Fox Sports Lachlan Ilias (more of an opinion than rumour)

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ilias’ future unclear as Souths move to sign UK standout; Townsend could stay up north: Whispers

Fox League from Fox Sports
April 27th, 2024 2:08 pm
Lachlan Ilias’ South Sydney career could be nearing its end with the Rabbitohs reportedly close to luring English halfback Lewis Dodd to Australia from next season.
According to The Daily Telegraph, Dodd is on the verge of agreeing to a deal lasting up to four years, with the 22-year-old informing St Helens of his decision to move on.

Dodd has quickly emerged as one of the standout talents in the Super League and has evidently caught the eye of the Rabbitohs, who are hoping for a secure option in the No. 7 jersey.

The St Helens star is already no stranger to big moments against NRL teams as he kicked the matchwinning field goal in golden point to beat Penrith in the 2023 World Club Challenge.
With Dodd arriving at South Sydney next season, it places the future of Ilias at the club under a cloud of uncertainty.
Ilias began the season as the Bunnies’ halfback but was dropped from first grade after a string of lacklustre performances.

Dodd is headed to South Sydney next season. (Photo by Jess Hornby/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images

Although his replacement Dean Hawkins has also failed to set the NRL alight, Ilias’ season was cruelled in devastating fashion after he sustained a gruesome leg injury during a NSW Cup game against the Warriors.
Despite his spell on the sidelines for the majority of this season, Ilias is reportedly not going to be short of any suitors.

According to News Corp reporter Brent Read, the Bulldogs could be the ones leading the Ilias sweepstakes amid a shortage of quality halfbacks bouncing around in the NRL.
“I reckon it’s pretty well documented that they (Bulldogs) need a No. 7,” Read said on Triple M’s Saturday Scrum.
“So I reckon keep an eye on that, whether that’s the next domino to fall, Lachlan Ilias potentially ends up at Canterbury.”

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol why would we go after a halfback who isn't an upgrade on what we already have? We are already getting by with a makeshift and if we really want to go the extra mile we would throw money at a premium half back and not some bottom 8 reject.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Perhaps they're planning to have a backup 7 on the roster. Ilias isn't off contract next year. So throwing us out as potential suitors when he's contracted is very pointless IMO.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No thanks to broken and tainted goods ey

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Brent Read talks so much shit, why the fuck would we buy an average halfback when we’ve invested so much into the juniors coming through the academy.
maybe illias's agent (anasta), has spruiked something to drum up interest in the player

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So that's why Anasta has been defending the Bulldogs.
He's been doing it since being appointed on NRL 360, nothing to do with Ilias.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's been doing it since being appointed on NRL 360, nothing to do with Ilias.
Yes he's definitely in our corner. He's back with solid connections to the club again including Gus. Was a time not so long ago this wasn't the case but I can't blame anyone for criticising the club for past mistakes. Most of us did it

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is, by no means, the problem with souffs.
he’s just the easy scapegoat.
but as for coming to the dogs? Lower leg breaks like that, can change players. He may never be the same. Pass.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highly doubt Dogs will go anywhere near him. Joe will get a run in the next year or so, then Woods will be ready within 2-3 years after that. Unless Ilias can put on 20kg of muscle and play front row, it won’t happen lol

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is, by no means, the problem with souffs.
he’s just the easy scapegoat.
but as for coming to the dogs? Lower leg breaks like that, can change players. He may never be the same. Pass.
Feel very bad for him. Got scapegoated by a weak coach who didn’t have the balls to call out Trell and Walker and now he’s got a pretty shit injury. Hope he can find another club that will value him, just no the dogs lol
This half signing from Souths leads me to believe Burgess will be coaching them in 2025

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Regardless of his effort in attack, I've always liked Illias effort in defence. Always puts in and will always be the guy chasing/pushing to the corner to try save a try or make the conversion harder.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Regardless of his effort in attack, I've always liked Illias effort in defence. Always puts in and will always be the guy chasing/pushing to the corner to try save a try or make the conversion harder.
To be fair very hard to judge anyone at that club. He has done some great things, like you said defensive efforts are good, long kicking game is good. That team has been self combusting for over 18 months now. Was a bit rich to drop their half and hooker. Especially when the next up were no better. The root of the problem lies a lot deeper than1-2 personnel changes.

I believe the coach has not held players that were supposed to be accountable, he has let a bit of a free reign. Some assistants called it out. They are not there anymore. Illias might be worth the risk on a team friendly contract, but it could also back fire. I think what ever Gus Ciro and the board decide will probably be the best move for us. So trust in the brain powers.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is better than Hutchinson but where is o neill placed or the other fellow we signed up that was killing it in afl & league? What about haywood? All good if we synchronize a term that allows these guys to be ready to slot in once it ends i guess. Also would need to release sexton but I really would like to see him have a month in top grade over hutchinson to be perfectly honest.