Official Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera statement

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury back-rower Corey Harawira-Naera could be available for Dean Pay's beleaguered squad as early as next week after he and Jayden Okunbor had their contracts reinstated by the NRL.

The two Bulldogs players had their registrations cancelled by the governing body on April 1 over their involvement in a pre-season incident involving schoolgirls they had met during a clinic at a local high school in Port Macquarie.

The NRL Appeals Committee revised the pair's sanctions on Monday, allowing both players to resume their playing commitments at Belmore once their revised suspensions have been served.

Harawira-Naera has served all but one game of his 10-match suspension, which also included a $15,000 fine for New Zealand Test back-rower's "serious breach of the league's code of conduct".

As a result, he will potentially be available for selection for round 11 when the Bulldogs play Newcastle, pending the NRL's biosecurity advice and whether Canterbury add him to the club's 50-person bubble.

Okunbor still has a month to serve on a 14-game ban, with his punishment also including a $22,500 fine and a course of counselling or community service.

The towering winger would be available for round 15 at the earliest.

NRL acting CEO Andrew Abdo expressed his disappointment at the reduced punishments, while the Bulldogs are now "working with the NRL to determine how this process will be implemented" in regards to bringing Harawira-Naera and Okunbor back to the club.

"The NRL took the action which it considered necessary given the serious breaches of the Code of Conduct – breaches the Appeals Committee also found to be serious," Abdo said.

"The independent appeals committee has taken a different view on what penalty the players should face and although we are disappointed, we respect the outcome."

There Still REGISTERED to the Dogs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Internet explorer?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would you want to come back to the club that turned its back on you?

There's every chance there's been communication made to the players behind closed doors from the club, but from the outside looking in they left them hanging.
I actually don't think thats how it played out. The NRL deregistered them, and then the club had no choice but to follow suit. From memory senior club members like jacko and Tolman were adamantly in public support of them both and voiced concerns for their well being. This would not have happened without the clubs blessings, so one would assume that the club shared the same sentiment and has likely kept an open dialogue of support with them both. So yeah, I think they will be happy to come back. And they should. We need some good news, and some good players even more so.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can see them sacking Okunbor. But keeping CHN. I’d be happy with that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Imagine if he joins the roosters any slither of integrity the game has will be gone.
It wouldn't make much sense with Cordner, Crichton (in form) and Aubusson there. Also Tupouniua and Butcher.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Main reason I don’t want knockonbur back other than he has feet for hands is that with him back reimis smiths time at centre will continue
We have 44 wingers and not 1 centre of fg note at the club
Send knockonbur to another club for a centre
I disagree. He was actually coming good, and I had tipped him for big things this year. Send reimis to another club instead.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Welcome back chn and okunbor
I was never keen on okunbor but he’s a player you can work with I guess

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ignore it. Play it down.
You'll be surprised what goes away if you I don't bring attention to it.

Dramatising something inflates it into an issue. Even positive 'steps' helps turn it into a circus.

This was advice given to me by some pretty colourful characters in the hood growing up and it works more often than not. I notice Trumps some this successfully too in politics.
That works for the Bunnies, not the Dogs

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think Crighton on the wing and I will buy a box of chocolates for Okenbur with a card that says "soz mate" and kick crighton to the curb.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How exactly is this the clubs fault when the NRL deregistered the players? I really want to know what people like you think the club could have even done in this situation. They had no power here.
CHN is cheering, got a sick root, nice holiday and now he joins the reigning Premiers :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Probably why the Club should have foreseen how this NRL de-registration would play out and held the line, gave some tacit support until their appeals were held and not publicly withdrawn contracts until it was all clarified and fully dealt with.

Worse misdemeanours than theirs and no de-registering. A farce punishment that was never going to stick.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Knowing our joke of a club and it's shit management, not getting excited about CHN returning.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting. There’s our Top 30 sorted then and likely puts rest to the rumours about Lafai. Interesting also that the NRL, even post Greenberg felt it necessary to say they’re ‘disappointed’ but ‘accept’ the appeal decision. Will await a statement from the Bulldogs for clarity.
Common DinkumDog we have to be patient...
They could be too busy on a harbour cruise :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm still not getting my hopes up, don't trust that CHN will be back but if so he would be a MASSIVE in. With CHN we can potentially shuffle out pack around for the better while we get a genuine strike backrower back.

8. To'omaga
10. Thompson
11. RFM
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. Napa
15. Sue
16. Tolman

Finally shift Jackson to the middle and have RFM out on the right on his more natural side. Give RFM the rest of the season on the edge and if he doesn't impress enough then shift him back to the middle next season. Napa bench because fuck the ****, Tolman the same. Fuck

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can see the following making a play for him
- eels
- knights
- raiders
- tigers
- dragons
I agree with that besides the Eels they already have two top second rowers in Lane and Matterson. A few question marks on the both second rowers at the other teams tho.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
So this is why Bateman didn't come. I think our back row is fine now. Priority for 2021 now goes like this: fullback, centre, front-rower, half.

This should be the team:
  1. Hoppa (Injured) - Meany
  2. Meany - Smith
  3. Averillo
  4. Dwz
  5. Okunbour
  6. Foran
  7. Wakeham
  8. Tolman
  9. JMK
  10. Thompson
  11. Jackson
  12. CHN
  13. Elliott (Injured) - Toomonga
  14. Katoa
  15. Toomonga - C Smith
  16. RFM
  17. Ogden
Yo ass happy with JMK at rake? Genuinely curious

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Step 1 - Go to the players who have been doing the right thing and chat with them, they are the ones who need to decide to welcome these two back. If they say yes, that is enough, get on with it.
Step 2 - Have the players create their own code of conduct, as a team, which has defined punishments for defined misdemeanors, which all the players agree to.

This whole thing has been a mess, but the mess started with the two players. They have a lot of work ahead of them if they are going to win back trust, most importantly the trust of their own families. They can go a long way to doing that by fronting up to the team and apologising (I'm assuming they haven't already done this, hopefully they would have).
Great post mate!!! While most people here are suggesting the club hung them out to dry and didn't have their backs, and one even suggesting that we should up their salaries to cover the costs of their fines, its actually the opposite!! As you have suggested, it is them that owes our club a debt. They are the ones that fucked up, not the club or board. Lets not forget that because of their actions we lost a major sponsor.
So if the rest of the team are happy to welcome them back, and the club decides to take them back, then they owe it to the club and their team mates, to come back bigger and better then before and make up for lost time, and make amends for their indiscretions. And if we do decide that we want them back at our club, and they still decide to go elsewhere, then I will incredibly disappointed!!!