Knights ready to smoke the wounded Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...he-wounded-dogs/2009/09/07/1252201181924.html

September 8, 2009

Newcastle are quietly confident going into their semi against Canterbury, writes Will Swanton.

SMOKIES in the water. Plotting their ambush.

''We're pumped, we're ready to go, we're a show,'' Knights playmaker Jarrod Mullen told the Herald after a pool session in Newcastle yesterday. ''To keep a team like Penrith to nil on the weekend showed our defence is right. That showed the soul of this team, the attitude of our players and our club. We have pride in our try line. We are willing to defend.''

Two hard facts are behind the strut in Mullen and the smokies. They've beaten all six teams ahead of them on the premiership ladder and one of those chest-thumping victories was over their opponents on Saturday night, the second-placed Bulldogs, back when Brett Kimmorley's face was still in one piece and his best hope of playing again this year didn't include the use of some sort of reinforced Hannibal Lector mask.

If the smokies beat the Dogs when Kimmorley was fit and firing, they know they can do it again now Kimmorley is out.

Mullen drives around Newcastle in a black car with tinted windows. It's his only chance of anonymity. The Knights are the heartbeat of this town and as the sculptor of the smokies' fortunes, he's become as recognisable as Knights great Andrew Johns in his pomp.

In the Mullen household is a growing pile of notebooks filled with his scribble detailing the privileged advice and information Johns has given him over the past five years.

''I'm still doing the books,'' Mullen said.

''Joey is up here once a week helping me out with my game and I still write down whatever he says. It's exciting every time he comes to our sessions. We're lucky he still shows so much interest in the team.

'' I've got a couple of books full of notes now, it started off with one book but it filled up with different bits and pieces he's talked to me about. I've got to write everything down. When you're like I am, if I don't write them down, I'll probably forget them the next day. You write stuff down at the start of the year then see it again at the end of the year and it all comes back to you.''

Mullen feels like a 22-year-old veteran. ''I've only missed two games all season but I've been pretty injury-prone with the ankle and the shoulder,'' he said. ''I really feel like I'm still progressing as a footballer. I'm only 22 so in football years, I hope my best years are still ahead of me. I've been around for five years so I guess I'm one of the senior players in the side now. I want to play like that, I want to keep taking more ownership of the team, but I am still only 22. Hopefully I've got another eight years left in me.''

Smokies coach Rick Stone rates Mullen the equal of any playmaker left in the NRL.

''We're about being brave enough to take a big step forward and see if we can make a difference in this semi-final series,'' Stone said.

''We're confident in the footy we can play. We're keen to throw it into the biggest stage this Saturday night. I reckon there are a lot of games up for grabs this weekend. I think seventh has beaten second at least five times in the last 10 years or so. History says the seventh team can win even though the eighth team has only won once. History says it can happen and we think it can happen.

''We're looking forward to having a crack. Keeping Penrith to nil says a bit about the soul we have in this side, especially in defence … I just said to the boys … we'll have to step up because the semi-final Dogs we've known for a long time will be out there on Saturday.

''Mullos is as good a strike weapon as anyone in the finals,'' Stone said. ''His running game is probably his strength, his kicking game is great and he defended as well against Penrith as he ever has in the NRL. Pound for pound, he's strong as anyone.''

Meanwhile, injured Knights hooker Isaac de Gois is only a 50-50 chance of playing on Saturday night.

GATE7

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nice to see that the bogan hicks have started making noises prior to the match, talking themselves up. Suits us to a tee, let them build themselves up . Im surpised that rick stone didnt go as far as saying "Mullo" is the best player in the world to try and boost their confidence.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Please kick this team out of the comp Doggies.

PLEASE!

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
First Mcdougal & now this.

Keep talking it up Knights....love it!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They shouldn't even be in the top 8.

Everyone wanted to see the Tigers make it because at least they have some flair about them.

Knights will always be known for Andrew Johns, nothing else. Having the most overrated player in the game as their fullback doesn't help them either.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How are they carrying on or big noting themselves? What do you want them to say? Do you want them to say they're no chance and can't win?

They're just saying what every footy team says before every game. Just because they're playing against us and saying these things doesn't all of a sudden mean they are being brash and over confident.

Take it easy peeps.

C

chipandchase

we have to watch Mullen obviuosly, he is a class player and has the potential to cut us up.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone fck these inbreds off, already. They JUST scrape into the 8, they beat a shthouse Penrith team and now they're world beaters.

Fcking their sister/aunty/mother must of taken it's toll.

C

chipandchase

lets just win, then we can piss of holdsworth and get BK back in the team for the final

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To keep a team like Penrith to nil on the weekend.........
HAHAHAHAHAHA! How did I miss that?!

"A team like Penrith"

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Penrith only completed only 20 sets. I dont think there has been a lower number in any game this season - even Brisbane managed 22 in their 56-0 loss to Canberra.

Someone should tell Jarrod that the reason Penrith scored nil may have had more to do with the fact that nobody in the Penrith side can catch a football, not so much the Knights defence.
You may well be right but again, what do you want the Knights and Mullen to say? That they're no chance this week (when they are a chance) and that their defence was crap even though they held a team to nil?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! How did I miss that?!

"A team like Penrith"
To be honest they beat "a team like Penrith" 31 nil or whatever it was and we lost to "a team like Wests Tigers" who were outside the 8 34-10 so we're not in too much of a position to laugh at anyone right now.

Lets just hope the boys do their talking on the field this week and we don't get a repeat performance, or lack of, of last week.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest they beat "a team like Penrith" 31 nil or whatever it was and we lost to "a team like Wests Tigers" who were outside the 8 34-10 so we're not in too much of a position to laugh at anyone right now.
Maybe, but WTF does "a team like Penrith" mean? When Dogs handed Brisbane their grandmother's asses to them did they blowass? There's confidence and there's blowassing.

"Team like Penrith"........

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe, but WTF does "a team like Penrith" mean? When Dogs handed Brisbane their grandmother's asses to them did they blowass? There's confidence and there's blowassing.

"Team like Penrith"........
Haha. Hey you know how little I've rated Penrith all year and how much I find that comment laughable but I don't think he said anything too bad or out of the norm.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Newcastle are quietly confident going into their semi against Canterbury, writes Will Swanton.
I see no evidence of them being quietly anything........ they will be come Sunday though :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I hope we beat them, but Im worried.

Then again Mullen needs a reminder *clears throat and reads*:
Loss to Rabbitohs 22-12
Loss to Cowboys 36-10
Loss to Warriors 13-0
Loss to Roosters 30-18
Loss to Raiders 30-14

I'm sorry but they lost BIGTIME to the Spooners, and to the equally ****e Warriors. Cowboys also belted them, as did the Raiders.

Out of the sides in the Top Eight:
Loss to Storm (18-14)
Loss to Titans (34-20)
Loss to Eels (20-18) and (40-8)
Loss to Sea Eagles (44-20)

Perhaps they need a reminder than we have not suffered as big a loss to a top 8 side than they have. We only just lost to the Sea Eagles and Titans. and Parra did not beat us by 32 points.

Premiership chance = No.
In by skin of teeth = Yes.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope we beat them, but Im worried.

Then again Mullen needs a reminder *clears throat and reads*:
Loss to Rabbitohs 22-12
Loss to Cowboys 36-10
Loss to Warriors 13-0
Loss to Roosters 30-18
Loss to Raiders 30-14

I'm sorry but they lost BIGTIME to the Spooners, and to the equally ****e Warriors. Cowboys also belted them, as did the Raiders.

Out of the sides in the Top Eight:
Loss to Storm (18-14)
Loss to Titans (34-20)
Loss to Eels (20-18) and (40-8)
Loss to Sea Eagles (44-20)

Perhaps they need a reminder than we have not suffered as big a loss to a top 8 side than they have. We only just lost to the Sea Eagles and Titans. and Parra did not beat us by 32 points.

Premiership chance = No.
In by skin of teeth = Yes.
You neglected to mention that the Knights have beaten:

Saints
Canterbury
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Manly
Brisbane.

While 5 of those six game were at home and they're playing away and we should win, they are also a team that boasts one of the best, if not the best record against the top 6 teams out of anyone in the comp.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
I live in Newcastle. It is becoming unbearable. They are pretty much already talking about their home semi in week 2 and how good that will be.
Please Bulldogs, smash these imposters out of the comp on Saturday!!!

I want to drive back up the F3 on Saturday night with my flag out the window the whole way!

Status
Not open for further replies.