Official Josh Jackson Retired Immediately

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow end of an era, Jacko was elite for so long and rather see him go out on his own terms and at the top well done mate.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a quick story about Jacko, I remember going to an open training session many years ago. After the session, the team came over and signed autographs and took selfies, but on the other side of the field a single player spent another 15-20min working on speed and agility drills. I had assumed it was a reserve player or someone rehabbing an injury. After that 15-20min, that player jogged over to the rest of the group and I noticed it was Jacko. I was lucky enough to have a couple minutes chat with him and asked if he was testing an injury or anything like that? He simply said nah mate, just doing some extras to be ready for the game. I vaguely recall another player either Kasiano or Frank the Tank standing near and saying yeah Jacko is crazy like that with the extras or something to that effect. I think we all know what a professional he was, wouldn’t it be great if the club could bottle that commitment and professionalism and share it around the whole squad. I wish Jacko all the very best in retirement.

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You don’t just walk away from $650k LOL
You do if money is not everything. Obviously already owns properties and has plenty in the bank and is financially secure. Pre season is only a couple of weeks away and has decided he has had enough and wants to start a new career. Could have something already in the works that could earn himself a decent salary next year so not a total loss of salary.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a quick story about Jacko, I remember going to an open training session many years ago. After the session, the team came over and signed autographs and took selfies, but on the other side of the field a single player spent another 15-20min working on speed and agility drills. I had assumed it was a reserve player or someone rehabbing an injury. After that 15-20min, that player jogged over to the rest of the group and I noticed it was Jacko. I was lucky enough to have a couple minutes chat with him and asked if he was testing an injury or anything like that? He simply said nah mate, just doing some extras to be ready for the game. I vaguely recall another player either Kasiano or Frank the Tank standing near and saying yeah Jacko is crazy like that with the extras or something to that effect. I think we all know what a professional he was, wouldn’t it be great if the club could bottle that commitment and professionalism and share it around the whole squad. I wish Jacko all the very best in retirement.
Jacko becoming our fitness trainer seems a logical step in his career.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's probably not that deep, Jackson didn't need to be tapped. Ciraldo's pre season is going to be intense so it could just be a matter of the body, mindset and family time calling.

He doesn't even need the money because he made smart decisions while he was at his peak. He is ready for life after footy, he is the ultimate professional off field as well.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Jacko becoming our fitness trainer seems a logical step in his career.
He has studied and got the credentials for this career so you can only assume it's in his planning for life after footy somewhere down the track.

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
JJ was a great bulldog and captain for the club but obviously he’s seen the writing on the wall. Thanks for your service Legend. This is a good move for both parties.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's an absolute champion and a Bulldog immortal who will be part of the fabric for a long time to come and who's one of my all time favourites.

Thanks for everything you've done Action, you don't know how truly appreciated you are

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great career Josh

Had to happen he was as cooked as a steak

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then, listening to Cameron Ciraldo discuss Josh Jackson retiring, it’s obvious he just felt it was time to hang up the boots. All the speculation that he made a deal with Gus, the club etc. looks to be incorrect. Unless Ciraldo is lying which is very doubtful, when he explains how he was told by Jacko and he is speaking in such glowing terms of the type of person he is, foregoing the money from his final annual salary, speaks volumes. He also said he visited Belmore the day after Penrith won the GF, to find Jacko hip thrusting 300kg :hushed: the day after the season ended! And he wasn’t even planning on playing next season. With guys like him and another former captain Bobcat on the staff, along with all the other legends, the only way is up.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
, to find Jacko hip thrusting 300kg :hushed: the day after the season ended! And he wasn’t even planning on playing next season.
At that stage I'd say it was that he was trying see if he could get up to go through another preseason at the same level or better than he has done previously. I'm sure that factored into his decision, but I am sure it was his decision.