News Jake Averillo vows to silence critics and lock down Bulldogs’ No.7 spot

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Story from Daily Telegraph

A defiant Jake Averillo has vowed to silence his halfback detractors and insists he is the long-term answer in the No.7 jumper at Canterbury.

Coach Trent Barrett has opted to start the season with two five-eighths in the halves, youngster Averillo and Matt Burton.

But as running players, the similarities in their respective games have left the likes of Braith Anasta, who helped the Bulldogs to a title in 2004, and Wests Tigers great Benji Marshall questioning if the Bulldogs are missing out on an organising halfback with Averillo at No.7.

Averillo has heard the criticism and is preparing to prove the naysayers wrong, starting against North Queensland on Sunday.

“I think you will be seeing a very different game from me on the weekend,” Averillo said. “I’m going to be getting myself into better positions to make my mark on the game.

“I’ve already looked at my game from my past two trial matches.

“I know I’ve needed a few tweaks … and I have been putting that out on the training paddock already this week. It’s about getting my hands on the ball, playing to my strengths, receiving the ball where I like it and need it to be.

“I think that will get me into the game a bit more and give me confidence.”

Despite having career halfbacks Kyle Flanagan, Brandon Wakeham and Bailey Biondi-Odo as options, Barrett has put his faith in local junior Averillo.

Averillo, who is signed at Belmore until the end of season 2023, is working on his game management skills, not only to repay Barrett but to nail down the halfback spot into the future.

“I think I’m capable,” Averillo said. “I’m only young and I’m learning tough lessons but the main thing is I’m determined to learn from them and that is only going to make me a better player.”

The 21-year old made his debut in the NRL from the bench and was then shifted into the centres. However, Averillo is committed to making a go of it in the Bulldogs’ spine.

Fullback is another option for Averillo beyond this season given new recruit Matt Dufty is only on a one-year deal at Belmore.

“I don’t see myself in the outside backs,” Averillo said. “I’m definitely in the spine. The No.7 is my spot at the moment and I want to make it mine.”

Turning around Canterbury’s attacking woes will help Averillo cement a place in the halves.

Over the past five seasons, Canterbury has had one of the least effective attacks, finishing with the least tries in the competition in 2021, 2019 and 2017 and second least in 2020 and 2018.

The struggle for points continued in the Bulldogs’ 30-6 loss to Cronulla in week two of the trials. However, Averillo believes Canterbury’s new-look side, which will include eight club debutants against the Cowboys, has enough strike power to deliver “20 points a game”.

“If we can cut down the errors and tighten up our discipline and give ourselves a few more opportunities on the tryline, we have a good 20 points in us each game easily, I reckon,” Averillo said.

“We have attacking flare all over the park. We can create something out of nothing.

“If you look at the trial game against the Knights, and it was similar against the Sharks, we scored two runaway tries, and three for the whole game.”

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you actually listen to the real interview he did say that.
I'd rather hear no interviews I'm over what these dumb campaigners say period. Time to do something and this week is the first test so watch them lose

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd rather hear no interviews I'm over what these dumb campaigners say period. Time to do something and this week is the first test so watch them lose
The shut the fuck up and don't comment. Players have to do interviews and answer questions.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

A defiant Jake Averillo has vowed to silence his halfback detractors and insists he is the long-term answer in the No.7 jumper at Canterbury.

Coach Trent Barrett has opted to start the season with two five-eighths in the halves, youngster Averillo and Matt Burton.

But as running players, the similarities in their respective games have left the likes of Braith Anasta, who helped the Bulldogs to a title in 2004, and Wests Tigers great Benji Marshall questioning if the Bulldogs are missing out on an organising halfback with Averillo at No.7.

Averillo has heard the criticism and is preparing to prove the naysayers wrong, starting against North Queensland on Sunday.

“I think you will be seeing a very different game from me on the weekend,” Averillo said. “I’m going to be getting myself into better positions to make my mark on the game.

“I know I’ve needed a few tweaks … and I have been putting that out on the training paddock already this week. It’s about getting my hands on the ball, playing to my strengths, receiving the ball where I like it and need it to be.

Despite having career halfbacks Kyle Flanagan, Brandon Wakeham and Bailey Biondi-Odo as options, Barrett has put his faith in local junior Averillo.

Averillo, who is signed at Belmore until the end of season 2023, is working on his game management skills, not only to repay Barrett but to nail down the halfback spot into the future.

“I think I’m capable,” Averillo said. “I’m only young and I’m learning tough lessons but the main thing is I’m determined to learn from them and that is only going to make me a better player.”

The 21-year old made his debut in the NRL from the bench and was then shifted into the centres. However, Averillo is committed to making a go of it in the Bulldogs’ spine.

Fullback is another option for Averillo beyond this season given new recruit Matt Dufty is only on a one-year deal at Belmore.

“I don’t see myself in the outside backs,” Averillo said. “I’m definitely in the spine. The No.7 is my spot at the moment and I want to make it mine.”

Turning around Canterbury’s attacking woes will help Averillo cement a place in the halves.

Over the past five seasons, Canterbury has had one of the least effective attacks, finishing with the least tries in the competition in 2021, 2019 and 2017 and second least in 2020 and 2018.

The struggle for points continued in the Bulldogs’ 30-6 loss to Cronulla in week two of the trials. However, Averillo believes Canterbury’s new-look side, which will include eight club debutants against the Cowboys, has enough strike power to deliver “20 points a game”.

“If we can cut down the errors and tighten up our discipline and give ourselves a few more opportunities on the tryline, we have a good 20 points in us each game easily, I reckon,” Averillo said.

“We have attacking flare all over the park. We can create something out of nothing.

“If you look at the trial game against the Knights, and it was similar against the Sharks, we scored two runaway tries, and three for the whole game.”
You reckon he can learn to tackle with his shoulder? U6 teaches that as a first thing

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is no similarities between burton and averillo. Burton is a gun and averillo is a shit. They are miles apart from each other.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I want the best for every player that pulls on the dogs jersey and I really hope he can do what he says but deep down I don't think he's the answer., neither is Flanno or Wakeham.

We've solved one issue with Reed coming next year but there's still two questions in the spine with the fullback and halfback, the coming weeks will tell us alot.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really hope he can kill it but am yet to be convinced. Has to demand the ball, have everyone organised as the halfback he needs to run the team

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The only way Jake could silence his critics is by taping balled up socks in their mouths.