News Jake Averillo vows to silence critics and lock down Bulldogs’ No.7 spot

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Love it how so many shoot Averillo down so early in his career.

I haven't seen him do enough yet, but there certainly is a lot of potential there.

If the team hasn't got good defence and always back peddling and are riddled with mistakes and the discipline is poor, your halves ain't doing shit with the ball.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On ya Jake
Hopefully has a great game to keep the pitchforks away for at least another week

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Love it how so many shoot Averillo down so early in his career.

I haven't seen him do enough yet, but there certainly is a lot of potential there.

If the team hasn't got good defence and always back peddling and are riddled with mistakes and the discipline is poor, your halves ain't doing shit with the ball.
I can understand people complaining about him as a half because he has spent very little time actually playing there, but their refusal to accept that we literally don't have another option at this stage and Jake is the best of what we got is the issue. They will all say BBO but I guarantee they will turn just as quickly on him if he doesn't live up to their expectations.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Story from Daily Telegraph

A defiant Jake Averillo has vowed to silence his halfback detractors and insists he is the long-term answer in the No.7 jumper at Canterbury.

Coach Trent Barrett has opted to start the season with two five-eighths in the halves, youngster Averillo and Matt Burton.

But as running players, the similarities in their respective games have left the likes of Braith Anasta, who helped the Bulldogs to a title in 2004, and Wests Tigers great Benji Marshall questioning if the Bulldogs are missing out on an organising halfback with Averillo at No.7.

Averillo has heard the criticism and is preparing to prove the naysayers wrong, starting against North Queensland on Sunday.

“I think you will be seeing a very different game from me on the weekend,” Averillo said. “I’m going to be getting myself into better positions to make my mark on the game.

“I’ve already looked at my game from my past two trial matches.

“I know I’ve needed a few tweaks … and I have been putting that out on the training paddock already this week. It’s about getting my hands on the ball, playing to my strengths, receiving the ball where I like it and need it to be.

“I think that will get me into the game a bit more and give me confidence.”

Despite having career halfbacks Kyle Flanagan, Brandon Wakeham and Bailey Biondi-Odo as options, Barrett has put his faith in local junior Averillo.

Averillo, who is signed at Belmore until the end of season 2023, is working on his game management skills, not only to repay Barrett but to nail down the halfback spot into the future.

“I think I’m capable,” Averillo said. “I’m only young and I’m learning tough lessons but the main thing is I’m determined to learn from them and that is only going to make me a better player.”

The 21-year old made his debut in the NRL from the bench and was then shifted into the centres. However, Averillo is committed to making a go of it in the Bulldogs’ spine.

Fullback is another option for Averillo beyond this season given new recruit Matt Dufty is only on a one-year deal at Belmore.

“I don’t see myself in the outside backs,” Averillo said. “I’m definitely in the spine. The No.7 is my spot at the moment and I want to make it mine.”

Turning around Canterbury’s attacking woes will help Averillo cement a place in the halves.

Over the past five seasons, Canterbury has had one of the least effective attacks, finishing with the least tries in the competition in 2021, 2019 and 2017 and second least in 2020 and 2018.

The struggle for points continued in the Bulldogs’ 30-6 loss to Cronulla in week two of the trials. However, Averillo believes Canterbury’s new-look side, which will include eight club debutants against the Cowboys, has enough strike power to deliver “20 points a game”.

“If we can cut down the errors and tighten up our discipline and give ourselves a few more opportunities on the tryline, we have a good 20 points in us each game easily, I reckon,” Averillo said.

“We have attacking flare all over the park. We can create something out of nothing.

“If you look at the trial game against the Knights, and it was similar against the Sharks, we scored two runaway tries, and three for the whole game.”
Talk is cheap.

Averillo isn't and will never be the halfback we need (ie if we are talking about winning premierships).

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone will improve including Luke Thompson if we had someone else than JMK at Hooker.
100%. Let’s not forget JMK was a half that was thrust into being a hooker also. So it’s not his fault he isn’t the perfect 9. I fee sorry for him as his career has been derailed by positional selections also.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He said nothing about silencing critics. Just that he's working hard on his game and hopes he can improve on his mistakes as a half. At least he didn't talk about being top 5 unlike some.
The delusion of JMK knows no bounds

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Talk is cheap.

Averillo isn't and will never be the halfback we need (ie if we are talking about winning premierships).
Thats all well and good, but first we need to worry about Cowboys and Broncos etc and we dont have another obvious choice. BBO hasnt played enough footy in the last 2 years, Flange is sitting in Gods waiting room for a transfer and Wakeham is no improvement. Averillo has more natural talent then all of them but needs to come out of his shell to get heavily involved and not go missing. He needs to stand up now or it will be never.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You silence a critic by not saying a word to the media working overtime on your game coming out on game day and playing well. Actions speak louder then words.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost as funny as JMK wanting to be a top 5 hooker jake is a great utility not a controlling half

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Thats all well and good, but first we need to worry about Cowboys and Broncos etc and we dont have another obvious choice. BBO hasnt played enough footy in the last 2 years, Flange is sitting in Gods waiting room for a transfer and Wakeham is no improvement. Averillo has more natural talent then all of them but needs to come out of his shell to get heavily involved and not go missing. He needs to stand up now or it will be never.
I agree with you - none of the others you mentioned really stood up during the trials. And yes we need to give someone first go there. I would swap everyone of them as a package to have Adam Reynolds in our team.

I want to be optimistic about season 2022 but watching that trial against Cronulla (which was actually making me feel physically sick and I had to turn it off after about an hour) we looked horribly like the Bulldogs of 2021 and 2020 etc etc.

Our attack was directionless. Yes I know JMK plays his role in this but Averillo just seemed to disappear or take the wrong options. It just felt like we were an expensive ship with all our new recruits but had no rudder.

Halfback is such a key position.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You silence a critic by not saying a word to the media working overtime on your game coming out on game day and playing well. Actions speak louder then words.
And what be like that wanker Darius Boyd saying one word answers to the media!
Thats shit for fans!

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALL TALK LETS SEE SOME FKN ACTION I BELIEVE IN YOU AVO I HOPE :grinning:

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My god 3 for the whole game??? GIVE US THE TROPHY NOW!

At least we're not the only ones happy to lose but at least score some tries :tearsofjoy:
2 of those were from bad passes from the Knights and were against their run of play. It wasn’t due to any of our attacking prowess - maybe earned through some good defence if anything, but to score one try in a game in attack with the current rules is a worry.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Cmon Jakey. We need you to fire probably more than anyone else in our team.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Jake wants to improve his game he has to learn to play second fiddle to Burton and let Burton call the shots. Other wise it will be more of the same clunky attack with no real direction until we land a proper number 7.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is the sort of crap I am really sick of. I don't want to hear more talk about how someone is gonna do this or that. Actions NOT words are all that matters now if we want to get this club out of the shithole.