Karmichael Hunt set to leave Brisbane Broncos with Darren Lockyer to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

afghan4life

Beastwood
Reaction score
By Peter Badel
June 28, 2009 .Karmichael Hunt has closed the door on Brisbane Broncos, with the inspirational fullback to announce he is quitting the NRL at the end of the Origin series.

The Sunday Mail reported that the Maroons custodian has privately settled his future and will make his intentions public in the weeks after Origin III at Suncorp Stadium.

But Hunt's departure has been offset by the retention of Darren Lockyer, who will officially commit to the Broncos after the Origin series despite a flood of interest from English Super League clubs.

As previously reported by foxsports.com.au, conjecture over Hunt's future has bubbled for the past three months, with the ex-Test fullback linked repeatedly with a big-money move to play under former coach Wayne Bennett at the Dragons next year.

But it is understood Hunt has decided on a two-year overseas sabbatical. Only a surprise change of heart in the next three weeks will stop him embarking on a stint in rugby in Europe or Japan.

"I'd love him to stay, but I get the gut feeling Karmichael won't be with us next year," Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer said.

"Whatever decision he makes, he would have thought long and hard about it and it will be the right thing for him."

The 22-year-old has interest from two Japanese clubs, with one offer from giants Suntory rumoured to be worth $1.2 million over two seasons.

Hunt was destined to play in the Top League, but his move to the Japanese competition could be thwarted by fresh interest from English rugby clubs.

The Broncos tabled a three-year, $1.25m deal to Hunt in late January but his perceived dithering, which prompted the club to withdraw the offer in March, has club insiders convinced the fullback has set his sights beyond the NRL.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said the club was awaiting an official response from Hunt's manager David Riolo.

"They have said they aren't doing anything until after Origin," he said.

Privately, Hunt has told his close friends he would have no fears heading abroad. He has reasoned he can see the world for two years, earn good money playing rugby in the process, then return to the NRL with the Broncos.

While Hunt will be temporarily lost to the Broncos, there is no risk of Lockyer turning his back on Red Hill.

The Broncos were set to announce Lockyer's retention before Origin II but the champion pivot will re-sign until the end of 2011 after game three.

Lockyer's manager George Mimis has spent the past fortnight in England but insists his trip was not motivated by any breakdown in talks with the Broncos.

"I'd be lying if I said some of the clubs haven't thrown numbers at me, but Darren is committed to the Broncos," he said.

Lockyer added: "It would be nice to have my future settled sooner but there's no issues, I just want to put it to bed."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25699263-5018866,00.html

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
don't let the door hit him on the way out ! he'll be back.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
it doesn't bother me that he is leaving but if he says that he isn't going over to rugby for the money when he announces hes going than im going to crack it.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hunt expects to get $1.2 mill for two seasons in japan.
i think he has way to many tickets on himself, japan rugby is not rolling in spare cash, they to have been hit very hard by the world financial crices.

who will want out of brisbane next........ thiaday

fobsicle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, I'm not turning this into a 'union is superior' battle. I was referring to the players you used in your example. Of course Gasnier can cut it, he is gunning it up there. There are many league players who would gun it in union and vice versa.

No challenge? Well maybe if these converts will play in the real positions then they'll actually be challenged. How many converts other than Thorn have played in the forwards?

And to the final assertion, I think the contest would be closer than you think.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
rar rar will never offer a real challenge or opportunity to excel yourself to any decent rugby league player.
Berrick Barnes. Ssshhh.

Sad to see Hunt go. My favourite non Bulldogs player. He was playing injured today but I love his kamikazee hit ups.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The worst defensive fullback in the comp. Plus his runs from fullback, while brave and exciting are stupid and provide no benefit at all for his football team and actually hinders his team by getting dominated in those tackles and allowing the defensive team to get set even more and make it hard for Brisbane to get out of their own 20.

Would have been a great 5/8th and has great skill in the attacking 20 in setting up tries but oh well, no massive loss for the NRL. Makes the Broncos worse but if he wants to take the money and play in an extremely low rate Rugby comp for extra money then so be it.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
lol he's made some shocking attempts this year.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He got taken out today. 4 referees and no penalty.....awesome.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2004-2007=Karmichael, your an amazing talent and the Australian fullback. Your footwork amazes me and I wish the Bulldogs had you

2008-present= Karmichael, you don't seem to have the pace you once showed, you run straight and hard off kick returns just to get belted and cost your teams easy metres and tries by trying to shoulder charge every single time the opposition made a break.

What I'm saying is, I don't know what's up with him but Karmichael the last 2 years is nowhere near as good as he used to be and IMO, isn't the smart defensive player he once was. It's a shame really.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know if it showed on TV but as Parra were attacking, Hunt had his back to the attack while getting into position.

My mate was like "WTF is Hunt doing?!"

afghan4life

Beastwood
Reaction score
2004-2007=Karmichael, your an amazing talent and the Australian fullback. Your footwork amazes me and I wish the Bulldogs had you

2008-present= Karmichael, you don't seem to have the pace you once showed, you run straight and hard off kick returns just to get belted and cost your teams easy metres and tries by trying to shoulder charge every single time the opposition made a break.

What I'm saying is, I don't know what's up with him but Karmichael the last 2 years is nowhere near as good as he used to be and IMO, isn't the smart defensive player he once was. It's a shame really.
lol
it was funny today whe foi foi moi moi made a break
he didnt put the shoulder in because he still has dreams of the last time he tried it

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
lol
it was funny today whe foi foi moi moi made a break
he didnt put the shoulder in because he still has dreams of the last time he tried it
Moi Moi absolutely bombed six points. All he had to do was pass to the supporting player on his left but no, the incredible hulk was gonna run over the FB and score under the posts. Typical Parra...

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Hunt has played incredibly ordinary footy of late. Wouldn't imagine he'll be much of a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.