Josh Reynolds reveals how coach Des Hasler is revamping the Bulldogs’ attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
BULLDOGS favourite Josh Reynolds has revealed how two-time premiership coach Des Hasler will revamp Canterbury’s attack in 2017, with the club’s loaded forward pack finally set to take a back seat.

Hasler’s men bulldozed their way into two grand finals in three years from 2012 to 2014 on the back of a game plan that relied heavily on the likes of James Graham and Sam Kasiano to deliver tries as well as setting the platform, making it the most demanding club for prop forwards in the competition.

Even with 2012 Dally M Medallist Ben Barba wowing the crowds with his unique and flamboyant style of attacking brilliance the Bulldogs have never been pretty to watch under the tutelage of the ‘Mad Professor’.

Hasler’s winning record is just about unrivalled but even that hasn’t protected him from robust criticism, which almost took his head, after Cantebury’s disappointing fade out in 2016.

It’s why even a coach and a club with as much self belief as Hasler and the Bulldogs simply had to make significant tweaks in the off-season and Reynolds and his halves partner Moses Mbye are at the centre of the transition.

Some critics have called for Hasler to hand the keys to the Bulldogs’ attack to Mbye, giving him the responsibility for organising the side and letting Reynolds go back to his natural running game, which is innately instinctive.

Josh Reynolds and Moses Mbye.Source: Getty Images
But that won’t be the case according to Reynolds, with Hasler sticking to his philosophy of an even split between the two playmakers.

“Des likes to keep it sort of even,” Reynolds said. “But it’s good. Me and Moses, it’s not like we fight over who’s going to take more ownership or this or that. Sometimes Mo might be on fire and I’ll just let him go and I’ll just take the back seat and vice versa.

“It’s just about getting that combination clicking and making sure that we’re on the same page because we know the game plan, we know our roles and we can execute it.”

It’s a big year for Reynolds not only because the Bulldogs are under pressure but also because he’s out of contract at a time when the horse trading for halves is hotter than its ever been.

Hit his best form during the early rounds of competition and he’s every chance of pushing his market value up towards the million dollar-a-season mark.

Josh Reynolds in action. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia
Fall flat and it could be the biggest missed opportunity of his career.

Reynolds himself doesn’t see it that way, arguing a big new deal isn’t a motivator for him.

“I want to start well every year and if I’m not doing that then I’m not doing my job,” Reynolds said.

“I am off contract but I’m being honest, I’m not feeling any pressure because the Dogs know what I’m about and I feel like if I just come out and play my normal game and not think about that, that’s when I’ll be playing my best footy.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...k/news-story/ac6a1c72dea6938281626f982dac0eaa

Here's hoping but similar things being said all the time.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I like JR and all, not a hater on him by any stretch but $1 million a season is fucking hilarious stuff!

This has to be a gee up...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So the attack is being revamped how again?

Without an organiser on the field, we are fucked... plain and simple.

EVERY.SINGLE.OTHER side has one, except us.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah a Mil is in the ludicrous range lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Once again Des is going to glue the halves to edges of the field, just fuck off already.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once again Des is going to glue the halves to edges of the field, just fuck off already.
Baby steps brother lol, I'll be happy just to see Tolman and JG not being first receiver

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Baby steps brother lol, I'll be happy just to see Tolman and JG not being first reciever
They will be second receiver tbh. No one will expect it.

Reactions: DT

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not an nrl player, im the mug who watches every week and loves the club. The old saying is that that the game is simple played by simple big blokes so i hope hasler keeps it simple.
Cronulla didnt do anything special last year in my opinion, they wanted to win for each other mostly.
Hasler needs to get the players to want to win, throw it around where possible and fight for every game every week, thats all any of us want im pretty sure.
Canterbury traditionally win more than they lose, somewhere along the way it has become too complicated and structured to the point where i reckon everyone is shit scared to make a mistake for fear of a bollocking from hasler.
Lets hope the players enjoy playing for and with each other, nobody expects to win every game, it wont ever happen but just have a red hot crack for god sake.
Oh well, here we go, the official season starts tomorrow.
Go get em dogs.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im not an nrl player, im the mug who watches every week and loves the club. The old saying is that that the game is simple played by simple big blokes so i hope hasler keeps it simple.
Cronulla didnt do anything special last year in my opinion, they wanted to win for each other mostly.
Hasler needs to get the players to want to win, throw it around where possible and fight for every game every week, thats all any of us want im pretty sure.
Canterbury traditionally win more than they lose, somewhere along the way it has become too complicated and structured to the point where i reckon everyone is shit scared to make a mistake for fear of a bollocking from hasler.
Lets hope the players enjoy playing for and with each other, nobody expects to win every game, it wont ever happen but just have a red hot crack for god sake.
Go get em dogs.
Mate Sharks were big dummy half runners, as were a lot of the top teams. It's so so simple yet we don't do it. We persist with one of the ruck Rubbish. Start set with quick dummy half scoots and build from there.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate Sharks were big dummy half runners, as were a lot of the top teams. It's so so simple yet we don't do it. We persist with one of the ruck Rubbish. Start set with quick dummy half scoots and build from there.
That's pretty true mate, yep.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Go get em dogs.
Yep pretty much. The big argument from the Pro Haslerers is stats on finals etc......all I have ever wanted is us to play proper footy win or lose. Give it a crack and walk off proud, Haslers rein IMO hasn't had that and our footy is sour. One thing I will take out of that article is the forwards taking a back seat, that's a start!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sharks bought a whole spine in two seasons
2 ex dogs players there + 2 other realistic targets in Maloney and Townsend that we failed to show interest in.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Last year in the first game against a poor manly side we bet them and they aloud us to look good and it all started,The dogs have revamped there style etc.
Its because we played a team not up to nrl standard basically and what was to come was more of the same old over the season.Only time will tell and unless we have an injection of youth and excitement i feel we dont have the backs to do what is needed.We have lost one of our most potent players in Rona which does not help. We are so forward orientated and top heavy in that department that as we have seen over the last 4 years we play through the pack.Cronulla kept it simple yes but had players with x factor and spark to off set that like Holmes,Bird and Barba plus a form half in maloney.We all will turn up to watch and be hoping we can turn corner but either way i hope Des goes next year for fresh change.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone willing to pay $1m/season for Reynolds needs to go to rehab.
While I do hope our attack has been addressed, Reynolds said the same thing last year "me and moe have to take control" and it didn't fucken happen.
I'll be pleasently surprised if we have a big year, but honestly, I don't think we have the cattle.
Our problems need to be addressed with recruitment not newspaper stories.

N

Natboy

2 ex dogs players there + 2 other realistic targets in Maloney and Townsend that we failed to show interest in.
Very true. The two ex dogs won't be much help to them this year though

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Reynolds is paid a million what are players like Cronk and Thurston worth. Good luck if there's a club out there willing to pay him that much, as long as it's not us.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If we pay him a million a season next year we should riot in the streets. Love him but 400k is the max we need to pay him

Status
Not open for further replies.