JMK

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Special mention to JMK. He made a huge difference today and was a huge upgrade over Katoa. I and plenty of others have been critical of JMK over the years, but credit where credit is due.

JMK's defence has always been solid, his effort is generally strong and he has great pace for a dummy half but his decision making and poor service are his biggest flaws.

Ideally we still get a long overdue upgrade at hooker but if JMK keeps playing like he did today, maybe he should be re-signed at as a backup/bench option.

Do you guys think this is a sign of things to come and he should be re-signed or a good game against an average team and we should still move on from him?

ElMagic92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great game today. Let’s hope he backs it up.
Great defence, nice to see him make a couple of runs out of dummy half, and of course his try.

A few nervy moments when he chose to pass down the blind side on the last for the kick, instead of the open side. But overall, a great show

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I sometimes don’t get all the hate he gets, he’s been a makeshift 9 since his inception to the team and I think he’s done a generally good job. He was honestly outstanding today for mine. Controlled the middle very well and ram when he needed it to. Couldn’t have asked for a better response from him since coming back from injury.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was great but it’s about doing it consistently now. We have been stung way too many times handing out deals on a few good games.
That's my biggest fear. Players like Elliott step up in contract years and fool fans and the club with a few strong games and go back to their inconsistent and frustrating form once they've been handed a new three year deal.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He was great today, be good to see him behind a good pack

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
14 if he can play consistent until the end of the season and A one year deal because we know what happens when it’s anything more then that

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's my biggest fear. Players like Elliott step up in contract years and fool fans and the club with a few strong games and go back to their inconsistent and frustrating form once they've been handed a new three year deal.
I think there's a vast difference between idiot and jmk.

Jmk hasn't really had a coach who can teach him the game at hooker and making decisions.

I would like to see how he goes being taught how to make decisions (assuming all this hoopla about Barrett's coaching ability is true)

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was great but it’s about doing it consistently now. We have been stung way too many times handing out deals on a few good games.
Yep Elliot, lichaa and Lewis come to mind.... JMK has the right attributes to be a great 9.. but he has a lot more average games than great games.. I do believe his agility will be suited to this version of NRL, if he keeps running from d/h

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think there's a vast difference between idiot and jmk.

Jmk hasn't really had a coach who can teach him the game at hooker and making decisions.

I would like to see how he goes being taught how to make decisions (assuming all this hoopla about Barrett's coaching ability is true)
I still believe it's hard to teach players awareness and vision in any sport as you generally naturally have that or you don't.. But as you said, it's not his natural position. Even Cook makes several horrible decisions a game and has poor service.

I'd still like to see JMK do this consistently before re-signing him but if he can, then a short term cheapish deal as a backup would work for both parties.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a regular critic of JMK.
His running was a massive step up today on prior performances & his defence has been solid for quite a while. However there still were a number of occasions that he delivered the ball behind runners which slowed or stopped the momentum of the tackle or set. This needs to be an area of focus.
I also don't recall many or any incidents of him kicking from dummy half in any match I've seen him play. He needs to work on this & add it to his game. He doesn't need to develop into the teams primary kicker, however the threat of him possibly kicking will assist the other kickers on the team.
Anyway, great 1st game back & am happy to admit that he had a much more significant impact than I expected he would.
Now he needs to string more of these performances together & continue to evolve as a player. Great to get another win!

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most have said he needs to back it up, over the last few years we have seen sparks of what appears untapped potential but it few and far between.

Was hopeful this year under new coaching system he would turn that into something more but has had limited opportunities because of injuries.

Over the next month or so if he shows some consistency and show that his decision making has improved. I would be happy for him to be retained as a backup DH.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I still believe it's hard to teach players awareness and vision in any sport as you generally naturally have that or you don't.. But as you said, it's not his natural position. Even Cook makes several horrible decisions a game and has poor service.

I'd still like to see JMK do this consistently before re-signing him but if he can, then a short term cheapish deal as a backup would work for both parties.
Not all the time. I'd consider awareness and vision to be capable of being built from experience. It is also recognising patterns/phases of play, so then the decision is made for you and its not really a decision. It's just a recognition of a phase/pattern.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not all the time. I'd consider awareness and vision to be capable of being built from experience. It is also recognising patterns/phases of play, so then the decision is made for you and its not really a decision. It's just a recognition of a phase/pattern.
We'll see.. People said the same about Flanagan but he goes into panic mode the minute the defence is in his face. Some players struggle to compute information and see the whole field when under pressure.

Hopefully JMK can get better with that with more experience but we'll have the last 10 plus games to see whether he's improved or not.

Thankfully JMK has the pace and athleticism to make up for a lack of vision.
If he ran it consistently like he did today, then it wouldn't be such an issue like it isn't with Cook who still has his flaws but is a constant threat to run it.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We'll see.. People said the same about Flanagan but he goes into panic mode the minute the defence is in his face. Some players struggle to compute information and see the whole field when under pressure.

Hopefully JMK can get better with that with more experience but we'll have the last 10 plus games to see whether he's improved or not.
Oh yeh, look you have to have the basics/traces of being able to read the game. If you can't, you've got no chance of picking it up. I'd agree with that.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He was pretty solid tonight.
I'd have no issue with the club giving him another 12 months if this performance was his baseline. Give him a few weeks to see if he can consistently apply that solid if not spectacular level of play.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He Made a huge difference, I know it’s only 1 game, but with a showing like that, a coach like TBAZ and some quality around him, he has massive potential, loved him from the start and still do, just needed to see some confidence, and that win will build that in spades.!!!!