Karl Oloapu neck surgery out 2024

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A few months back, prior to his reappearance in flegg, Gould posted ko had a problematic neck injury and the club was uncertain if he would make it back on the field this year.
The report from Weidler comes after the rising star was ruled out of the Pacific Championship for Samoa. At the time, multiple publications, including News Corp, had reported that he had been plagued by a neck injury for the majority of the 2023 season.

TheAlmightyJish

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wishing this young lad a speedy recovery. In the meantime Karl can step aside. Let's blood Damon Marshall as lock instead plz. Love the look of this kid.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
people are entitled to there opinion so idk why u have to keep getting into arguments with everyone on here

I've supported this club since 2002 when I first started watching nrl and no I aint kicking the club down but some of the decisions we've made over the last few years need to be questioned
Fair enough this is a different situation to previous years. No cap & no players made it hard to compete and then like a poor guy winning lotto we spent on consumables and didn’t invest. We are now investing, unfortunately we have money to spend but the player market is bare. Fans don’t know the ins and outs of negotiations, it may be money related it may be brand related. A player may want to start a his own brand of merch which clashes with a sponsor we never know. The people in charge now are not the reason we are in this position. Gus has been here 2 years and we progress in the foundations of the club, the success part will come in time.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How could it have arisen after though? There has been no footy
I don’t know what the exact injury is but if it’s a disc injury it can bulge days/weeks after any serious intense training or game. He would have likely had scans before being cleared to play. The human body is very complex it’s impossible to solve for every injury first time. I hope he’s surgery is minor and he can get back to at least training in the new year. The mental health issues that can come from injury are sometimes harder on the player than the injury itself.

Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Really hope the kid can recover from this.
Must really be devastating for him.
Also, must be hard on the club. Invested heavily in this kid and he was penned in as a key component building our future team around.
I really hope long term for him and our club things work out.

I do have a question for short term.
Will he be cut from next season top 30 squad?
And his salary not factored into next year's cap?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Brent Tate:
"Some of my most challenging times were between 2003 and 2005, when I was trying to find answers about the pins and needles and numbness I would get when contacted heavily in a game. Every time I was hit in the head — and I’m not talking about high tackles as such but the bumps your head gets in a game of footy — it would send my left arm dead. In footy, we call them burners. You crush your nerve and your arm feels dead. The pain is often bad.

It kept happening if my neck was extended in a certain way.

I was going into games terrified of getting these burner episodes, it was occurring that often. For two months, I couldn’t pick up a glass of water and tip it in my mouth with my left hand. I’m thinking, ‘I can’t keep doing this.’

When I went to the spinal surgeon, Richard Williams, for the first time in April 2005, he said, ‘There is nothing we can do for your neck. There is nothing to fix it with an operation. You might just have to finish.’

With rest and a neck brace, the prototype designed by Broncos physio Rod Godbolt, I was able to play another nine years."

Hopefully if this KO surgery news is accurate and surgery is deemed beneficial for him (with the possible advancements since Tate's time) he can go on and have a great career...maybe the neck brace would be as much help for him.

Can't think of any other players with neck problems thats why I mentioned Tate and assumed he had neck surgery before the use of the special neck brace ( He also had throat surgery at one time).

We still haven't had club confirmmation of the extent of the neck damage or even need for surgery... so still message is the same...let's not get ahead of this with thinking the worst for him.

Last edited:

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this but he is years off playing NRL. Maybe Gus can pull his finger out and start looking for more halves of NRL standard now.

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The injury curse has already begun! Woohoo! All the best to Karl, poor bloke. Just unlucky

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s pretty obvious which people should be ignored - responding only encourages these morons.
I believe most would agree this place would be far better if they just faded away.
Do yourself and everyone else a massive favour and hit ignore.