James Graham's head-on defence gets green light

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
[h=1]Canterbury Bulldogs prop James Graham's head-on defence gets green light[/h]

Hard, but fair: Former referee Bill Harrigan says there's nothing wrong with James Graham's tackling technique.

Former NRL referee Bill Harrigan, who officiated at a record 10 NRL grand finals, said there was nothing wrong with Canterbury enforcer James Graham's tackling technique after suggestions were made that he used his head as a weapon in Sunday's grand final.

Graham was involved in two head clashes, the first with Souths forward – and the eventual man of the match – Sam Burgess, and later David Tyrrell, who was carted from the field after a sickening collision. Social media was alight with suggestions the English international intentionally used his head to iron out his opponents but Harrigan, and others including former international and Bronco prop Shane Webcke, dismissed the claims as way off the mark.

"I didn't think there were any dramas," said Harrigan. "I wouldn't have been taking him aside for a chat. With that first hit on Burgess, both players were upright and it was a straight-out head clash. I wouldn't be reading anything into those suggestions at all ... I think it is someone trying to make something out of nothing."

Harrigan said other players had been accused of the same thing over the years but he added the dangers that would be involved in any player using his head as a weapon made it suicidal. "Some people said the same thing about Nate Myles a few years ago, that he was leading with his head all the time," said Harrigan. "But gee, you'd be a game man to lead with your head [to make a tackle] considering the damage you could do yourself. If a player plays within the rules there's no reason for anyone to have a whinge and last night was fine."

Webcke also defended Graham from what he dismissed as ludicrous allegations. "I have a wrap on him but I don't think there's been a player with a harder head," he said. "That head of his inflicted some damage and I know there's some suggestion there was a bit of intention but I think that's a dangerous road to go down. If you start leading with your head ... if [a player] wanted to do what they're suggesting ... you have to lose your line of sight when you go into tackles and that's when blokes really, really hurt themselves badly.

"The human body, it won't do that. You can't say 'righto, I'll lead with my head' every time you make a tackle. I think a lot of [Graham's game] is because he's fearless. He just goes hard, that's how classic tackles are made. He seems to me to be a real competitor and a player with a deep respect for the game – I just can't see that being his go to apply that tactic. I think he's incredibly tough, I love his passion. He's a very curious mix, he plays like a wrecking ball, but he's a very intelligent player in terms of what he does with the ball, how he sets other players up. He's like Burgess and a bit of a rare gem, too."

Bulldog Bruce

Bring on Rnd 1
Reaction score
Fuking hell there are some idiots out there...he's just seen first hand the way Tim Browne suffered through a fractured skull...so why would he intentionally attack with his head???

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
No malice at all just hits upright with a slight forward lean. The rest is collision in which the hardest head wins. As if that was a tactical thing it would be amazing to see him head ram two blokes every game leaving them senseless and broken. His head is so hard he doesn't even flinch or feel it

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuking hell there are some idiots out there...he's just seen first hand the way Tim Browne suffered through a fractured skull...so why would he intentionally attack with his head???
Yeah agree 100% with you and Webcke. You would have to be a moron to tackle with your head. Regardless of how hard your head is it just has to get you in the wrong spot and you will wake up in the locker rooms.

ninja_h

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was filthy when the whole stadium booed at him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All class from the burgess boys who continually defend graham whenever a bad word is said about him

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. I had some toothless souths lady call him dirty. She was wearing an Isaac Luke jersey??? Obviously knows nothing about footy!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Even Nate Myles isn't stupid enough to attack with his head. He tackles opponents then uses his head to hold them down, although that could be Myles struggling to lift his head.

People seem to overreact 'cause Graham smiled after the hit when the camera was on him. He was smiling 'cause he flattened a player and the crowd cheered. It's good to see at least one article came out saying that he wasn't at fault.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
SOuths fans= no class.

Sore winners!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
When bodies collide the head moves around a bit as a result of the impact. There is no guarantee that leading with your head won't result in damage to yourself, so nobody would be that stupid.

What was stupid was that the Souths doctors said it was OK for a player go out into a brutal game with a fractured cheekbone. Don't they fine clubs for not following the concussion rules? What would have happened if Burgess had suffered a career ending knock?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know that Souths player got knocked out but they ****ing took for ever to get him off, we were ready to attack with momentum but that was taking away with giving Souths a huge breather ffs

The way that ****ing cart drove off it took the long way to buy more time sigh

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the legends state that his head is made of molten rock... he destroyed 2 men with his skull! and then, the crazy cyborg has a smirk when 50k bunnies are baying for his blood..

Graham is a hero, i missed what Hayne spoke to him about after the tackle, but surely he didn't warn him?

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Grahams smile after the tackle... best moment of the whole season. I really really really wanted to see him give the thumbs up with that smile!

Status
Not open for further replies.