Jeremy Marshall King

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At least the 9 won’t be passing the ball to Tolman on the 4th

Or after we made a rare break up field and need a long shift but instead give to Tolman to hit it up and let the scrambling defensive line reset [emoji23][emoji23]‍♂‍♂‍♂

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK started out miles ahead of Lichaa in the 9. I'm not sure that Pay offered great guidance into a new position either. So it will be interesting to see if Barrett can help him improve. I honestly think our structure has been poor with forwards in particular wanting to play somewhere between the centre and wing which restricts the halves and outside backs space. And that's probably meant that JMK and Katoa haven't always known where a half is when a quick pass to them would be beneficial.

At any rate, I'm going to give every player in the spine a fresh slate to prove themselves. We might see them operate at a higher level if the structure and plans in place are better.

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score
JMK started out miles ahead of Lichaa in the 9. I'm not sure that Pay offered great guidance into a new position either. So it will be interesting to see if Barrett can help him improve. I honestly think our structure has been poor with forwards in particular wanting to play somewhere between the centre and wing which restricts the halves and outside backs space. And that's probably meant that JMK and Katoa haven't always known where a half is when a quick pass to them would be beneficial.

At any rate, I'm going to give every player in the spine a fresh slate to prove themselves. We might see them operate at a higher level if the structure and plans in place are better.
Giving everyone a clean slate is the only way to look at it.

Everyone complains how abysmally disgusting our attack was under Pay/Georgallis regime and then as soon we get an attack minded coach they won’t give JMK a go, who has shown glimpses of good attacking ability.

Absolutely last chance for Marshall King. If he doesn’t improve significantly this season (I think he will) then he goes, no complaints from me. But he deserves the chance and has a go every week. A lot more than can be said for teams struggling worse than we are.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All of our players over the years have been let down in one way or another. Ennis one of the best dummy halves in the game did not see eye to eye with Hasler, we all know how that ended up....Hasler punted him and Ennis went on to win a title with Cronulla. Hasler then brings in one of the games up rising talents in Michael Lichaa and basically turns him into a speed hump. A robotic version of himself.....coming up through the grades Lichaa was an attacking player who trusted his instincts, Hasler turned that all around and Michael became nothing more than a speed hump, a tackling machine, destroying Michael confidence in his own game in the process. By the time Pay came on board the damage had already been done Michael was stuck in the holding pattern Hasler had taught him. It didn't help that Pay as the incoming coach had no fucking idea and was basically coaching out of the idiots guide to coaching manual.

I have used Lichaa as an example because as a kid he had all the tools to become a great dummy half but was sorely let down by the coaches and coaching staff that he relied upon. He is just one player of many in recent times at the dogs to be let down through bad coaching and old out of date ideals and structures.

Everyone is excited for 2021 and onwards....we have a young forward thinking coach in Trent Barrett, who has surrounded himself with a strong and capable team of assistants all professionals in their own fields with varying characteristics and ideas. And our recruitment has been second to none.
As a fan I am motivated, I am excited....I can only imagine how the players must be feeling. I'm also excited for players like JMK, because if my theory is correct re bad coaching and old ideals, players like Jeremey Marshal king, players that the Kennel have already put a line through the names of will shine. Everything so far this off season points to a major improvement in our teams attitude, which will translate into a more consistent performance as a team and individually. Which should translate and lead to more wins than loses "fingers crossed" and our board finally seems to be coherent and working towards the same goal.

Last edited:

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score
All of our players over the years have been let in one way or another. Ennis one of the best dummy halves in the game did not see eye to eye with Hasler, we all know how that ended up....Hasler punted him and Ennis went on to win a title with Cronulla. Hasler then brings in one of the games up rising talents in Michael Lichaa and basically turns him into a speed hump. A robotic version of himself.....coming up through the grades Lichaa was an attacking player who trusted his instincts, Hasler turned that all around and Michael became nothing more than a speed hump, a tackling machine. By the time Pay came on board the damage had already been done Michael was stuck in the holding pattern Hasler had taught him. It didn't help that Pay as the incoming coach had no fucking idea and was basically coaching out of the idiots guide to coaching manual.

I have used Lichaa as an example because as a kid he had all the tools to become a great dummy half but was sorely let down by the coaches and coaching staff that he relied upon. He is just one player of many in recent times at the dogs to be let down through bad coaching and old out of date ideals and structures.

Everyone is excited for 2021 and onwards....we have a young forward thinking coach in Trent Barrett, who has surrounded himself with a strong and capable team of assistance all professionals in their own fields with varying characteristics and ideas. And our recruitment has been second to none.
As a fan I am motivated, I am excited....I can only imagine how the players must be feeling. I'm also excited for players like JMK, because if my theory is correct re bad coaching and old ideals, players like Jeremey Marshal king, players that the Kennel have already put a line through the names of will shine. Everything so far this off season points to a major improvement in our teams attitude, which will translate into a more consistent performance as a team and individually. Which should translate and lead to more wins than loses "fingers crossed" and our board finally seems to be coherent and working towards the same goal.
You’re a legend. Well written.

JMK in for a big big year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All of our players over the years have been let down in one way or another. Ennis one of the best dummy halves in the game did not see eye to eye with Hasler, we all know how that ended up....Hasler punted him and Ennis went on to win a title with Cronulla. Hasler then brings in one of the games up rising talents in Michael Lichaa and basically turns him into a speed hump. A robotic version of himself.....coming up through the grades Lichaa was an attacking player who trusted his instincts, Hasler turned that all around and Michael became nothing more than a speed hump, a tackling machine, destroying Michael confidence in his own game in the process. By the time Pay came on board the damage had already been done Michael was stuck in the holding pattern Hasler had taught him. It didn't help that Pay as the incoming coach had no fucking idea and was basically coaching out of the idiots guide to coaching manual.

Everyone is excited for 2021 and onwards....we have a young forward thinking coach in Trent Barrett, who has surrounded himself with a strong and capable team of assistance all professionals in their own fields with varying characteristics and ideas. And our recruitment has been second to none.
The big issue I had with Lichaa was his passing. Given that it was the basis of the skillset required for his position, he should have been far better at it. He had little sense of timing and given that he frequently handed a short ball to whoever was closest to him, I suspect that he generally didn't know where the creative players were on key plays.

I don't think the coaching staff can take the entirety of the blame. JMK performed better from his first game at 9 than a guy who had played there from an early age.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The big issue I had with Lichaa was his passing. Given that it was the basis of the skillset required for his position, he should have been far better at it. He had little sense of timing and given that he frequently handed a short ball to whoever was closest to him, I suspect that he generally didn't know where the creative players were on key plays.

I don't think the coaching staff can take the entirety of the blame. JMK performed better from his first game at 9 than a guy who had played there from an early age.
Allan I'm not defending Lichaa I merely used him as an example.....he was a confidence player that was stuck in a rut caused by inadequate coaching and a lack of moral support. It's like quick sand with every mistake a player makes they feel like they are sinking deeper and deeper and the more they try to rectify their mistakes the deeper they sink. Confidence is a hell of a thing to lose with the game on the line. Any good coach would know that and at least address it at the appropriate time. But that's my opinion what do I know..,..very little :grinning:

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK unfortunately has to start cause Katoa is worse - far worse. I don't have any high hopes for Wakeham in the role. Dummy half is still our biggest problem, along with none of our centres actually being centres. Still expecting a much better year though with even average players like JMK improving under Baz.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
JMK has WAY too many deficiencies in his game, I'd be shocked if he's anything more than below average.
JMK has such a low ceiling with talent and skills that even the best coaching can only do so much. The best thing JMK can do is just keep things simple and give the ball to the right players at the right time.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke to a board member only a few days ago, to my question regarding the club chasing a genuine no 9 for 2021, his reply was that they would be running with JMK @ Katoa for 2021
It would be great for the club to sign a good No. 9, but who's available, the few that could win you a premiership are well and truly tied up.
I just hope that the club is genuinely trying to develop one. it might be the only way we will ever be able to get a really good No.9.
As for 2021 I believe that our best option would be to play Katoa or some one else for 50-60 minutes, then bring on JMK for the last 20-30 when the opposition are tiring. I just can't se us having the luxury of only having one No.9 in the team.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Surely not, Bindi cant tackle.
But he's fast and creative... Cogger apparently couldn't tackle but remember his extremely good tackle percentage that game. Players can be protected in the middle

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
^^ agree, probably will never be a star but surely Baz can improve him and Katoa too although idk about him? We need one of them to be of standard with likely no other options evident so i'm sure there is a fair amount of focus on those guys.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Giving everyone a clean slate is the only way to look at it.

Everyone complains how abysmally disgusting our attack was under Pay/Georgallis regime and then as soon we get an attack minded coach they won’t give JMK a go, who has shown glimpses of good attacking ability.

Absolutely last chance for Marshall King. If he doesn’t improve significantly this season (I think he will) then he goes, no complaints from me. But he deserves the chance and has a go every week. A lot more than can be said for teams struggling worse than we are.
So In saying that Lewis deserves another year in first grade?

mountain_dog

Waterboy
Reaction score

Everyone is excited for 2021 and onwards....we have a young forward thinking coach in Trent Barrett, who has surrounded himself with a strong and capable team of assistants all professionals in their own fields with varying characteristics and ideas. And our recruitment has been second to none.
This is one of the best arguments I've seen here. Logical and well constructed, without emotive statements. It also perfectly reflects my opinions. Best of all, it helps make me more positive regarding the upcoming season.