Opinion Joseph O'Neill should be our 7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if he doesn’t excel he will be the first to blame again, and the kennel experts have killed a developing player that wasn’t ready.
Exactly right, it’s nice to have the skills, but development is also about the trainers responsibly conditioning these kids and preparing them to also handle the toughness of 1st grade .. both physically and mentally.

Big job, even then, when they’re ready, I prefer to see them come of the bench in short stints and give them longer stints as they become more conditioned, that’s why it’s important to have experience in first grade and be competitive, so these kids can be introduced gradually and hopefully go on to have long successful careers ..

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We might be better off speculating on the side for Rd 7, when the draw gets easier.
Will have a much better idea where O'Neill is at by then, as well as Papali'i and Clarke.
And maybe a couple of forwards like Kautoga and Todd.
Ciraldo will be under pressure by Rd 7 if his more experienced players don't deliver.
I think Kautoga, is the most likely of those to get a run early in the year. But O'Neill and Papalii have too many in front of them at this stage

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Too young to be put in the meatgrinder of first grade and being a lower tabled club. Would rather let him develop without becoming another young playmaker that gets chewed up and spat out of the NRL.

I wouldn't be against a few late season appearances by the younger guys. Just to give a little bit of a taste of first grade.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hutchinson and sexton were good trial 1, not as good trial 2. Dumping players after 1 ordinary trial isnt likely
Sexton played 15 minutes in the second game with mostly backups & with us behind on the score board. What did you expect from him? Him & Hutchison should've started together so we could see who is better with the same conditions.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
For now Sextons the go imo.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our kids showcased their talent but they are not even remotely ready for FG.

Let them build their confidence in NSW Cup. We should also be looking to have them ready around similar time periods, what you want is to have the combinations they've built since Flegg in FG

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sexton played 15 minutes in the second game with mostly backups & with us behind on the score board. What did you expect from him? Him & Hutchison should've started together so we could see who is better with the same conditions.
stupid comment honestly, Burton is not moving from 6 so why we play 2 7's. honestly

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would them playing together be considered as same conditions?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Have u not learned anything from the last 5-6 years?
Dean pay set back coggers career at least two years playing him the way he did so young, yet on TK it was all down to cogger and his lack of talent. Gus and CC won’t burn this kid there is too much a stake. Thank fuck Times have changed.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our juniors will get blooded in late in the year once its obvious we cant make the 8. They need 3 to 6 weeks of 1st grade footy to get a real idea of the stepup. I agree that Sexton looked way better than hutchinson &, apart from his bad pass that lost us the trial, Haywood gave far better service to the halves than Mahoney. Mahoney tries to play far too much like a half when he is a hooker.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I still think sexton is our best option at 7 good short kicking game and can nail a cut out pass unlike hutcho.
Let the young pups continue their trade and build their combinations together in cup they will be ready in time

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the way gus talks about developing halves we will probably wait until 4 years before Jo is in grade. He has a long way to go. on the right track tho.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our juniors will get blooded in late in the year once its obvious we cant make the 8. They need 3 to 6 weeks of 1st grade footy to get a real idea of the stepup. I agree that Sexton looked way better than hutchinson &, apart from his bad pass that lost us the trial, Haywood gave far better service to the halves than Mahoney. Mahoney tries to play far too much like a half when he is a hooker.
Only one i can see blooded this season is Jack Todd.