Join me on a walk through the minefield of Will Hopoate's decision not to play NRL on Sundays Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Join me on a walk through the minefield of Will Hopoate's decision not to play NRL on Sundays
Date
March 30, 2016 - 4:18PM

Peter FitzSimons

Columnist
Let's cut to the chase.

Let's talk about the news that broke this week that Will Hopoate has told his employers, the Canterbury Bulldogs, that he won't be playing or training on Sundays, because it is against the beliefs of his Mormon religion and ...

And why have so many of you suddenly run for the exits, screaming "run for your lives, it's gunna blow, it's gunna blow!"

Church comes first: Will Hopoate. Photo: Renee McKay

Oh. Oh, I see. You think I am going to charge out into that freaking MINEFIELD called "RELIGION" – as I have been wont to do – blowing loud raspberries in Hopoate's general direction. You think I am going to jeer and sneer, not cheer?

Well, not quite. Stay with me.

Sneering unpleasantly at religion is only truly fun when people are pompously citingtheir own belief in a Magic Sky Daddy as a reason all society should or shouldn't do something, like citing The Bible when it comes to gay marriage and abortion rights, or just being insufferably pompous in general.

The problem on this one is that the humble Hopoate seems like such a nice young man, I can't really go the full unpleasant sneer. But let's go slowly out into the minefield anyway, and first throw out flat armoured shields, and if they don't blow up, we can use them as stepping stones to get to the other side. Sound like a plan?

Let's start with the most obvious.

• It is every one's right to believe in whatever religion they damn well please, and no one can question Hopoate's perfect right to pursue his faith. So far, so good? (Mind you, together with freedom of religion, I maintain there is a freedom to blow loud raspberries when religion says atheists like me will burn in hell for all eternity, but let's leave that for the moment. The point is you can all jump with me to this shield.)
  • The fact that Hopoate does seem like such a fine young man – as good as you'd find in six days march in any direction – is likely a credit to his mother, but, yes, also his religious values have probably had something to do with it. (We're still alive. No one can disagree so far! Keep going!)
  • How refreshing, to have a league player make headlines on something sort of nice for a change, not a Saturday night atrocity! (Hop, skip, and JUMP, here we all are in the middle of the minefield! Nice work.)
So . . . what is the next step? That, precisely is what I was wondering. Personally, I'm feeling a tad stranded. We could gently point out that it is a bit odd for Hopoate to make such a decision based on a belief in Mormonism which maintains – and I am not making this up – that after Jesus was crucified, and before he rose again, he turned up in Jackson County, Missouri, the site of the Garden Eden, by the way, where he buried some golden plates, that were found by a fellow called Joseph Smith in the 1820s which were PROOF that Mormonism was the one true religion ... even if Smith is the only one who ever saw them. But on the other hand, this belief in Mormonism is no more odd than the classic Christian belief "that a cosmic Jewish zombie who is his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood, while telepathically telling him that you can accept him as your master, so that he can remove an evil force from your soul which is present in all humanity because a woman made out of one rib bone and a mound of dirt was tricked into eating fruit from a magical tree by a talking snake". And both, in turn, are as likely as there being a Supreme Being called Allah who actually wants his followers to blow up and maim those who are not his followers.

So, mocking Hopoate for the Mormon belief alone doesn't get us there, even though it is indeed ludicrous – or did I mention that – just no more ludicrous than the others.

From here, I would like to shout that this is outrageous on at least a contractual basis, because Hopoate didn't make these beliefs clear to the Bulldogs before signing! But, apparently he did and they signed him anyway – which means we haven't got a leg to stand on there. More fool Canterbury.

So all I have is a question, Will, which I can't resist asking while I have your attention. I note that you and many footballing believers of various stripes point to the skies, thanking your God when you score, the general idea being that He is the one who has made you great enough to score, just as He created everything else that is wonderful! My question was first posed by the great naturalist David Attenborough. Paraphrased and applied to this situation, it is this: if your God created all those extraordinary things, including, I guess footballers who can score tries, why did he also create the parasitic worm that bores through the eyes of children in West Africa, rendering them blind?

"Are you telling me," Attenborough asks, "that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball?"

Killer question, isn't it? And one to ponder this Sunday? Good luck with the season. You seem like a fine young man.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fit...t-to-play-nrl-on-sundays-20160330-gnu6j8.html

Last edited:

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
As I said before why wait till round 4 to tell everyone about Sunday's and why didn't the club announced it.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I couldn't get past the picture with his gay pirates hat . It looks like a long ramble does he raise anything good ?
Not really but I have always hated the guy. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT BANDANA!! In all these years I have never understood.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really but I have always hated the guy. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT BANDANA!! In all these years I have never understood.
He is trying to hide his gayness by looking gay i hope he gets aids and treads on a bindi

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What a load of dribble by Fitzsimmons. Isn't he married to Bourbon Bec Wilson?

Summary: I'm not going to bag out a religion *goes on to bag religion* Good Luck for rest of season Will!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Summary: I'm not going to bag out a religion *goes on to bag religion* Good Luck for rest of season Will!
He has no right to bag anything with that bandana ever

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't read anything written by some *** wearing a cum rag on his head.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had to Google this clown apparently his is an author!!!!!!!!! I couldn't even get a paragraph into this retards dribble how the fuck can he write books.
Also say he played union under alan jones which would explain why he is fucked in the head because he's been fucked in the arse

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I tried to read it but i got bored tbh.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score

I think it is Lisa Wilkinson.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
image.jpeg

She is the chick on The Today show in the morning - She goes alright for her age I suppose but she would be a c@@t in real life.

Ps the above picture looks like it is from ten years ago.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Is that that woman who has a square for a face ?
Ha Ha Yeah actually that's a pretty good description. If that was a police report they would probably track her down in under an hour.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wtf did I just read? I've never read more fucking useless dribble in my life...

Status
Not open for further replies.