Jake of no trades?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I will give him that, at least in the halves his defence is a lot better, put him back to centre and trying to read where it’s going was his downfall previously
Our defence is shambles in general. Our contact is bad across the park, our middles aren't dominant enough, we don't work as a unit, etc. He will never be a strong defender but if we sort a lot of the other issues out then it won't be a major issue.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was promoted too early because we're fucking shit, he was then not protected because again we're fucking shit. His attack at centre was good, defence obviously terrible. Then again out outside back defence is terrible no matter who plays there, he has at least improved his tackling this season imo.
Some kids handle it quicker than others, the jump up to FG. Admittedly Burton is playing in a much better squad with better coaching staff but he has handled the top grade like he is meant to be there, in multiple positions.

Jake needs time and much better coaching and then when it all clicks he will be a gun

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes a runner needs to be tried at fb next year

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I personally reckon he is just lazy and doesn't have the heart to have a dig week in week out. Soft and complacent. Needs to be 14 and brought on to roam around the middle in last 10-15mins of each half.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Some kids handle it quicker than others, the jump up to FG. Admittedly Burton is playing in a much better squad with better coaching staff but he has handled the top grade like he is meant to be there, in multiple positions.

Jake needs time and much better coaching and then when it all clicks he will be a gun
I don't know if he will be a gun, all I know is that he's a very good ball runner and can create opportunities when he runs the ball. His confidence is shit now, hopefully he can bounce back next season.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our defence is shambles in general. Our contact is bad across the park, our middles aren't dominant enough, we don't work as a unit, etc. He will never be a strong defender but if we sort a lot of the other issues out then it won't be a major issue.
Yeah that’s on the coach, you don’t need a team of million dollar players to have a good defensive system, we throw absolutely nothing at oppositions in attack, so we should be up for defending

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Didnt even start in the centres in school boy finals. Literally come off the bench as a utility with 5 mins remaining in the game. What does that tell you about him.
No, I meant Flegg with us, he played majority of that season at centre.

Karitiana was the half - when he was injured I think Avo went to half.

He was on a development contract this year but I’m assuming injured?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah that’s on the coach, you don’t need a team of million dollar players to have a good defensive system, we throw absolutely nothing at oppositions in attack, so we should be up for defending
This is my issue with Baz...as I've said multiple times I think he has tried to get us to run before we can walk. He wanted to play all cute and totally neglected the basics. You just have to look at something like our kick chase and it says it all.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In what position? Burton is our running half
Somewhere... He is a footballer like Burton, could easily play in the halves, FB or at centre. He is still too raw to settle into a position but he is definitely learning the aspects of a NRL footy team this year which will help him immensely one day where ever he ends up.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo isn't the problem, it's the way we are coached and the fact that Averillo is no half. He should be at the centres taking Hopa's spot or at fullback where he can utilise his running game.
Agree, and even if he is to play in the halves he needs to be a 6, his running is his strong point not organising and kicking. I can't work why they don't try different things, it's the same shit game after game, play one out then when there is 10 min left they start throwing it around, fuckn joke

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s just it though, next year with the players that are coming, he doesn’t play first grade unless off the bench at best?
Next year is a different ball game , the added talent should improve the current ones but without a proper hooker and halfback we would still struggle !!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is Barrett safe mate, seems he has 1 plan, it doesn’t work, seems a 1 trick pony, also now blaming the refs, we look shit week in week out, blaming the refs to try and deflect is just embarrassing, how Katoa wasn’t dragged after his first infringement is beyond me, he then went on another 3 times, same happened with Elliott earlier in the year, seems he has no feel for the game and goes in with 1 thought at the start of the game and doesn’t change from it no matter how fucked op things are going
In my opinion no one is safe but TBaz has rebuilt well and still working on signing a hooker and a half, he deserves a fair go.
Yes we have been playing average and we pay for our mistakes but it doesn't justify how unfair we have been caned by the refs yet the warriors got away with the same infringements.
I don't want to single out anyone, a change is as good as a holiday and Elliott needs one.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Avo is 100% like Mbye. Has the skills but has NFi. Is not a FG standard half whatsoever. The quicker we lower our expectations the better it is for the club. He shouldn't be in the halves with Burton next year.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why the fuck is jackson getting the ball first receiver ,avo and bbo need to b first receiver.
By the time they get it defence has come up.
Jackson's passing is not crisp and early.
FFS doorey has a better passing game he looks like a natural
Well, we use to have Tolman on the 4th....now we have Jacko on the 1st.

Both think they're halfbacks and like getting in the way, in attack.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t think BBO can play at 7 next year, I reckon he’s a better utility than Avo at this stage.
If it were up to me BBO would be starting hooker. That's clearly where he makes the most impact.

As for Avo, if need be he can start in the halves. Burton will do most of the kicking and organising regardless of who partners him.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Next year is a different ball game , the added talent should improve the current ones but without a proper hooker and halfback we would still struggle !!!
Agree. Without a capable hooker and half we will still struggle.

We don't even need "rockstars" in those positions, just solid consistent players that can do their job each week. With our other recruits next year we will have plenty of strike but we need our half and hooker to set it up

I remember at the start of the year Tbaz said he just needs Flanno to play a consistent 7/10 each week which is just getting the basics right....but he has failed

If we don't land the Cheese and or Pearce for next year I honestly would be looking at Mitch Rein and Adam Clune or even Sean O'Sullivan as all are off contract and both are better than what we have.

The way JMK just casually walks back onside and to dummy half shits me no end. He has no intensity, has no crisp service, and hooker is central to getting the team on the front foot and JMK today looked like he didn't give a shit. It's just hard to watch

I think it's vital that we strengthen both positions in some shape or form for next year

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. Without a capable hooker and half we will still struggle.

We don't even need "rockstars" in those positions, just solid consistent players that can do their job each week. With our other recruits next year we will have plenty of strike but we need our half and hooker to set it up

I remember at the start of the year Tbaz said he just needs Flanno to play a consistent 7/10 each week which is just getting the basics right....but he has failed

If we don't land the Cheese and or Pearce for next year I honestly would be looking at Mitch Rein and Adam Clune or even Sean O'Sullivan as all are off contract and both are better than what we have.

The way JMK just casually walks back onside and to dummy half shits me no end. He has no intensity, has no crisp service, and hooker is central to getting the team on the front foot and JMK today looked like he didn't give a shit. It's just hard to watch

I think it's vital that we strengthen both positions in some shape or form for next year
I agree JMK is not the answer at hooker, at best he is a bench player.
We need players that can make a difference at hooker and half, I am sick of rejects !!!

Last edited: