?
That Crichton as Captain on the field at the time wouldn't be telling Hutchison not to catch the pass on the 4th tackle?
That Crichton as Captain wouldn't be telling telling Mahoney not to pass the ball to Hutchison on the 4th tackle?

So can Taaffe or Tracey.

You need to watch the game more closely and take note of when and where on the field Hutchison takes the 4th. If Hutchison needs to be involved on the 5th (run, kick, pass etc) then he is.

Always a Bulldog
Of course they don't instruct him to get tackled on the 4th. Can you explain the benefit from a tactical point of view of having one of your two kickers in the team tackled on the 4th so they can't kick or be a passing option on the 5th? If they rush up on Burton, and Mahoney passes from dummy half, who is the other kicking option when Hutch is playing the ball? What you're saying makes zero sense

Are the Coaching Staff also instructing Hutch to not pass when we have a 3 on 1 overlap and will score if he passes too?

Or maybe, just maybe, Hutch isn't the smartest or most aware player and sometimes makes bad decisions.. It could be possible. But maybe Ciraldo is telling Hutch to Butcher try scoring opportunities..

Squirtlevstar

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Keary would have been perfect but the Roosters have given him his retirement package including a ongoing role at the club. Thanks Helen.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have people actually watched Lachlan Ilias play? If so, name one game where he stood out or steered the Rabbits to a victory with a motm performance? He has no running game, no vision and an average kicking game. How tf is that an upgrade on what we have now?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They are at least 2 years away he would be a good buy.
Lachlan Ilias isn't going to provide anymore than what Hutch or Sexton can. Unless there is a standout no.7 out there that is going to win you games then it's a waste IMO. Regarding our young guns, Maybe Woods is a couple of years away but O'Neil is 21 years of age and may even be ready for FG later on this year. We don't want to be making the same mistakes we did before and buying a no.7 just because one is available. We are doing fine and building nicely, no need for knee jerk reactions like before.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course they don't instruct him to get tackled on the 4th. Can you explain the benfit from a tactical point of view of having one of your two kickers in the team tackled on the 4th so they can't kick or be a passing option on the 5th? If they rush up on Burton, and Mahoney passes from dummy half, who is the other kicking option when Hutch is playing the ball? What you're saying makes zero sense.
Can you explain then why Ciraldo doesn't tell Hutchison not to get involved on the 4th, to keep himself available on the 5th. Imagine how many players he would have to wrestle if he did it after being told not to.

Can you explain then why Ciraldo doesn't tell Mahoney not to pass to Hutchison on the 4th, to make sure he is available on the 5th. Imagine how many players he would have to wrestle if he did it after being told not to.

The benefit is Hutchison positions himself that if he does get tackled on the 4th it is where Ciraldo wants him to be tackled to set up the play on the 5th. Also Hutchison in general has fast play the ball speed, another advantage for the 5th play.

Take a look at the games and see where and when Hutchison gets tackled on the 4th, it's no accident.

Always a Bulldog

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have people actually watched Lachlan Ilias play? If so, name one game where he stood out or steered the Rabbits to a victory with a motm performance? He has no running game, no vision and an average kicking game. How tf is that an upgrade on what we have now?
Totally agree. IMO it will be a panic buy just like our past buys...e.g Flanagan and the rest of our failed no.7's

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He wouldn't google anything, he'd just tell you that he's aLwAyS a BuLlDoG

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Amazing what stability does bring !
Stability that we have lacked for about a decade, being able to say YES or NO to almost any player is available on the market...No more desperate decisions !!!
We all know we don't have a world beater as a halfback yet,
BUT we have Hutchison Taaffe Sexton O'Neil BBO and future stars Woods & Conti to guarantee a bright future allowing us to possibly say no to what I believe properly guided a future superstar Ilias.
Personally I can't thank enough The One and only John Khoury and the great board for bringing back Aaron Warburton and most importantly Gus Gould...Priceless !!!

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We already have two stop gap solutions for this year.

Then we have Oloapu back next year alongside O Neil and Woods. Absolutely unnecessary to have Illias