Jarryd Hayne is Darren Lockyer, Benji Marshall and Greg Inglis in one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
not equal with slater, Lockyer was never this good as a fullback.

Lockyer could never do the freakish **** that Slater can do, however Lockyer was more reliable in the fact he wouldnt have a blunder every now and then, Slater is prone to that once in a blue moon

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
not equal with slater, Lockyer was never this good as a fullback.

Lockyer could never do the freakish **** that Slater can do, however Lockyer was more reliable in the fact he wouldnt have a blunder every now and then, Slater is prone to that once in a blue moon
Really? I think Slater was never as good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAQb9_BrPko and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ccVdVMMdU I know people have short memories so that should refresh it ;)

Just look at Lockyers passing and kicking game and how many tries he lays on for others as a fullback, Slater isn't anywhere near as good in that department(kicking wise is non-existent) and the running trys, freakish plays, splitting the defence open and pulling off amazing tackles and freakish passes to set up tries are just as good and in some parts far better than anything Slater has done and this was at a time where the two origin teams were at similar levels unlike now where QLD is well and truly ahead.

Slater was dumped in 2005 didn't return to origin till 2008 in which he played half games coming off the bench during the series switching with Hunt. It wasn't until last year, where Slater has been starting fullback however Lockyer from his debut carried the no.1 jersey uncontested for 6 years until he moved to 5/8. At the same stages in their careers(X years at fullback) Lockyer had in his first 6 origin series won the Player of the series award twice, Slater got his first this year 7 years after his origin debut.

I'm sorry I just can't see how anyone can confidently claim that Lockyer was never as good as Slater. I can agree that Slater has been as good as Lockyer but only really since last year where as Lockyer was as good as Slater was now during his entire time at fullback at all levels and has always been automatic selection which Slater hasn't been till 2 years ago. He also always had a kicking game and passing game far ahead of Slater(and pretty much any fullback before or since) and it's arguable that Slater had a better running game, defensive game or support game than that of Lockyer.

So I still stand by what I said and I still believe Lockyer is the better fullback. If Slater can do what he has done this year and before it for at least another 2-3 years then it would be hard to argue either way who the better play was but if Slater retired or changed position right now Lockyer IMO undoubtedly goes down as the better fullback to play the game. If a team was selected to be the best ever Lockyer would be at fullback, Slater would be at wing.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
I remember watching Lockyer back in 98 and 99. He was at a different level than everyone else and could stop and turn without losing any pace at all. It seemed he was gliding across the ground....... He was one of the Graetest fullbacks of all time in my opinion. He has a better temperament than Slater and has a better kicking and passing game...

As for the artricle by Gordon Tallis. He vever said he was batter than those players just that he had the attributes of each.......

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By great teams I mean GREAT, seriously Melbourne have lost what, 15, 20 games in the past 5 years, 4 straight GF's(would be 5) and QLD has been all over NSW in that time as well and it's the last 3-4 years where Slater has reached elite status, he wasn't rated much before then.

Lockyer has played in great teams but he's also shined in **** teams, we've yet to see Slater at his best(last say 4 years) in a team anything less than great. Every team Slater has played with in the past 5 years has been a team that is well and truly above the competition by a mile. Broncos have had great teams but Melbourne are by far the best team of the past decade and certainly the last 5 years(illegally). That's not to take anything away from Slater or what he has achieved he may even better in an average team but it is a point to consider. Also up until this year Slater was being interchanged during the game with Hunt where as Lockyer was guaranteed for the full 80 pretty much every game he played at all levels.

For me It's Lockyer, Slater as clear stand outs then who ever else. Hayne isn't even close to the great fullback list yet and not even on the stratosphere yet as an overall player. Slater has been playing world class levels every week for 3-4 years. I can't even remember the last time he played a bad game where as I couldn't count how many times Hayne has been **** this year alone. It's sad that wankstain Hayne gets all the hype when Slater has been and still is by far the better player.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on the Slater/Lockyer argument by the looks of it because for mine he is the best fullback probably ever, or at the very least equal with Slater.
Again nothing against Lockyer...but are you sh!tting me?

Apart from recent years (Where Lockyer's position has been superseded by other players), the Broncos have ALWAYS had a team that is either on par or BETTER than the Storm team, you guys haven't missed the finals in like what 10+ years? You won in 2000, 2006 and are in general always in line for the minor premiership before your post Origin 3 slump...It wasn't until the end of 2006 that it started changing.

Don't get me wrong, Lockyer at his prime was unbelievable at fullback, but to suggest that Slater hasn't proven himself in average teams? When he was first selected for Origin, the Storm weren't even close to being the benchmark of the competition.

It's far fairer to say that at fullback Lockyer proved himself in much stronger teams than Slater did at the Storm.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Billy slater is #1. Hayne is brilliant at times but Slaters brilliant week in week out.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Without a doubt.
Slater is the best fullback in the game, period.

Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. He's been at world class level for a good 3 years now, I can't remember him having a bad game tbh, he is always so good in every game and this year he's as safe as a house in defence.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Jarryd Hayne---- train=Derailed
Plane=Lost in bermuda triangle

its now known as the Hayne Drain=thats where the seasons headed!

superstar123

Waterboy
Reaction score
Jarryd Hayne---- train=Derailed
Plane=Lost in bermuda triangle

its now known as the Hayne Drain=thats where the seasons headed!
LOL@ the hipocrisy.

Alright if they were going **** and dogs were going well BUT THEY'RE BOTH GOING **** so really the hayne train and idris express were both derailed.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Well the Broncos are going alright so I'll say it.

The Hayne **** stain of a plain that Tallis is "on board for with a ticket in hand" has collapsed like a heap of ****.
He isn't a pimple on Lockyer's ass and Inglis is better any day and would demolish Hayne if he went to fullback.

"He can kick the ball as long as Darren Lockyer, has the footwork of Benji Marshall and the physical presence of Greg Inglis."
I reckon a third grade duds could kick it as long as Lockyer, big ****ing deal. Cool he's fast and can step, we already knew that. Physical presence of Inglis OH WOW, a few of my cousins have the physical presence of Inglis again big ****ing deal.

I respect Tallis as a player because he was a machine and one of the best but damn he speaks some absolute **** sometimes, Dailey minus the big nose and annoying mouth movements.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
...except Hayne only plays 8 games a season.

He's done f*** all this year. All of a sudden two decent games *jizz* Hayne this, Hayne that
I'm sick of this utter crap that people put on hayne, like the above... If he traded places with Billy Slater, lets see how Slater would go trying to ignite a team all by himself. Unlike Slater, Lockyer, INglis and co, Hayne does not have the calibre of players around him that these guys have. Hell, Parra don't have any experience in the halves and anything Parra do must be off the back of Hayne. No other superstar in the comp has that much pressure on him to perform every week. Put Hayne in the storm or the broncos and he would be devastating every week.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without a doubt.
Slater is the best fullback in the game, period.

Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. He's been at world class level for a good 3 years now, I can't remember him having a bad game tbh, he is always so good in every game and this year he's as safe as a house in defence.
Lets see how he would go if he played at Parra and Hayne was at Melbourne... Slater's got Cronk and Smith and Inglis.... Hayne has to do it mostly by himself. Slater would crumble under that sort of pressure.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Billy slater is #1. Hayne is brilliant at times but Slaters brilliant week in week out.
That's complet BS. Hayne rarely has a bad game, but pple expecti him to be scoring 3 tries every game. Slater has got Smith, Cronk and INglis to work with, and he still doesn't perform with the sort of quality hayne showed against us every week. In fact take this week's game against Melbourne. Where was Slater? Yet nobody ever has a go at him when he doesn't turn up. Two-faced imbos!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You have to feel sorry for Hayne. He is playing with easily the worst backline in the comp and has to basically do the job of 1, 6 and 7. There 9 sucks aswell.

if they lose, its all his fault despite nohopers like Mortimer and Robson in the halves.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
That's a big call from Gordy. Was surprised to see him pick out the queenslanders like that.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
That's complet BS. Hayne rarely has a bad game, but pple expecti him to be scoring 3 tries every game. Slater has got Smith, Cronk and INglis to work with, and he still doesn't perform with the sort of quality hayne showed against us every week. In fact take this week's game against Melbourne. Where was Slater? Yet nobody ever has a go at him when he doesn't turn up. Two-faced imbos!
Oh please. Slater is easily the best fullback in the game since Lockyer went to 5/8, there is no argument in that regard. He is CLEARLY above Hayne.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh please. Slater is easily the best fullback in the game since Lockyer went to 5/8, there is no argument in that regard. He is CLEARLY above Hayne.
Ignore Simmmo. He clearly has a hard on for a certain group of players......

A blind man can see that Slater is the best Fullback in the NRL, hands down.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ignore Simmmo. He clearly has a hard on for a certain group of players......

A blind man can see that Slater is the best Fullback in the NRL, hands down.
Look Slater is a great player. But he does have the advantage of playing in a much better (cheating) team. who does parra have that can match cronk, smith, inglis? Hayne is in a class of his own at parra. And I would seriously doubt that Slater could do any better than Hayne given the same players around him. Look also at Origin level, where he gets to play with Thurston, Lockyer plus the all his melbourne team mates. They dominate. Slater is part of the reason why Melb and Qld are so great, but put him in NSW and put Hayne in Qld, then lets see how he goes. There's no way he could have ignited a team (by himself) the way hayne did. He doesn't have half the pressure on him that Hayne does. To ignore that and to just bash hayne whenever he plays a normal (NOT bad) game is simply disingenous.

Status
Not open for further replies.