Kevin Moore as CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree give Corey Payne a go. Knows the bulldogs, knows footy. Can learn from his apparent mistakes at Penrith.
So we want to give a bloke a go who got the flick from Penrith because he needs a second chance? I thought we wanted the best person for the job not some charity case. Corey's no doubt a good bloke and a relatively smart bloke but we need people who are expert at this not well intentioned failures or never have beens. I take what some of the "insiders" have said here at face value and given the apparent shortcomings of an experienced CEO with no NRL experience why would we be looking for another one that is short in both those areas. Same goes for Kev. He's a good bloke, very personable but he is working with his brother in law in a labour hire business. Not really great credentials for the CEO of a well known NRL club. As for Bullfrog he was never the CEO he was the Secretary/Manager. Different time, different world. Did a fabulous job in that time. Doesn't necessarily mean he would have survived in this time.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Payne sounded out of his depth at the Panthers. Gus quickly realised the fk up and got rid of him lol

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Doc George, for me.
I mean, the guy's a smooth operator. Won't cop shit. Defends the club ferociously. Clearly he's smart, he's a doctor ffs.
The only conflict would be his position in the NSWRL, and that can't be worth as much as being CEO of a club ?

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So we want to give a bloke a go who got the flick from Penrith because he needs a second chance? I thought we wanted the best person for the job not some charity case. Corey's no doubt a good bloke and a relatively smart bloke but we need people who are expert at this not well intentioned failures or never have beens. I take what some of the "insiders" have said here at face value and given the apparent shortcomings of an experienced CEO with no NRL experience why would we be looking for another one that is short in both those areas. Same goes for Kev. He's a good bloke, very personable but he is working with his brother in law in a labour hire business. Not really great credentials for the CEO of a well known NRL club. As for Bullfrog he was never the CEO he was the Secretary/Manager. Different time, different world. Did a fabulous job in that time. Doesn't necessarily mean he would have survived in this time.
I agree with you to some extent. Do we know why Gus got rid of him. Was it political? Not sure. Corey might have been out of his depth, however does he have the ability to learn from his mistakes and develop the required skill set to be a good CEO. Just though that he has been through the bulldogs system and has knows more about football than Raelene. Also another point at this stage it might be irrelevant what a new CEO can bring as they will be overruled by the board.

I remember Dave Smith was appointed NRL CEO and had a fantastic resume but failed miserably maybe due to his lack of footy knowledge and a grasp for the the game overall. Just saying a former bulldog who has business qualifications might just be the right fit. Just an opinion.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Corry Payne? What happened with him at the panthers
I agree give Corey Payne a go. Knows the bulldogs, knows footy. Can learn from his apparent mistakes at Penrith.
At the Panthers I think he may have had a dispute with the "old boys" there when he more or less said "I'm the CEO here so I'm the one who is running the show... not you". The always more knowledgeable old farts in the background didn't like it so Corey told them to shove it.

In his playing days Corey Payne oozed the Bulldogs culture; he was a real hard nut. He's also a pretty smart one too. After the Bulldogs he pursued a Masters of Commerce course at the University of Sydney Business School.

So as far as I'm concerned Corey would be a good fit for the position of CEO. It would be very interesting to see how he got on with DES.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most important attributes for the job as CEO at our club is passion (bleeding blue @ white that is) and the ability to inspire all those working for the club including the players since it is so obvious that our coach is not capable of doing it. Bullfrog was very good at this, now Polities is the best at it.
This would be the most difficult part of been a CEO the rest can be done by the proper staff.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lol Payne went out and tried to run training sessions for the players. Silly **** was way out of his depth. I reckon he was hired as a feel good story but actually thought he'd be doing shit not just being a puppet. I think he got in trouble for a phone call he made aswell.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with you to some extent. Do we know why Gus got rid of him. Was it political? Not sure. Corey might have been out of his depth, however does he have the ability to learn from his mistakes and develop the required skill set to be a good CEO. Just though that he has been through the bulldogs system and has knows more about football than Raelene. Also another point at this stage it might be irrelevant what a new CEO can bring as they will be overruled by the board.

I remember Dave Smith was appointed NRL CEO and had a fantastic resume but failed miserably maybe due to his lack of footy knowledge and a grasp for the the game overall. Just saying a former bulldog who has business qualifications might just be the right fit. Just an opinion.
If Payne couldn't work with gus he has no chance with our board. All he had to do was sit and learn and clearly that didn't happen. I'm not saying he isn't a good bloke or that he isn't smart but he has his own business and I suspect he is used to doing things his way and that always ends in tears when you have a board on top of you. Souths had the same problem with Lee. Great CEO in the public sector but bubkis in the NRL, the bloke they just dumped from Manly? Great school principal - NRL nothing... One day the NRL clubs will really be run professionally but at the moment they still have a way to go and that means the CEO's have to be from within the NRL environment.

Malla

Reaction score
I personally think he will be a push over hence being perfect for the CEO role and exactly what the board wants.

Seems as though that Castle was not a push over to the Board hence resigning.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Like it or not, its not the 80's anymore and the NRL is a genuine professional sport these days, my personal view is to be on the list of potential CEO's, you should have a education qualification in business, and another specifically in sports admin or science, you should also have minimum 2 other admin/management roles on your resume but more would be better.

If that person had history with the club it would be a small bonus, but only in that it would give fans a warm and fuzzy feeling, outside that it would be totally irrelevant to your ability to do the job.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What's Kevin Moore's experience at running a football club? He hasn't been involved in a professional football club since 2011 and we are supposed to hand him the CEO position?
Would be less of a punt than Castle..

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If Payne couldn't work with gus he has no chance with our board. All he had to do was sit and learn and clearly that didn't happen. I'm not saying he isn't a good bloke or that he isn't smart but he has his own business and I suspect he is used to doing things his way and that always ends in tears when you have a board on top of you. Souths had the same problem with Lee. Great CEO in the public sector but bubkis in the NRL, the bloke they just dumped from Manly? Great school principal - NRL nothing... One day the NRL clubs will really be run professionally but at the moment they still have a way to go and that means the CEO's have to be from within the NRL environment.
Sounds like most NRL clubs want a CEO that will do what they want rather than coming in a making changes, improvements or having an opinion. Defeats the purpose of having the CEO position.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd give the job to Paul Dunn first.
Yes but Payne has proper business qualifications and I don't think Dunn has any. Payne does however lack experience in the position however.

Status
Not open for further replies.