Kerrod Holland goes from park footy to facing Semi Radradra

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a/news-story/0cde6beb75bd438203692191c699b493

TWELVE months after lining up in park footy for the Cessnock Goannas, Kerrod Holland will face one of rugby league’s most formidable tasks in marking Parramatta superstars Semi Radradra and Michael Jennings.

The meteoric rise of the 23-year-old Canterbury centre is the stuff of dreams but he faces the prospect of coming crashing back to reality lining up opposite the pair of superstars at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

After making a dream debut, kicking the winning goal after the siren to beat Penrith in round two, Holland has made a strong case for a permanent spot in Des Hasler’s best 17.

It was one year ago, after finishing his electrician’s apprenticeship, that Holland decided he had a fire burning in him to play NRL and didn’t want to die with the music in him.

Having spent a pre-season with the Newcastle Knights reserves, he fought his way into their NSW Cup team, won the premiership with them and was named in the NSW Cup team of the year.

It’s then that Canterbury came knocking and the door really opened up for him.

“As a young bloke, I did an apprenticeship, went around the tracks and I thought to myself `would I be good enough to play in the NRL?’” Holland said.

“Playing rugby league, you always have that question there and you never want to die wondering.

“I thought I’d give it a bit of a crack and here I am.” Now, he faces the toughest test of his burgeoning career when he and right-side partner Sam Perrett will be asked to mark up on speed demon Jennings and the two-time reigning Dally M winger of the year Radradra, who was on Tuesday named to make his Kangaroos debut next month.

Radradra left a lasting impression on the Bulldogs last month when he almost single-handedly engineered their 20-6 win, scoring a double and setting up one of the best tries of the year when he leapt over Perrett and unloaded off the ground for Jennings. “Me and Sammy Perrett will have a job to do this week, definitely,” Holland said.

“I love every minute of it, I love coming to training and I love playing.

“It’s an opportunity that I don’t know how long it will last. I’ve just got to take those opportunities and enjoy every game.”

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They didn't quote any "mate" s. I reckon he will deliver. Good head on his shoulders.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I thought Radradra / Jennings lined up against Rona / JMoz ??

Either way ... since that game Sammy Perret has sparked into form.. Just go to stop them getting the ball.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He better go well just recruited him in SuperCoach

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Radradra / Jennings lined up against Rona / JMoz ??

Either way ... since that game Sammy Perret has sparked into form.. Just go to stop them getting the ball.
Nah they all play on the left. JMoz moves to right centre in Origin to accomodate Jennings on the left and to mark Inglis

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries at all...mate!
Holland and Hopoate have been the only bright lights in a dull Bulldogs season to date.

Holland will kill it!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd move Morris to contain Semi.
Semi killed us in the last game but apart from that freak catch his big runs were up the middle. We just need to trust that Perrett and Holland are up to the task of shutting down Jennings and Semi.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Those sparky qualifications will always be good to have too.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Hollands journey was tougher than Rads. rads was already playing pro rugby while old mate Kezza was playing against Nelson Bay at one point

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
In the deep end with you Holland!

Wouldnt be a terrible idea to switch Morris with Holland for the match, mainly as a defensive move. JMoz is a great defender. Even with tackles he misses, he ends up catching them again and finishing it off. Would like his defense vs Rad and Jennings. Would also give Perrett the confidence to stay on his wing in defence, with no need to cover the inside . It would give us defence to the sideline in front of those 2. If we keep those 2 quiet, any disadvantage caused by the switch would be well made up for if Eels score a lot less points.

Status
Not open for further replies.