Official Josh Jackson Retired Immediately

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Hi Boys, sorry I wasn't able to do this in person.
"I just wanted to let you know that I have made the decision to retire. It's been great getting to know you and play alongside you over the last few years.
"I'll still be floating around the club and I'm looking forward to next season.
"I wish you all the best.
"If there is anything I can do for you guys please reach out.
"Thanks Jacko.'
This was the text according to Carayannis.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hard to see him holding onto a starting position with Kikau coming over and King playing lock.

Gus made the tough decision at the Panthers to move on Luke Lewis and Jennings.

Great clubman.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a club legend! Very interesting to see who is captain ????
Will give us some good salary cap for next year! He would have been on $700 at least ?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for your service Josh and all the best for the future.

Looking at things objectively it was the right decision in so many ways.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just read the official announcement. Anyone else find it a little weird no quotes from Josh?
Yes, and no. I think he's always been a bit like this. A country boy at heart, no social media, never really a huge talker to the media or off the field. I can see him taking his earnings/ selling up from Sydney and heading back to the country with his family. He's done the hard yards and has earned enough $ with his blood sweat and tears with us and with the Blues to never have to work another day in his life if he has managed his investments well. I suspect he'll take at least 12 months away before making a decision to come back and work with the club in some capacity. Would be an asset to keep around.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bled blue and white..gave great loyal service to the Bulldogs..a one clubman..played for his state and country .. should be congratulated on a fine career.. Deserves nothing but praise and respect..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Massive call by Jackson, can't help but feel he still had some football in him and could play a role somewhere but I guess we don't know how he's mentally and physically travelling at this stage of his life. He's definitely been criticised by many of our fans (me included) but he's still been one of the best people to come through our club.

Overall i must say this is positive news for the club, Jackson just wasn't delivering performances that reflected his contract and realistically it was hard to see him being anything more than a bench player next season. The club needed to continue its rebuild and this definitely makes it a lot easier. Still a massive surprise though..

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great bloke, great clubman and great footballer in his day. He'll be remembered as a great of the club and I'd love to see him back in some way to share some success in the future.

The reality is though, it's a great outcome for the club. Even if he was pushed a bit, perhaps told he was looking at a bench role, it's fair enough. There is just no role for where he is at in his career and we can use the money so much better.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your service Josh and all the best for the future.

Looking at things objectively it was the right decision in so many ways.
He was great on the field for most of the many years at the Dogs.
And I think by leaving 1 year early on his contract he is doing so with the club in mind as much as his own situation. We will probably be better on the field in 23 with his retirement & the $$ freed up in the cap….
Just a great bloke in the Bobcat mould!!

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone who says he should've retired years ago should either learn more about the game or stop watching it. Putting aside his loyalty, commitment, passion etc, he held the middle well. He's going to leave a hole for us defensively this year, mark my words. Not just his own defense but his organisation and leadership thru action. He's not a try scoring game breaker, but we would've been worse without him all these years. He's our captain, a nsw blue, and a champion bloke. I hope we look after him.