News Joash Papalii focused on making NRL debut

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Barba was a half at the same age so stats are not comparable
Barba could have played any position in the backline and had incredible stats, point being is, they’re 2 different type of players, Barba’s speed and his natural feel for the game is incredibly difficult to replicate or compare against… Papalii has a different style about him, he has a Roger Tuivasa-Shek vibe about him, great stepper, great energy and a team player - Excited to see him play NRL and represent this Club for years to come.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just watched a few of his highlights, he’s definitely a barba type player , not in the same category yet. but he is stronger , fights for every metre, never gives up on a play and has a great step an turn of foot with pace. something to be very excited about.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never seen him play, what’s he like? Lol barba dally m season was probably a once every 15yr event. Jarryd Hayne 09 was something similar
Throw any decent support player behind that hot potato football and they thrive. Barba was good. But it helped a whole fucking lot that about 70% of the times that he got the ball, the defence was also having to decide if it was him or a 110kg decoy getting it. And generally speaking we'd have a decoy each side of the runner usually making at least one defender commit. Reynolds and Keating also looked incredible as support running was kinda their thing. The game plan was tailored to scramble opposition defences almost every run so our 1, 6 and 7 (all small nippy blokes) could hit the many gaps created by decoys. It covered up our lack of kicking options until the GF when we had no plan B.

I haven't seen Joash play. But there's been fans that make junior games singing his praises for a while.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barba was freakish, I remember when we won nswrl grand final, we put a clearance kick and he chased it as the opponent fullback was returning the ball, Barba, didn’t even tackle him, he tapped the ball out from underneath the full backs grip and scored a try! Never seen anything like it! Barba, could have easily been an immortal had he respected the game and our club!

DFLWatto

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Barba was freakish, I remember when we won nswrl grand final, we put a clearance kick and he chased it as the opponent fullback was returning the ball, Barba, didn’t even tackle him, he tapped the ball out from underneath the full backs grip and scored a try! Never seen anything like it! Barba, could have easily been an immortal had he respected the game and our club!
but mostly his missus

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matty bowen was tiny so this kid can play FB if he positions well, can take a bomb and can tackle...even if he plays hooker he needs to be up on his tackling. Either way i like him, o neill & haywood & the tall 2nd rower that has a crack

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barba could have played any position in the backline and had incredible stats, point being is, they’re 2 different type of players, Barba’s speed and his natural feel for the game is incredibly difficult to replicate or compare against… Papalii has a different style about him, he has a Roger Tuivasa-Shek vibe about him, great stepper, great energy and a team player - Excited to see him play NRL and represent this Club for years to come.
Lol just say your comparison was wrong
The roles and responsibilities of a five-eighth and a fullback are different so comparing Barba and Papalii at the same age are pointless but I do agree with the RTS comp. The difference here is that Papalii doesn't get enough run metres. He should be getting closer to about 200 a game if he wants to push for a spot in the top grade.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree on this. I havent seen a player with more natural ability than Barba. It wasnt just the highlight plays, it was just his ability to always be in the exact right place at the time.

Shame how it turned out.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember barba use to struggle under the high ball, papali’i has so much confidence.
I know he doesn’t have the speed but he will be a gun.
Makes up for speed with evasiveness. He looks like he's got a few different positions in him.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haven’t watched a second of NSW Cup but one try seems a little underwhelming. Has he been just unlucky ? Ball playing full back?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Haven’t watched a second of NSW Cup but one try seems a little underwhelming. Has he been just unlucky ? Ball playing full back?
He has set up quite a few, especially for Skelton.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Connor plays a hard style,im getting he may get injuries and this kid will pounce

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Connor plays a hard style,im getting he may get injuries and this kid will pounce
His time will come, but whilst we are winning and this team is healthy I can't see it.

He needs to be blooded though, that combination with Burton needs to start at some point.