News Khaled Rajab Eyeing Bulldogs Debut,Has Backing From Phil Gould And Cameron Ciraldo

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Via Telegraph Sport Fatima Kdouh

While all the talk has been about getting Mitchell Moses to the Bulldogs, one local junior has his sights set on Canterbury’s No.7 jumper and has the backing of club supremo Phil Gould.

Canterbury have 11 top 30 spots open for season 2024 and young halfback Khaled Rajab wants his name on that roster.

The Bulldogs junior and Lebanon international is resigned to a full-time train-and-trial deal for the moment, but that won’t be a roadblock to a debut in 2023.

The 20-year old has the backing of Phil Gould and the Canterbury supremo recently took to Twitter earmarking Rajab for a shock NRL start in the halves this season.

I’m sure he will debut next year, probably at 7,” Gould tweeted in October.

Gould doubled down on his prediction on Thursday, tweeting he is ‘confident’ Rajab will be in the mix for selection.

“I heard about that tweet. Some of my mates sent it to me saying, ‘Look what Gus said about you’. I was shocked, I thought, ‘No way’,” Rajab told The Daily Telegraph.

“As a kid this is what you dream of.

“For Gus to even mention I might have a chance to play NRL, I’m grateful. It makes me want to work harder to get that shot.”

SIXES AND SEVENS

Kyle Flanagan is all but certain to get first crack in the No.7 jumper alongside five-eighth Matt Burton but halves stocks are thin.

Bailey Biondi-Odo is out with an ACL injury and fan favourite Josh Reynolds, 33, has only returned on a train-and-trial deal.

New coach Cameron Ciraldo is already working closely with Rajab to ensure he is ready when he finally gets the call-up.

“Ciro (Ciraldo) told me to make sure I’m talking, using my voice on the field and that you are heard,” Rajab said.

“When it comes to my contact and wrestle, he wants me to be able to handle the big boys.

“He said if I can do that, I’m not that far from playing NRL.”

MITCHELL MOSES

There is heavy speculation Canterbury are looking at Moses for 2024, a move that would strengthen the halves.

But Gould told The Daily Telegraph on Friday that the club would only approach the Parramatta halfback when the time was right.

Rajab played alongside Moses in the halves for Lebanon when five-eighth Adam Doueihi was suspended for the must-win clash against Ireland in the World Cup.

“I heard the noise, I don’t know if Mitch is coming here or not but if he does it would be good to learn off him again,” Rajab said.

“He gave me some good advice in England.

“He said, ‘Just play what you see and take the risk. A lot of the time young halves see something and are too scared of the consequences if it doesn’t work out’.”

“But if you take it and you’re confident in yourself and people around you, your job becomes easier as a halfback.”

BLEED BLUE AND WHITE

Rajab is Bulldogs through and through.

He started his league journey as a four year old for Bankstown Sports and rose through Canterbury’s ranks, including Harold Matthews, Jersey Flegg, NSW Cup and was the SG Ball player of the year in 2019.

“I’ve been at the Dogs my whole life, so I don’t know anything else other than the Bulldogs way,” Rajab said.

“I grew up watching Josh Reynolds, Trent Hodkinson and Josh Morris and guys like that.

“But because of my background Hazem El Masri stood out a lot. I remember going to games and just watching him the whole time.

“Even though we played different positions, watching another Lebanese player on the field, it was good to see.”

EL MAGIC MOTIVATION

In 1996, Hazem ‘El Magic’ El Masri became the NRL’s first Muslim player. He finished his NRL career as the game’s greatest pointscorer before that record was usurped by Cameron Smith in 2019.

There have only been a handful of Muslim players since El Masri including Aidan Sezer, Payne Haas, Sonny Bill Williams and Corey Patterson.

Fewer still, have had Lebanese heritage.

“There are a couple of Muslims in the NRL, and I don’t think there are any who are of Lebanese heritage. It would mean the world, not just for me but for the community,” Rajab said.

“The Bulldogs have a lot of Muslim supporters, they come from my culture, my background … and I just want to be a role model for them.

“And show the parents rugby league can be a career. I want to be a figure they look up to and show everyone that if you want to work hard, you can make it.”

BULLDOGS BROTHERS

The Bulldogs have a rich history of brothers at the club.

Peter, Chris and Steve Mortimer played together during the 1970s and 80s.

Darren and Jason Smith in the 1990s and twins Brett and Josh Morris played alongside each other between 2015 and 2018.

Rajab wants to continue that tradition with his younger brother Mohamad, 17, who is climbing through the ranks at Canterbury.

“He is training with the SG Ball team. It would be mad for him to be here with me, that’s what we are pushing for, to play NRL for the Bulldogs,” Rajab said.

“Hopefully in the next World Cup in 2025 we can play together for Lebanon too.

“He’s a hooker and he’s more genetically blessed than me, he’s a bit taller than me. He’s got the goods.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Aidan Sezer was Muslim? HUH?!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This kid is in the paper every 2nd day lolll #LachlanLewisVibes

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as his defence is up to scratch hes a big chance

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine we sign Moses and then we have 3 Lebs in the team. Glad I'm not in highschool anymore because you guys would be unbearable if that happened lol.
Hahaha might even be more than the 3 in the coming years, who knows lol

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Anyone done a welfare check on flopagun?

Doesn’t align with his Gus only means when burtons in origin… he’s said 7!!! Burton ain’t 7!!!

Cyaaaa flop. Chase Allen. You will catch him!