Kyle Flanagan

silva

Utility
Reaction score
even smaller halfbacks like jahrome hughes take on the line. flano doesn't seem to be able to spot gaps in the defensive line and use a bit of footwork to at least beat the first defender and get a quick play-the-ball. just gets swallowed up.
Hughes is 5kg heavier then him and he is a lot quicker. Flanagan has no pace or explosiveness

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Fact is Addo carr individual brilliance led to 2 tries and dufty individual skill led to our 3rd try. If we play against a team who’s attack is on point we cannot score enough points to go with them. We haven’t scored more then 20 so far this year. We just had a good match up last night against a side whose attack is struggling big time.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hard to take jmk off when he was going so well. And jmks defence is better. And defence won the game
I’d like JMK to at least pass it once when he makes one of his runs. Always dies with the ball (needs support too I guess)

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lot of critics about Flanagan. But he's probably the best 1/2 we have had this season. The others are a "work in progress".
One of the problems is Burton doesn't do a lot, except waiting for the ball to be passed to him on the last tackle.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lot of critics about Flanagan. But he's probably the best 1/2 we have had this season. The others are a "work in progress".
One of the problems is Burton doesn't do a lot, except waiting for the ball to be passed to him on the last tackle.
Burton is a running 5/8 and we won’t see the best of him until we have dominant halfback running the show.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah was watching Roosters last night and they would get 3 in defence and drive our forwards back. As soon as our players came in and pushed back to stop the drive, they used that push back by switching to an easy take down with a twist that left the ball carrier on his back with 2 on him and the 3rd already getting back in the defensive line, enabling them to establish complete ruck dominance consistently. We don't have that sort of planning and/or execution in our defence and seem to do it one dimensionally without any real technique.
To beat teams that do this you just need to focus on getting on your stomach as quickly as possible enabling you to play the ball quicker. Penrith do it better than most but I watched Cowboys last night and they do it as well. Our fitness and endurance isn’t there to do the same thing though.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attack isn’t his fault it’s so obvious our problem is we are so slow playing the ball then JMK is super slow getting the ball out
1000%. It's the same for Burton... by the time they get the ball, they are swamped by defenders. It's even worse when we have JMK passing to JJ at first receiver and then to the halves.

hulk hogan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we don’t have any good options. Cook was ordinary in NSW cup today. I feel JMK plays way too many minutes. Fatigue could be a contributor to his slow service as the game wore on.
No he is shit and slow

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Granted he needs to improve our attack, I don't think Kyle himself would dispute that but I don't think he has been our biggest issue.

He was doing a lot of talking last night, moving the guys around in attack and defence. He defended exceptionally well and was also there on a few occasions jumping on the loose ball which could have been very dangerous otherwise.

No doubt it will ruffle some feathers but he has been the best half back at our club this year. The issue is the terrible service from dummy half gives him no time to play.

BBO has a high ceiling but isn't getting much game time at all.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To beat teams that do this you just need to focus on getting on your stomach as quickly as possible enabling you to play the ball quicker. Penrith do it better than most but I watched Cowboys last night and they do it as well. Our fitness and endurance isn’t there to do the same thing though.
Yeah Angus Crichton also does it well. Our issue is our players don't seem to know any moves or otherwise how to execute them. Like every form of wrestling or grappling, there's always counter moves you can use but you need to know them and consistently practice using them. This we seem to lack.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Angus Crichton also does it well. Our issue is our players don't seem to know any moves or otherwise how to execute them. Like every form of wrestling or grappling, there's always counter moves you can use but you need to know them and consistently practice using them. This we seem to lack.
Bring back Brute Bernard to show the team some wrestling moves....

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Speaking of expert coaches..

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact is Addo carr individual brilliance led to 2 tries and dufty individual skill led to our 3rd try. If we play against a team who’s attack is on point we cannot score enough points to go with them. We haven’t scored more then 20 so far this year. We just had a good match up last night against a side whose attack is struggling big time.
And roosters scored a try after a knock on and a try after a forward pass. Luck goes both ways

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have to disagree. At the ground I thought he seriously went missing, but then seeing the replay, he's there organising runners and directing JMK and being an efficient half. The way we play isn't condusive of him touching the ball that much.
He did take a couple of runs himself, and he could try more of that. He's improving and his defence was monumental so well done Kyle.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle also belted the young Sam Walker early which I would like to think put him off his game, Kyle while small shows some ticker he had a crack at Lui from Penrith he is earning respect. I think he has a way to go but credit to him against the roosters.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Kyle also belted the young Sam Walker early which I would like to think put him off his game, Kyle while small shows some ticker he had a crack at Lui from Penrith he is earning respect. I think he has a way to go but credit to him against the roosters.
I’m glad someone else noticed it, belted him into next week. Walker was tentative all game, lots of sideways running, totally ineffective.

Always a Bulldog