Opinion Karl Oloapu

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
First few games, he was just concentrating on his defence, with only putting in a kick if things went wrong. Yesterday I noticed that both Burton and him were in position for a kick but the Reed went right rather than left. Based on the stats KO 5 kicks for 176 M and Burton 10 kicks for 280.

I think that is the plan simply increase his responsibilities in the game as each game goes by. CC is not doing that to increase the chances of winning each game, it is for the future or KO's game and what he will bring for the bulldogs.
Yes it's time to acknowledge what some said after the first 6 games or so...Ciro has this outlook for not just KO but also the whole team possibly...we aren't in it to win it this year bc we can't produce our best consistently. It's long term thinking.

We want to have the team selected for a win the next week we are playing against opposition but Gus and CC aren't looking at it that way. Seems to be slow but sure building of a sound foundation with the overall view of if we win this current week great but it's the bigger picture scenario first and foremost.

Will take some getting used to when we have losses but we pray it works out for the best.

Just a theory.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He was up against Fifita, which is arguably the hardest defensive test for any rookie, and he handled him as good as anyone.

Outstanding for an 18 year old. He looks solid as a rock defensively and will only get better

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He was up against Fifita, which is arguably the hardest defensive test for any rookie, and he handled him as good as anyone.

Outstanding for an 18 year old. He looks solid as a rock defensively and will only get better
Dropped fafita twice IIRC

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bad tackle technique but ended up ok in the end
Strange one. Both feet were planted firmly side by side onto the turf with no drive or separation..very unorthodox but effective. Strong Kid.

transom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes it's time to acknowledge what some said after the first 6 games or so...Ciro has this outlook for not just KO but also the whole team possibly...we aren't in it to win it this year bc we can't produce our best consistently. It's long term thinking.

We want to have the team selected for a win the next week we are playing against opposition but Gus and CC aren't looking at it that way. Seems to be slow but sure building of a sound foundation with the overall view of if we win this current week great but it's the bigger picture scenario first and foremost.

Will take some getting used to when we have losses but we pray it works out for the best.

Just a theory.
Haven't seen any attacking brilliance yet from him. Gets the ball and off loads it straight away. I would love to see him run closer to the defensive line before passing or keep running through the line and putting on his own play. Needs to put on his own plays and create for the players around him. Get more involved in the attack.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Haven't seen any attacking brilliance yet from him. Gets the ball and off loads it straight away. I would love to see him run closer to the defensive line before passing or keep running through the line and putting on his own play. Needs to put on his own plays and create for the players around him. Get more involved in the attack.
I'm sure he will as he settles in. Only early days. Ideally he'd have longer in Cup to progress but things didn't work out like that. He seems to be a sensible guy and more mature and composed for an 18 yo. He'll get there.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For an 18 year old who didn't have an off season, he's going great guns. Strong defence and good passes is all the coach will be wanting for a few more games yet. Exactly the the same as Bennett told the Dolphins young half. Neither of them are there for what they can do now.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I mean he’s already 50% complete with his defence at 18 and handles the physicality first grade. When you don’t need to worry about your defense it’s a confidence booster will translate to his attacking game improving. Sit back and watch him grow, Kikau slots back on the left so will have Preston as an option next year instead of Wadell can’t wait to see how he shapes up just don’t go to Townsville like one person we know….

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure that CC has told him to ease into attack and don't step on any toes ATM. The shackles will be loosened as the season goes on and Burton establishes himself.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some people compare Katoa from the Dolphins to KO as if Katoa is prime Andrew Johns. 90% of the time Katoa catches and passes before the line, doesn't look to run and doesn't show much creativity.

That's probably because Bennett doesn't want to put too much on his plate and Katoa is finding his feet. Now Bennett is about to drop him and have Nikorima and Milford in the halves.

Point is you cannot judge these young halves 10-15 games in as they need time and patience to develop and eventually find the confidence to play their natural game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Every game I see more and more from Oloapu, as he gains confidence and experience. There's additions to his play, big hit in defense last game, more kicking the game before, slowly and surely taking some of the load off Burton. Between him and Ciraldo they are managing his progress very well so far.

Always a Bulldog

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure that CC has told him to ease into attack and don't step on any toes ATM. The shackles will be loosened as the season goes on and Burton establishes himself.
I think the only thing he has said is early ball to Averillo is always a good option

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every game I see more and more from Oloapu, as he gains confidence and experience. There's additions to his play, big hit in defense last game, more kicking the game before, slowly and surely taking some of the load off Burton. Between him and Ciraldo they are managing his progress very well so far.

Always a Bulldog
I agree, last game I also saw him on the left with Burton.

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
JT absolutely ripped reserve grade teams apart in his day before debuting, no comparison to KO .. KO will probably end up at lock once he finishes growing