Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have been hypnotised by the smooth talking hoax

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me be more succinct. Last year's players weren't 1st graders & only Burton, Fox & TJP are 1st graders this year....hence my 3 from 30. Totally agree regarding your coach comment.
Burton TPJ JAC, Jackson and maybe King would be the only players in the top 30 that would get a consistent run in first grade at any of the top 8 clubs.

In Barrets defence the roster is still relatively poor, no amount of coaching can stop "stupid being dumb" BUT as head coach he has to take responsibility for the decisions he makes eg Flanagan, extending Okunbor and lack of improvement in basic "basic" skills.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How is that that all our options for 7 (Flanagan, Wakeham and BBO) all f..king kill it in reserve grade but the minute they play under Barrett they don't do any of the same plays (perform their natural abilities / skills) ?

So, so obvious they're being restricted by Barrett's stupid f..ked up plan
Huge difference between fg and nsw cup - most nsw cup players are part timers - but i do agree that given the number of halves that the club has tried under Barret who have not improved their game is a poor reflection of the coaching ability. Halves have got to be willing and able to run at the defensive line not just link.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was honestly a bit concerned with signing Barrett given his record with a decent roster at Manly.

Before he got here I watched a video of him giving a talk with other non NRL coaches about defensive structures and thought he over complicated things massively. If that's what he's like when giving out game plans I'm pretty sure that most of the team just try to look like they're following it while they wonder what the hell he's meaning. Natural ability and abundant talent might have allowed Penrith to get past explanations from T-Baz they don't understand. But I think our players might just be in the dark about what he wants.

He's been good for our recruitment, but I just don't see the improvement needed to justify keeping him on here. Given a few of our players just have bundles of ability, we should be fluking more tries off that. Might be that Baz needs an interpreter to get on the level of the players

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who does he pick that is available and is better?
back row I would give hoffman a shot in Waddell’s spot and topine ahead of Jackson

I would give a anyone a shot at 9.Jmk does not deserve this many chances

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s always amusing to me to hear people say it’s the players and not the coach. people who have played in the nrl say to me a player is doing what they are being coached to do - ie following the coach’s instructions. To me there is little difference between the squads of most clubs in overall talent level. These are all at the elite level - the result of years of training. coaching makes the difference between a team performing in the middle of the ladder and those battling for the spoon.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
barrett is a dud, the proof was there again in the dogs vs raiders game,
barretts own coaching record shows he's a dud

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s always amusing to me to hear people say it’s the players and not the coach. people who have played in the nrl say to me a player is doing what they are being coached to do - ie following the coach’s instructions. To me there is little difference between the squads of most clubs in overall talent level. These are all at the elite level - the result of years of training. coaching makes the difference between a team performing in the middle of the ladder and those battling for the spoon.
Are you telling us that Barrett coached Naden to drop the ball from the kick off? Which set the tone for the whole game.

Let's examine the first 9 minutes of the game;
0.24 Naden mistake
1.39 Cummins awards Canbra 6 again (Waddell)
2.40 JAC mistake
2.57 Cummins awards Canbra a penalty (Schoupp)
6.51 Cummins awards Canbra a penalty (TPJ)
8.40 JMK mistake

How many of those 6 did Barrett coach the players involved to do?

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We are poorly coached baz is too nice and more being friendly with the players,if that was bellamy he would of been ripping them at half time for the stupid errors particularly naden
It just wouldn't happen under Bellamy. They know better and are better mentally prepared to cope.

If they do drop a pass....it's only 1 (OR ELSE).

Here it's bum pats and high fives for each one :grinning:

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
See Jacko in last nights presser: staring at the ceiling when Baz was speaking (he did it more than once too).

View attachment 49422

Does he just not want to be there after a loss, does he not like the questions from the media or is he sick of hearing his coach repeat ‘we need to be better’…
Probably sick of listening to the dribble coming out of the "attacking guru's" mouth.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
back row I would give hoffman a shot in Waddell’s spot and topine ahead of Jackson

Inexperienced but come Round 11, or thereabouts, Morrin seems like a goer as well. We need their go forward and enthusiasm to show up the plodders who stand around looking.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

It just wouldn't happen under Bellamy. They know better and are better mentally prepared to cope.

If they do drop a pass....it's only 1 (OR ELSE).

Here it's bum pats and high fives for each one :grinning:
In watching a lot of games this year hm to first grade i sense the club has gone overboard on "getting around the player who has made the mistake" - it would start to have a negative effect when the players busting their guts are expected to continually "build up" the players who make the same error over and over. The "pat on the head" after an error is not as effective as the captain demanding "focus" through a sharp word and stare.

I wonder what happens at training when players drop intensity, or lose concentration - is there a group hug or a forceful reprimand.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was honestly a bit concerned with signing Barrett given his record with a decent roster at Manly.

Before he got here I watched a video of him giving a talk with other non NRL coaches about defensive structures and thought he over complicated things massively. If that's what he's like when giving out game plans I'm pretty sure that most of the team just try to look like they're following it while they wonder what the hell he's meaning. Natural ability and abundant talent might have allowed Penrith to get past explanations from T-Baz they don't understand. But I think our players might just be in the dark about what he wants.

He's been good for our recruitment, but I just don't see the improvement needed to justify keeping him on here. Given a few of our players just have bundles of ability, we should be fluking more tries off that. Might be that Baz needs an interpreter to get on the level of the players

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In watching a lot of games this year hm to first grade i sense the club has gone overboard on "getting around the player who has made the mistake" - it would start to have a negative effect when the players busting their guts are expected to continually "build up" the players who make the same error over and over. The "pat on the head" after an error is not as effective as the captain demanding "focus" through a sharp word and stare.

I wonder what happens at training when players drop intensity, or lose concentration - is there a group hug or a forceful reprimand.
Can see the "theory" behind it but geez it seems to be adding to the acceptability of mediocrity.

Us supporters are fed up and picking on everything now *ugh :grinning:*

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Inexperienced but come Round 11, or thereabouts, Morrin seems like a goer as well. We need their go forward and enthusiasm to show up the plodders who stand around looking.
Yep, the only reason I didn’t name Morrin is because I don’t think he is in the top 30.

is morrin the son of Brad?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can see the "theory" behind it but geez it seems to be adding to the acceptability of mediocrity.

Us supporters are fed up and picking on everything now *ugh :grinning:*
There is so much wrong with the first grade team however im a little more optimistic in some aspects - the club overall and the increasing clarity of the abilities and limitations of so many contracted players. I dont agree with all that Gus says and does or how he says and does things but i have confidence that he will have the hard conversations, make the difficult decisions and milk every bit of goodwill he has in his network of influence to get results in the long term. If Flanagan, Thompson, Allan, Averillo etc can found places somewhere else to "realise their potential" even if some freight is paid the club will be much better off cap wise and squad wise (potentially)

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There is so much wrong with the first grade team however im a little more optimistic in some aspects - the club overall and the increasing clarity of the abilities and limitations of so many contracted players. I dont agree with all that Gus says and does or how he says and does things but i have confidence that he will have the hard conversations, make the difficult decisions and milk every bit of goodwill he has in his network of influence to get results in the long term. If Flanagan, Thompson, Allan, Averillo etc can found places somewhere else to "realise their potential" even if some freight is paid the club will be much better off cap wise and squad wise (potentially)
Well the past, and current, Admin and coaches, got us into this mess. Couldn't work it out themselves and now we have Phillip Gould brought in to try and rectify it.

I guess short term success is realisticly unattainable yet we definately expect the coach and team to be performing better than what we've seen so far.

More waiting, waiting....

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Blame the upheaval merchants affecting society, even though we don't have stars in every position doesn't mean he doesn't spend valuable time on them to get them up to speed, he is still building a number seven, a winger and a centre, get them going.
I still saw improvement on Friday.