James Graham confirms retirement at seasons end

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
James Graham confirms he will retire at end of season

28th October 2020 Drew Darbyshire Super League
St Helens prop James Graham has confirmed he will retire at the end of the current Super League season.

The 35-year-old has made more than 400 club appearances for St Helens, Canterbury Bulldogs and St George Illawarra Dragons. He has earned 53 caps for Great Britain and England.

Graham re-joined Saints on a one-year deal earlier this season and as the 2020 season reaches its conclusion, Graham has confirmed this season will be his last.

He said: “Playing for St Helens and over in the NRL has been an absolute honour. I am gutted this season will be my final one as a player, but I came to Saints saying I would have one last all in push for this season and nothing has changed there.

“Finishing my career at my boyhood club was an opportunity that I couldn’t resist. Unfortunately, I am gutted we have not been able to play in front of our fans as I know they feel every pass, every tackle and every run. I have even missed the opposition fans who would give me a piece of their mind!

“I have had so many fantastic memories throughout my career here at Saints, in the NRL and on the international stage representing my country. It has all been a huge honour. I would like to thank all my family and friends who have supported me throughout my career and all the people involved from community clubs Thatto Heath and Blackbrook to people in the St Helens academy as well as everybody involved at Canterbury Bulldogs and St George Illawarra Dragons.

“Now that all has been said, the season has not finished yet and my intention now is completing the job I came here to do with St Helens. We are going to take things a game at a time, moment by moment and give ourselves the best possible opportunity to finish the job.”

- ALL the best James, great career both in the SL and NRL, just wished we could have won a grand final for him ... good luck with your new path in life matey and thanks for all the memories you gave to us Rugby League tragics ...

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
James Graham confirms he will retire at end of season

28th October 2020 Drew Darbyshire Super League

St Helens prop James Graham has confirmed he will retire at the end of the current Super League season.

The 35-year-old has made more than 400 club appearances for St Helens, Canterbury Bulldogs and St George Illawarra Dragons. He has earned 53 caps for Great Britain and England.

Graham re-joined Saints on a one-year deal earlier this season and as the 2020 season reaches its conclusion, Graham has confirmed this season will be his last.

He said: “Playing for St Helens and over in the NRL has been an absolute honour. I am gutted this season will be my final one as a player, but I came to Saints saying I would have one last all in push for this season and nothing has changed there.

“Finishing my career at my boyhood club was an opportunity that I couldn’t resist. Unfortunately, I am gutted we have not been able to play in front of our fans as I know they feel every pass, every tackle and every run. I have even missed the opposition fans who would give me a piece of their mind!

“I have had so many fantastic memories throughout my career here at Saints, in the NRL and on the international stage representing my country. It has all been a huge honour. I would like to thank all my family and friends who have supported me throughout my career and all the people involved from community clubs Thatto Heath and Blackbrook to people in the St Helens academy as well as everybody involved at Canterbury Bulldogs and St George Illawarra Dragons.

“Now that all has been said, the season has not finished yet and my intention now is completing the job I came here to do with St Helens. We are going to take things a game at a time, moment by moment and give ourselves the best possible opportunity to finish the job.”

- ALL the best James, great career both in the SL and NRL, just wished we could have won a grand final for him ... good luck with your new path in life matey and thanks for all the memories you gave to us Rugby League tragics ...
Great player and better guy on and off the field, and great career and yes wished we could have won a title for him but it had such bad lucks losing in so many! Best highlight for me was when he put on the vaseline to put of players haha best ever and also top of the list was when he did a Evander Holyfield on Slaters ear only upside was he didn't take it off!!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The man doesn't get the respect he deserves. Played so many first grade games and has put his body on the line and copped knocks to the head so many times and still battled on. One of the all time greats

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a great career Graham has had. It's rare props play as many games as he has. He's a true club legend who is one of the best forwards of the last 20 years in my opinion and he's the best competitor I've ever seen.

He didn't have the luck with premierships with St.Helens or us that he deserved, but he had an amazing career nonetheless... I hope he can come back to the club in some capacity soon as he has so much to offer in his post footy career. Inspirational leaders like him are hard to find.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
One of my favourite Bulldogs of all time & imo the best English player to ever play the game. Tough as nails but also a gentleman off the field. What an honour it was to watch him play for Canterbury. Absolute shame we didn’t get him a premiership. Thanks for everything Jamma!!