Kent vs Bellamy

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

But Kent fired back on Wednesday evening, accusing the Melbourne coach of encouraging dangerous practices in the sport.

“Grapple tackle, chicken wing, rolling pin, hip drop, crusher, crocodile rolls, cannon balls, ankle twists — they are all tackles designed to make and injure players, all pioneered in Melbourne,” Kent said on NRL 360.

“The only constant in Melbourne since 2005 when all those tackles have been brought in and later banned in the game is the head coach Craig Bellamy.

“So I think the less advice we take from Craig Bellamy about the welfare of players the better — and you can go to town on that because you know what they are the ones that are doing it.

Shit, I actually agree with Kent :fearscream:

Go Dogs

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kent is a journo.. he has never blasted a team like the Rorter$ as hes always very positive when it comes to Politi$ ..

Last year final round he blasted the Storm & Raiders for potentially tanking yet they nearly beat Dragons with a young team & Raiders beat the Sharks.. he never blasted the Rorter$ even though they lost 60-8 in the final round..

I take what he says with a grain of salt as his bias is clear by who he chooses to criticise..

Storm won the comp it was a big kick in the guts for him & hence the msgs sent from storm players post GF..

The point here isnt if what Kent is saying is correct but they pick & choose who they want to criticise & attack & its always against some clubs and infavour of others ..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
First time I've ever agreed with Kent lol

Shouldn't even have them in the comp from Melbourne.

They are a Qld team based out of Victoria.
Never ever produced a local fg player in all these years ever I suspect?

Well run yes but have added nothing of value to the product called Rugby League or anything of value to the heart of league either. Just a fly in, fly out operation.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't agree with Paul Kent very often but 100% agree with him on this. The big majority of newly invented tackles have come from the Storm under Bellamy's reign.

All designed to slow down the play the ball and give his team the time to get their brick wall 10 metres set.

Some of these tackles have even cropped up in junior league. Saw a cannon ball tackle in under 14s a few years ago which escalated into an all in brawl and parents running onto the field trying to stop it.

The tackler got a year suspension. The tackled player injured his knee very badly and to the best of my knowledge hasn't played since.

I know it was A different type of tackle but what happened to Alex McKinnon was not a surprise. It was even less surprising who the opposition were on that might.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wow! ...I finally agree with Paul Kent and credit to him for having the balls to say what many people think but too afraid to speak in fear of retribution.

Melbourne are well and truly the pioneers of exploring ways of gaining any advantage even if it is at the expense of an opposition player's welfare.

NRL continually make allowances and protect high profile clubs or high profile players which explains the questionable decision to only serve 2 weeks punishment for a dog act on Ryan Matterson yet his return still remains unknown, penalising both club and player and his future.

NRL puts the onus back onto the club to follow protocols reserved around concussion or be sanctioned, mitigating their responsibility.

The NRL can ill afford to have another Alex McKinnon incident and people in media circles should not be bias to their allegiance when it comes to player welfare....with many attempting to bear comparisons with other punishments just because their serving the same amount of time off the field.

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Another Melbourne game, another dodgy tackle... I think Kent might be into something?

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Kent is a journo.. he has never blasted a team like the Rorter$ as hes always very positive when it comes to Politi$ ..
Man a good journo aint biased and calls it how it is. And he shoulda smacked my mob for going down 60-8 and smack them again for last nights effort.

BUT taking on Bellyache is 100% what most RL fans I reckon think of Melbs tactics and the crap they brought into the game. And fess up here, some of those tactics are designed to injure players and that's a dog act imho. It's not winning fair.

And if his tactics are in the rules then rewrite them. And maybe throw down a massive fine to the coach and the club besides the player.
Hmmm could you ban a coach for 6 weeks ???? Maybe taking shit here but I get so pissed at Melb.......kinda like you blokes get pissed at my side. But I can handle that because cannot say I've met a shitty Dogs fan, even chatting after the games and in the stands at the games.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Kent wants to talk about dodgy tackles & dangerous play lets see what he says about several incidents the Rorter$ players did last night..

The silence will be deafening.. Biased.. Would never have abad word to say about the rorter$..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

In the schoolyard argument between Craig Bellamy and NRL 360 host Paul Kent, the Melbourne Storm have gone running to the teacher.

Cracks, cracks everywhere, is the Melbourne house about to fall down?

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't stand Kent and the way he carries on is absurd. He's the angriest man in the world. He must have a 3mm cock.

Even if he has a point about Bellamy and Melbourne's tactics over the years, the attacks are so over the top and he's lucky he still has a job. Fox's coverage is unbearable. Almost as much as 9's.. Outside of Voss, Read, Ennis, Benji and Graham none of them have a clue and just talk complete shit.

The standard of coverage and journalism in the NRL is diabolical at the moment.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kent has been really good lately.

On the weekend Triple M show he did a good rant on Greenberg and the gay marriage nonsense and how bad the grand final entertainment is. Also spoke about Greenturd trying to get the NRL to champion climate change. He is one of the few journalists willing to speak his mind and not dance around the issues.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I've ever agreed with Kent lol

Shouldn't even have them in the comp from Melbourne.

They are a Qld team based out of Victoria.
Never ever produced a local fg player in all these years ever I suspect?

Well run yes but have added nothing of value to the product called Rugby League or anything of value to the heart of league either. Just a fly in, fly out operation.
from memory, Mahe Fonua was a local Melbourne product

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

But Kent fired back on Wednesday evening, accusing the Melbourne coach of encouraging dangerous practices in the sport.

“Grapple tackle, chicken wing, rolling pin, hip drop, crusher, crocodile rolls, cannon balls, ankle twists — they are all tackles designed to make and injure players, all pioneered in Melbourne,” Kent said on NRL 360.

“The only constant in Melbourne since 2005 when all those tackles have been brought in and later banned in the game is the head coach Craig Bellamy.

“So I think the less advice we take from Craig Bellamy about the welfare of players the better — and you can go to town on that because you know what they are the ones that are doing it.

Shit, I actually agree with Kent :fearscream:

Go Dogs
the use of wrestling, grappling and the slowing down of the ruck has seriously detracted from the game as a product and entertainment... and the Storm have been the best at it

but sport is a contest and not necessarily between equally talented players or teams... and so it also becomes a contest as to tactics, preparation, attitude, gamesmanship, mentality etc... and in this contest, you seek whatever advantage you can to win

for example, the Eels teams of the 80's on talent alone were better than the 'Dogs and yet the ledger reads 4 premierships plus another GF appearance each during that decade... and I think that is because we were tougher, better defensively, better prepared, better tactically... Sterling, Kenny, Price, Cronin, Ella, Grothe etc. were stars, made team of the decade selections etc. but we changed the way the game is played --> rules had to be changed because of us

so, as a 'Dogs supporter proud of the "Dogs of War" teams in the mid-80's, I respect the Storm and what they have done WITHIN the rules to win... they breached the cap and got the punishment they deserved and in truth, I am sceptical of the claims of the coach and some players that they did not know what was going on --> yes, people gift me a boat too simply out of a genuine respect and affection

there is a player welfare issue though to take into account as a result of the greater emphasis on wrestling and grappling... these skills are learned from martial artists and so, can lead to hurting players on the field accidentally (eg. Alex McKinnon) or intentionally (see how Adam Blair used to twist tackled players lower leg which could cause ligament damage or how Sika Manu used to drive his knee into players calf muscles or thighs when tackled to cause corks)

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kent can single out Melbourne for introducing these wrestling moves but he can't single them out for the continuation of them as every club has adopted the same wrestling tactics. And now that these are entrenched in the code, good luck getting everyone to give them up now. It's too late imo.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kent can single out Melbourne for introducing these wrestling moves but he can't single them out for the continuation of them as every club has adopted the same wrestling tactics. And now that these are entrenched in the code, good luck getting everyone to give them up now. It's too late imo.
The thing is though, with the touch footy six again crap, there's nowhere near as much wrestling as the game is so fast and the refs are so trigger happy. So Kent ranting about this now instead of five years ago where it was more of an issue just proves what an agenda and vendetta he has against Bellamy.

As you said, every club did it. Des, Madge, Flanagan, Arthur, Robinson etc were also the kings of getting their teams to work everyone over.