News Jake Averillo Ready To Fight For Fullback Spot As Bulldogs Start Negotiations With Local Junior

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully Ciraldo can get him playing with more urgency and involvement.
I think his success will come down to how well he adapts to organising Ciraldo's defensive structure.
We know he has speed, a good footy instinct, and is already a competent fullback (while no Superstar...yet).
Now he needs to get organising, talking and directing more, and stepping up to take control - this is what elite fullbacks do so well.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wont write him off until hes had an offseason at fb ,I couldn’t imagine many players killing it getting thrown into fb mid season

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My biggest issue with him is he doesn't put his body on the line enough & seems to be afraid of contact at times. Needs to improve that if he wants to be a top fullback.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Via Telegraph Sport Fatima Kdouh

The Bulldogs have shown the door to multiple players during the past couple of months, but there is one local junior that is in the long term plans of the Belmore club.

Jake Averillo knows staying at Canterbury means rising winger Jacob Kiraz will be gunning for his fullback spot, but the local junior can’t see himself in any colours other than the blue and white of the Bulldogs.

The playmaker is in the final year of his deal at Belmore and the club has started negotiations to keep the 22-year-old at the club.

The Bankstown junior told The Daily Telegraph he wants to be part of new coach Cameron Ciraldo’s rebuild.

“I’d love to stay at the club. They have been really good to me in the last couple of years. Being a local junior, I’d love to stay here. There are big things happening under Ciro (Ciraldo),” Averillo said.

“Walking in on day one of pre-season it just felt refreshing, the club is on the up and I want to be part of that.”

Averillo is keen to cement the fullback spot long-term after interim coach Mick Potter handed him the No. 1 jumper in round 14 last season.

After being shuffled between the halves, centre and even used off the bench, since making his debut in 2020, Averillo believes fullback is his new home.

“I’m feeling good about the move. I’m keen to get a full pre-season at fullback, it will be my first full pre-season there. I’m new to the position but getting the last few weeks under my belt has been good. I want to lock down that position,” Averillo said.

The club is looking at Penrith superstar centre Stephen Crichton, who has ambitions to play fullback. So too Kiraz, who impressed for Lebanon in the No. 1 jumper at the World Cup.

But Averillo won’t shy away from either challenge and will use the competition with Kiraz over the summer as motivation.

“He’s (Kiraz) just a football player, he’s real fast and dynamic. He has good instincts and he’s hard to tackle,” Averillo said.

“I know he’ll be at my heels but also pushing me to be better. But that’s what I want. You want teammates pushing each other.”

Averillo was one of seven locally produced players in the Bulldogs squad who had their junior club surprised with a donation at the Canterbury-Bankstown Junior League gala on Wednesday.

The funding is a recognition of the role junior clubs in the district have played in developing the likes of Averillo and Kiraz.

The Canterbury League Club donated $500 for every year the player was with the junior club, with Averillo’s six years at Bankstown Sports earning the club $3000.

Kiraz’s 10 years at St Johns netted the Eagles $5000.

“This is going to mean a lot. Most people at junior clubs are volunteers, they are parents just trying to help out. Junior clubs are like your second home, I spent all my weekends there. I’d play on Saturday and go back on Sunday to watch the older boys play,” Averillo said.

“It’s where I started playing footy and where I feel in love with rugby league.

“So any kind of money will go a long way to help the clubs. It’s a thank you for them, to give back to them what they have given to me.”

The Berala Bears were also awarded $5000 as the district‘s club of the year.

The initiative was designed to grow the production line of future NRL talent from the Canterbury-Bankstown district, where the likes of club legends George Peponis, Steve Folkes and Terry Lamb all played their junior football.
Good luck Avo
Sadly for some people they could only see the half cup empty.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely want him to do well but what type of fullback would he be like? ATM he reminds me of Dufty…

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really like this kid, he bleeds blue and white, I feel he was rushed into 1st grade and since then his development has been really poorly handled … half’s to centre, centre to half’s, back to reggie’s one week, back to 1st the next, was he also out on the wing at one stage?

Potter and Sandercock moving him to FB was the first positive move for the kid, with a full pre season and the new coaching staff actually working with him in that position, I’m backing him to surprise a lot of naysayers and have a great 2023 ..

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
BIggest thing Avo is missing is self-belief and I'm not confident he will find it in time. He had ample opportunity last year and his first game at FB was great. Next 1 or 2 were good and then went missing again. Once again, self-belief. Personally I believe he could be an awesome FB BUT it doesn't matter what I think, he needs to. No-one owes anyone anything so if he wants it he needs to take it. Talk is cheap!

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought he went well at FB last season. First few games were good. Then he got Covid and like the rest of the team kind of fell to shit the last few games. Hoping a big pre season can help him nail the FB spot.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I thought he went well at FB last season. First few games were good. Then he got Covid and like the rest of the team kind of fell to shit the last few games. Hoping a big pre season can help him nail the FB spot.
Be cheaper than getting Crichton over that's for sure!

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really like this kid, he bleeds blue and white, I feel he was rushed into 1st grade and since then his development has been really poorly handled … half’s to centre, centre to half’s, back to reggie’s one week, back to 1st the next, was he also out on the wing at one stage?

Potter and Sandercock moving him to FB was the first positive move for the kid, with a full pre season and the new coaching staff actually working with him in that position, I’m backing him to surprise a lot of naysayers and have a great 2023 ..
I totally agree with everything you say & am really looking forward to watch him play behind better players.
1967 was a great year for the Berries except for try scoring job, McCarthy Bob.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with everything you say & am really looking forward to watch him play behind better players.
1967 was a great year for the Berries except for try scoring job, McCarthy Bob.
True mate, I’ve been with them through all the ups and downs since then ..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He needs to model his game on dylan edwards,his base is fitness everything else flows ,competing on every play ,mental toughness etc ,lets see after finallly getting rid of that dud ferris how he goes