Keep blaming Barrett lol

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are you telling us that Barrett coached Naden to drop the ball from the kick off? Which set the tone for the whole game.

Let's examine the first 9 minutes of the game;
0.24 Naden mistake
1.39 Cummins awards Canbra 6 again (Waddell)
2.40 JAC mistake
2.57 Cummins awards Canbra a penalty (Schoupp)
6.51 Cummins awards Canbra a penalty (TPJ)
8.40 JMK mistake

How many of those 6 did Barrett coach the players involved to do?

Always a Bulldog
He is responsible for the poor discipline the whole team presents, he was responsible for the recruitment of many of them (its his team), and he is responsible for the lack of game plan or set plays that we appear not to have, he is responsible for the team selections and bench rotations and he is responsible for the results he has career wise as a coach. All that other crap about referee bias and top 8 conspiracy is loser talk and just sad..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Are you telling us that Barrett coached Naden to drop the ball from the kick off? Which set the tone for the whole game.

0.24 Naden mistake
2.40 JAC mistake
8.40 JMK mistake

He is responsible for the poor discipline the whole team presents, he was responsible for the recruitment of many of them (its his team), and he is responsible for the lack of game plan or set plays that we appear not to have, he is responsible for the team selections and bench rotations and he is responsible for the results he has career wise as a coach. All that other crap about referee bias and top 8 conspiracy is loser talk and just sad..
I don’t disagree with what you say, but placing 100% of the blame on the Coaching Staff is a stretch. I’m pretty sure they don’t train Waddell, Schoupp and TPJ to give away penalties. The back 3 spend hours every week practising their catching and returning kicks, often under pressure, I don’t see how the Coaching Staff could do more.

It’s too essy to say “well the Coach picked the players” but they are the ones actually on the field making the mistakes. I’m pretty confident that JAC suddenly hasn’t forgotten what he was coached to do, or rather not do, in spilling the ball. Realistically I don’t think we are in a position to drop Waddell, Schoupp and TPJ based on their poor discipline in giving away penalties, we don’t have the troupes to replace them.

Simple errors, like those above are not coaching related, they are nothing more than player mistakes and poor discipline. Which the players themselves have the major responsibility to correct.

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t disagree with what you say, but placing 100% of the blame on the Coaching Staff is a stretch. I’m pretty sure they don’t train Waddell, Schoupp and TPJ to give away penalties. The back 3 spend hours every week practising their catching and returning kicks, often under pressure, I don’t see how the Coaching Staff could do more.

It’s too essy to say “well the Coach picked the players” but they are the ones actually on the field making the mistakes. I’m pretty confident that JAC suddenly hasn’t forgotten what he was coached to do, or rather not do, in spilling the ball. Realistically I don’t think we are in a position to drop Waddell, Schoupp and TPJ based on their poor discipline in giving away penalties, we don’t have the troupes to replace them.

Simple errors, like those above are not coaching related, they are nothing more than player mistakes and poor discipline. Which the players themselves have the major responsibility to correct.

Always a Bulldog
Why is Waddell in the side tho (apply basically the same to Stimson)? I know we got injuries but there's no reason why he should be getting more than 50-60 minutes. Topine or Hoffman should be being blooded. We've seen enough of Waddell to know he's a turnstile in defence and another obstacle against us in attack, then you throw on top the retarded penalties. TPJ can get away with giving away a few penalties because he's got talent/x-factor. While we have Waddell, JMK and Stimson (to name a few) getting big minutes in our team we're no hope.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Some players have been very poor, so why pick them? The last bloke Barrett put his foot down with was Hastings, and now any number of clubs including us would kill to have him in the side.

It all starts at the top, we cleaned out the inept board and admin staff and replaced them with much better ones. Unfortunately Barrett was hired before this but the club has to bite down and fix it.

Barrett is a serial dud and isn’t about to suddenly turn into Bellamy over night ( or even a decent coach). The playing squad will get more disillusioned the longer this charade continues. He is simply killing this roster and shouldn’t play any part in the changes needed.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett has to take a lot of blame for poor discipline, not to mention woeful line speed in defence. Who cares if we can scramble if we put no pressure on the attacking team. But mainly it's the lack of improvement in any player under Barrett that tells the real story.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

0.24 Naden mistake
2.40 JAC mistake
8.40 JMK mistake

Always a Bulldog
He coached all of them to do that. Wanna know how? By not instilling fear into his players like how Bellemy does by losing his shit at his team when they play below par or do dumb things. Storm players know if they ever played like Waddell they’d be playing in the QLD cup.

Always a Bulldog

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Huge difference between fg and nsw cup - most nsw cup players are part timers - but i do agree that given the number of halves that the club has tried under Barret who have not improved their game is a poor reflection of the coaching ability. Halves have got to be willing and able to run at the defensive line not just link.
It's just I see Wakeham, Flanagan and this week BBO in reserve grade kicking at will in the in-goal and having great success but in first grade none of them kick like that. It's like they're under strict instruction by Barrett not too. We're playing Desball again. We simply don't throw the ball around so we can't score tries and there has to be a major common reason for it. I read an interview with one of our players (can't remember who) who played with us under Des and he admitted what we all thought - that the players were too frightened to take risks and make mistakes under Des because if they did make an error they would be grilled by Des during post game video sessions. They just played conservative and followed the instruction to the letter of what Des wanted. They would be in Des' good book even if we lost the game. I highly suspect Barrett is similarly putting too much restriction on players getting to certain places on the field (left or right etc) and all that bullshit preventing them from playing eyes up footy. Ennis etc in commentary mentioned this "overcoached" theory recently also.

Barrett needs to trust his players. The reason they got to NRL in the first place is because they had flair / certain skills above average. Barrett is putting shackles on those individual skills.

When we last won the comp, our coach Steve Folkes. He was never a major tactician. He had the players trained physically hard but he left it up to the players to use their skills to the max. He encouraged players to use their skills, not discouraged them. Look at all the top teams now even, they all throw the ball around at will - especially the Panthers and Storm.

Last edited:

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He coached all of them to do that. Wanna know how? By not instilling fear into his players like how Bellemy does by losing his shit at his team when they play below par or do dumb things. Storm players know if they ever played like Waddell they’d be playing in the QLD cup.

Always a Bulldog
Spot on, every team irrelevant if it’s the storm or Penrith will have periods in a match where there under pressure. Come half time Barret 100% sits there says some shit along the line of “clean up the errors, get through the sets you got this guys”. It’s simply pathetic and where would we be without the individual brilliance of Addo car, burton and others?

this is piss poor and if we have to wait to season end to replace these lacklustre coaching stuff then it’s back to back spoons.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's just I see Wakeham, Flanagan and this week BBO in reserve grade kicking at will in the in-goal and having great success but in first grade none of them kick like that. It's like they're under strict instruction by Barrett not too. We're playing Desball again. We simply don't throw the ball around so we can't score tries and there has to be a major common reason for it. I read an interview with one of our players (can't remember who) who played with us under Des and he admitted what we all thought - that the players were too frightened to take risks and make mistakes under Des because if they did make an error they would be grilled by Des during post game video sessions. They just played conservative and followed the instruction to the letter of what Des wanted. They would be in Des' good book even if we lost the game. I highly suspect Barrett is similarly putting too much restriction on players getting to certain places on the field (left or right etc) and all that bullshit preventing them from playing eyes up footy. Ennis etc in commentary mentioned this "overcoached" theory recently also.

Barrett needs to trust his players. The reason they got to NRL in the first place is because they had flair / certain skills above average. Barrett is putting shackles on those individual skills.

When we last won the comp, our coach Steve Folkes. He was never a major tactician. He had the players trained physically hard but he left it up to the players to use their skills to the max. He encouraged players to use their skills, not discouraged them. Look at all the top teams now even, they all throw the ball around at will - especially the Panthers and Storm.
Folkes was the last coach we have had who let the players play footy. He encouraged our forwards to run in two’s and pass at the line to each other hitting holes at speed. You’d see O’meley, Asotasi, Ryan all do it. Our halves always played off the back of it with a lot of success.
There was no bullshit rigid robotic structure like we have now with Jackson being first receiver and passing it out the back behind a decoy runner to one of our halves in slow robotic motion giving the defense all the time in the world to rush up on us. NRL teams read this easily if not done at pace with 100% accuracy.
We need to stop copying other teams and create our own style because it’s not working.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was honestly a bit concerned with signing Barrett given his record with a decent roster at Manly.

Before he got here I watched a video of him giving a talk with other non NRL coaches about defensive structures and thought he over complicated things massively. If that's what he's like when giving out game plans I'm pretty sure that most of the team just try to look like they're following it while they wonder what the hell he's meaning. Natural ability and abundant talent might have allowed Penrith to get past explanations from T-Baz they don't understand. But I think our players might just be in the dark about what he wants.

He's been good for our recruitment, but I just don't see the improvement needed to justify keeping him on here. Given a few of our players just have bundles of ability, we should be fluking more tries off that. Might be that Baz needs an interpreter to get on the level of the players
Exact same issue affected Seibold. I'm hoping Gus sits in on the strategy meetings, game plan explanation, reads player tip sheets and interviews players post game plan discussion then post matches and develops a feeling if TBaz is developing executable plans, which are understood by the playing group.
It's not good enough to wait till players begin to speak out about not comprehending games plans before intervention is made.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

I agree they need to play more "footy" - doesnt even have to be high risk. With Melbourne etc it is my understanding that player like Munster Papynhausen Hughes can play as they see fit but others have strict attacking instructions.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Correct it’s the players who actually make the mistakes. But if the players have stopped listening to the coaching staff then one thing leads to another?