Karl Oloapu neck surgery out 2024

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Once again you only see what you want to see, your preconceptions taint your view of the facts. The same facts we all see but not all of us have the tainted preconceptions that you do, hence we arrive at other, equally justifiable, conclusions.

Let's start here, the fact as you state it is correct "he finished the year two grades below the NRL". But what you don't account for is that that is actually his age specific grade. Our coaching staff are fully entitled to take advantage of that and Gould on several episodes of 100% Footy and 6 Tackles with Gus has expounded on the reasons for the moving of players up down through the levels.

Rugby league may be a simple game but finding the players able to play at a high, consistent NRL level is not that simple. I had the opportunity to sit at a dinner table with a well credentialed NRL recruiter that has worked for a number of clubs and we talked about what being an NRL level player really means. He also said we should never underestimate the effect of not playing during important development years due to Covid restrictions.

Physically NRL Level players have to be able to;
1. Play at a high level in both attack and defence
2. Play at that high level for long minutes in the game, particularly sustained defence.
3. Take the physical punishment, overcome the fatigue and play game after game, week in week out, for a whole season.

Mentally they have to be able to;
4. Play at a high level in both attack and defence
5. Play at that high level for long minutes in the game, particularly sustained defence.
6. Handle the mental strain and play game after game week in week out, for a whole season.

Plenty of players can handle 2 or 3 of the above, not many can handle 4 or 5 and even fewer can handle all 6.

We see this not only with the mature NRL players but particularly with the younger players. They can handle the NRL level physicality for a few games but then their bodies start to fail and they get injured. Often they back off in training trying to save themselves for games, but that just results in a lower level of fitness. Often they can't handle the mental strain, they hold up for couple of games and then they lose concentration and make errors that they wouldn't normally make.

This is what pathways development is all about, recognising that a young player has the abilities to play NRL but also acknowledge that they can't handle it week after week, physically and/or mentally. Often dropping them back to NSW Cup Level isn't enough, they need to go back to playing in their age group, whilst working not just on their fitness, they often still train a couple of days a week with the NRL team. But also working on their resilience, learning how to recover and prepare mentally and physically to do it all again the next game. NSW Cup has a large proportion of hardened NRL players, quality back ups, senior players and as result some games are pretty physical not much below NRL level

Look around at our young guys, Oloapu included, who spent a few games playing NRL, moved down to NSW Cup and then played Jersey Flegg or SG Ball, where they aren't playing against grown men with many years of playing experience. They are learning about themselves physically and mentally, this is all part of a proper pathways development process.

You, due to your obvious preconceptions, have not allowed for the above, plainly it wasn't a poor decision and it may be that other players will go through the same development cycle for the same valid reasons.

Always a Bulldog
You're waffling on an spinning absolute shit. Just shut up and stay out of it. I know what age group he's in so don't spin me some garbage about my so called preconceptions. The club got it wrong, it's a fact. Shut up and accept it. Name me one other player that played NRL and Flegg for us this season. I can name one other player in the NRL, it rarely happens. Even if it did it happens during the backed of a season unless they're some freakishly talented player. So again, shut up.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You're waffling on an spinning absolute shit. Just shut up and stay out of it. I know what age group he's in so don't spin me some garbage about my so called preconceptions. The club got it wrong, it's a fact. Shut up and accept it. Name me one other player that played NRL and Flegg for us this season. I can name one other player in the NRL, it rarely happens. Even if it did it happens during the backed of a season unless they're some freakishly talented player. So again, shut up.
Why don’t you shut up, just cause he proved you wrong .

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You think the club got it wrong and I think the club got it absolutely right. I will never ask you to shut up, but I will ask you to at least acknowledge another view point other than you own.

Always a Bulldog

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You think the club got it wrong and I think the club got it absolutely right. I will never ask you to shut up, but I will ask you to at least acknowledge another view point other than you own.

Always a Bulldog
Don’t worry about him, his still pissed that Reynolds fucked his mum.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think there were a few guys who shouldn't have played FG last year, but when you have the injury toll we had, and the general crapness, what can you do?
Agreed.Necessity is the mother of invention . We weren't just experimenting, we were desperate

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I have acknowledged it and have come to the conclusion that you're wrong. If he was not rushed into firstgrade like say Papali'i I would've agreed with you. Karl's NSW cup performances didn't scream "promote me to the NRL", it was simply a play made out of desperation.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have acknowledged it and have come to the conclusion that you're wrong. If he was not rushed into firstgrade like say Papali'i I would've agreed with you. Karl's NSW cup performances didn't scream "promote me to the NRL", it was simply a play made out of desperation.
What about Khaled was he promoted to early?

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If I'm being honest a backrower with a bit of halves in him..only 18 let's not forget that polynesian boys fill out big time...did the club get it wrong?..u mean Gus Gould who has one of the best nrl brains in the business...dunno..let's wait n c..nasty injury tho

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was 18 and finished the year two grades below the NRL, no need to look for excuses and just accept the club got it wrong and threw him in out of desperation and now he and the club are suffering the consequences of that decision.

I don't know why so many on here have difficulty accepting that the club gets things wrong. Plenty on here happy to eat up the "training to hard" story but then happily put our injuries down to bad luck because there's no way we could've got it wrong, right?

What could we do instead? Keep Flanagan in the halves, shift Jake to the halves, sign a stop gap which we eventually did with Sexton. There were options. Everything was going okay until it wasn't and I think once we got to that point we just kept making poor decision after poor decision.
He wasn't first choice, players didn't perform to expectations.He was played when he was needed by the club to fill a role.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What about Khaled was he promoted to early?
Rajab is about 3 years older and was performing well in reserve grade, can't complain about him getting an opportunity even if it didn't work out.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, what? Who's dumb enough to suggest the opposite using the same reasoning? That makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not going to let this go, I brought it up during the season and got hit with the "you're negative" and other rubbish. Karl then looks miles out of his depth, gets pushed to lock while injured, aggravates that injury, returns later in the year two grades down and plays through his injury resulting in a potentially serious issue? And then they hit me with the "you're only saying this now after it happened". I'm sorry but no, the toxic positivity that has infected this joint is disgusting. There's always a need for some to attack and suppress anything that resembles a negative criticism towards the club.

Yes, athletes play through injuries all the time and yes injuries are going to happen. At the same time that doesn't mean your brush it all off as a non issue and act like the club can't and shouldn't be doing better. Our team was busted basically 2 months into the season with numerous players being held together with tape and being visibly restricted on field. Poor Kiraz ended with stress fractures in his lower back which can be caused by guess what, excessive training loads.
I’m dumb because I have a different opinion to you?
Fuck off dipshit.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’m dumb because I have a different opinion to you?
Fuck off dipshit.
If you're using the same reasoning, then yes. That reasoning does not support the opposite opinion at all.