Josh Reynolds - Gone for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Highly doubt it. In 2004, El Masri was offered $2,000,000 over 4 years to play Rugby in France - meaning $500,000 per year. At the time, El Masri was not even on $200,000 here at the Bulldogs - which is equivalent of him being offered more than the 300k you speak of.

Everyone, myself included, was so sure he would take that offer. I was surprised when we re-signed him tbh.
Not even on 200k as of 2004? Would be very surprised if that was the case.....more than likely papers fudging their figures to make his departure look more likely and sell papers. he would have been on much more than that by 2004, IMO.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's got to be the biggest dud buy of the season.

Getting rid of Reynolds and Kasiano was a good move.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He's got to be the biggest dud buy of the season.

Getting rid of Reynolds and Kasiano was a good move.
Well you can't predict a pre-season injury so I hardly classify it a dud buy.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Not even on 200k as of 2004? Would be very surprised if that was the case.....more than likely papers fudging their figures to make his departure look more likely and sell papers. he would have been on much more than that by 2004, IMO.
I worked with a guy who was his neighbour in Roselands - he told me. I found it hard to believe myself. Keep in mind back then the Salary Cap was 3.25 million - a third of what is it now, and we had signed Brent Sherwin on a contract worth $1,500,000 and were working towards signing Mason and SBW for $2,000,000 each in the following year and also looking for a five-eighth to replace Anasta (which ended up being Holdsworth).

Wahesh

Reaction score
Are you seriously comparing going to France to play a game he's never played before to moving to a different Sydney club in the same sport? Lmao
Mate they were after him simply for his goal kicking. While the sports are different, there isn't a huge difference of the duties of a winger in both League and Union - especially one who can kick goals.

Fuck I'd move to France if offered that money today, let alone back then.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I worked with a guy who was his neighbour in Roselands - he told me. I found it hard to believe myself. Keep in mind back then the Salary Cap was 3.25 million - a third of what is it now, and we had signed Brent Sherwin on a contract worth $1,500,000 and were working towards signing Mason and SBW for $2,000,000 each in the following year and also looking for a five-eighth to replace Anasta (which ended up being Holdsworth).
Mate, sorry....I just do not believe he was on that little at that stage of his career....regardless of what your mate was told over his back fence. @Why would El Masri speak to neighbours about the intricacies of his contract. I am even less likely to buy it knowing just a few years earlier following the salary cap scandal, Haz was considering walking to sign with a new club. How close were you with this work colleague? Sounds like he/ she was spinning stories to me.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Mate they were after him simply for his goal kicking. While the sports are different, there isn't a huge difference of the duties of a winger in both League and Union - especially one who can kick goals.

Fuck I'd move to France if offered that money today, let alone back then.
He was married with young kids. He was never going to go to France.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Mate, sorry....I just do not believe he was on that little at that stage of his career....regardless of what your mate was told over his back fence. @Why would El Masri speak to neighbours about the intricacies of his contract. I am even less likely to buy it knowing just a few years earlier following the salary cap scandal, Haz was considering walking to sign with a new club. How close were you with this work colleague? Sounds like he/ she was spinning stories to me.
Let's keep in mind wingers are the lowest paid positions in the game. All they need to do is catch the ball and run, and considering Brent Sherwin was on $300,000 per year and in career-best form, I don't think that the Hazem was on $200,000.

As for Anthony? Oh I was not close to him at all. I loathed the bloke. As arrogant a bastard as you would get. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. But... he had no reason to lie to me about this. Here... ask him yourself.

https://au.linkedin.com/in/anthony-kioussis-87aa6321

Wahesh

Reaction score
He was married with young kids. He was never going to go to France.
He was married. His wife didn't work and his kids weren't at school-age yet. I'd do it whether I was married or not.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Let's keep in mind wingers are the lowest paid positions in the game. All they need to do is catch the ball and run, and considering Brent Sherwin was on $300,000 per year and in career-best form, I don't think that the Hazem was on $200,000.

As for Anthony? Oh I was not close to him at all. I loathed the bloke. As arrogant a bastard as you would get. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him. But... he had no reason to lie to me about this. Here... ask him yourself.

https://au.linkedin.com/in/anthony-kioussis-87aa6321
Shifty was on more than 300k a year.....I remember the story at the time about him signing on for around $450k a year....which was a huge deal at the time.......

Haz wasn't just a winger. He was well on his way to becoming the leading point scorer in the game and goal kicking GOAT by that point.

Your mail may be true, but I'm dubious.....some people lie for no reason apart from the fact they are arseholes haha.....surely he had to be on more!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He was married. His wife didn't work and his kids weren't at school-age yet. I'd do it whether I was married or not.
Not everyone is you

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yet you'll be in exactly the same position as the Dogs in about 8 weeks time (not playing finals footy), despite having purchased an entire first grade side in the off season.
Yet we can still sign players for next season

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yet we can still sign players for next season
Not with dudbye and Reynolds eating the best part of 2 mil! Maybe lichaa next!? Pleaseeeee

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chose money over us, even our offer would be better then the regular every day person if not lots better.Glad he is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.