Kev gets the call: Bulldogs to anoint Moore as coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Kevin Moore will continue the Bulldogs' "family club" tradition when he is officially announced as successor to Steve Folkes as coach tomorrow.

The assistant coach's appointment carries on a long association between the Bulldogs and the Moore family after his father, the late Peter "Bullfrog" Moore, served as chief executive for a record 26 years.

The Bulldogs have also welcomed a favourite son back to the Kennel in Jim Dymock, who has signed on as Moore's assistant until the end of 2009. Dymock, the Clive Churchill medallist for the Bulldogs in 1995, will start in his new role on Tuesday after Cronulla granted him a release.

Moore had been the favourite to succeed Folkes, his brother-in-law, with Daniel Anderson, Mick Potter and Stephen Kearney also contenders for the top job.

Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg denied Moore's signing was a done deal during the week but The Sun-Herald can confirm his appointment. Dogs officials were completing the details of the contract, including its duration, last night.

Asked about the decision, a tight-lipped Greenberg said: "There's no doubt we'll be making an announcement about the coach this week and Kevin Moore has been considered."

The club will today issue a media call for tomorrow to announce the news formally. An earlier statement was considered but officials didn't want any distractions for the players ahead of today's clash with the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium.

Moore, who was unavailable for comment late yesterday, has an outstanding record coaching the Bulldogs' lower grades and has the support of most of the players.

Dymock, the Sharks NYC coach, saw his new role as a stepping stone to a first grade coaching career.

"Definitely. I have ambitions to be a first grade coach," Dymock said.

"I've been coaching for four years now and I'm not ready yet, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

"It's good to go back. I have a bit of history there and it's all been good at Canterbury."

The former Kangaroos lock thanked Sharks coach Ricky Stuart for allowing him to take up the new post.

"People will probably think he's dirty and that's why he's pissed me off to Canterbury this year, but it wasn't like that," Dymock said.

"We thought it would be better for both parties. Ricky was really good and said to take it. He's always looking after us and he's happy for me.

"He looked after me and gave me my start. He knows it's the right thing."

One of Moore's top priorities will be recruitment, following the recent losses of Willie Mason, Mark O'Meley and Brent Sherwin. Also, Willie Tonga will leave for North Queensland at the end of the season.

There is speculation another star player could be on the way out, with Reni Maitua mulling over whether to ask for a release.

A week after assuring Bulldogs officials he would see out his contract, the former Test utility flew to Queensland over the weekend to consider his options.

"We see Reni being a huge part of our plans going forward and we want to help him get back to the form which saw him earn a Kangaroos jersey," Greenberg said.

"We are going to catch up with him and his manager next week to make sure we're on the same page."

Having missed out on Storm sensation Israel Folau, the Bulldogs have a recruitment "hit list" which includes Dragons backs Matt Cooper and Josh Morris, Roosters prop David Shillington, Brisbane's Steve Michaels and Cowboys prop Carl Webb.

Bulldogs great Steve Mortimer said the club should take a leaf out of Brisbane's recruiting policy.

"Now Darren Lockyer is in his prime and looking to go overseas in the near future, what the Broncos have done cleverly is recruited players that are catalysts in attack - Peter Wallace, Michael Ennis and P.J. Marsh," he said.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1207856912116.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Fanoftheyears

Kennel Established
Reaction score
good to see that's settled and now focus more on recruiting and most importantly stringing wins together.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
How is it going to work with Dymock coming straight over? Moore hasn't taken over yet so what would Jim do? This makes me think Folkesy might not last the week, which would be sad IMO but may be the best thing moving forward.

It feels like the 90s again. Something the new board wanted I think but I don't know if I like it. I felt better about the club last year tbh.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe just an extra assistant this year so players become more aquainted with him until his official appointment next year, rather than work together straight up at the beginning of next year. Can be a positive, I hope

:p

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is it going to work with Dymock coming straight over? Moore hasn't taken over yet so what would Jim do? This makes me think Folkesy might not last the week, which would be sad IMO but may be the best thing moving forward.

It feels like the 90s again. Something the new board wanted I think but I don't know if I like it. I felt better about the club last year tbh.
it'd be awkward at least

Gizmo

Hero's r Zero's
Reaction score
Interesting that Dymock is only signed to the end of next year???

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Interesting that Dymock is only signed to the end of next year???
Why? He is the ASSISTANT coach. I think it is a smart move to have a short contracts for assistant coaches and a 3 year maximum for the head coach.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Why? He is the ASSISTANT coach. I think it is a smart move to have a short contracts for assistant coaches and a 3 year maximum for the head coach.
Exactly! Puts more pressure on them to perform and not get too comfortable.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It will just be to familiarise himself with the club and the players.

Folkes will definately see out the season.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remember that Dymock wasnt coming straight over originally its prob only because ricky stuart said they had to get rid of him if he was signed for dogs next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.